Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM

926 posts, read 416,690 times

Advertisements

I'm familiar with Birmingham, but not with Atlanta. So for those of you who know both cities: which is safer?

Is crime in ATL mainly concentrated in a few neighborhoods? What is the downtown/city center area like, safety wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:30 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Depends on where you are. Seriously.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM

748 posts, read 338,953 times
Quote:
Depends on where you are. Seriously.
Agreed. I don't think downtowns of most cities have been any significant issue in decades. Perhaps certain neighborhoods, but not really downtowns as much.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
It honestly depends.

To be all the way thorough, all the white guys work with have a “I got robbed in the wrong neighborhood stopping for gas at night” story here in Atlanta. I don’t have that issue. I stop on the west side to get gas every other night. My working idea is that if you look out of place in certain areas Atlanta, people will try you.

I’m sure the same applies in different aspect acrosss the bridge if I go deep into Forsyth. Mugging isn’t big there, but there is a confrontational element because I’m “out of place”

With that said, Birmingham probably has more of centralized crime issue, whereas here the crime sparsely spread out in like 4 counties. So in Atlanta I think you’ll have to learn a lot more areas than you would in Birmingham.

That’s the most sense I can make out of it.

You can’t just look at crime stats without putting them in context.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM

264 posts, read 249,932 times
I feel crime is always concentrated no matter what city. So as far as one being more dangerous than the other is being pretty ambiguous. Even the crime ridden cities you here about in the media like Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans as long as you avoid the bad areas you're fine. Atlanta and Birmingham certainly aren't winning awards in overall safety but as the above poster said: the core isn't usually dangerous if at all. It's mainly in neighborhood areas.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Birmingham is like Chicago and the Southside, in Bham, most of the crime is concentrated to the West, which statistically makes Birmingham seems more dangerous than what it is.

Now Atlanta is a bigger, much sprawling city, so anything can go down wherever. It really just depends on how much you know the areas, and how you carry yourself. I’ve seen fights at Lenox, shootouts in Midtown, etc.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Birmingham is like Chicago and the Southside, in Bham, most of the crime is concentrated to the West, which statistically makes Birmingham seems more dangerous than what it is.

Now Atlanta is a bigger, much sprawling city, so anything can go down wherever. It really just depends on how much you know the areas, and how you carry yourself. I’ve seen fights at Lenox, shootouts in Midtown, etc.
The same could be said for Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
The same could be said for Atlanta.
Not really. Southwest/west Atlanta, South Fulton, South Dekalb, parts or Marietta/Smyrna, South Gwinnet.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
in general, areas west of I-65 and North of I-20/59 tend to be the more dangerous areas of birmingham.

i've lived in this city for 17 years and have never once felt unsafe.

would agree that the city centers in both are pretty safe.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
Certain pockets of area of both probably have their fair share of crime. It's not like an entire specific side of each city has crime. Specific pockets of a neigbhorhood on that particular side of town might have more than others. To general lump an entire side into one to avoid because of a few bad spots is not a accurate way to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City