Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times

Advertisements

Disappointing

Philadelphia '99: I was in my late-teens at the time. I found it be a crime-ridden, dangerous, ugly city. Trash was everywhere. Prostitutes. Drug deals going on.

Pittsburgh: Everyone talks about how underrated and up-and-coming it is. I think it was also recently ranked the most livable city in the country. While, I did find it beautiful (and I wouldn't mind living there), I really didn't find there to be all that much to do, and their downtown area was really quite dead. Not a bad city, but it was talked up so much I was disappointed.

San Diego: I'm sure I'm going to make a lot of enemies here. Much like Pittsburgh this is a beautiful city that leaves something to be desired. In terms of restaurants, there was Mexican restaurants, chain restaurants, and Mexican chain restaurants. Given it's size and the amount of wealth in the city, I was expecting more in terms of the fine arts and culture. The Ocean Beach district was awesome, but otherwise it seemed like a city of tourist traps and strip malls. I lived there for one summer back in '02, and I haven't been back since. I hope it's changed.

Surprising

Philadelphia '09: The city cleaned itself up and I grew up. This time I found Philly to be a clean, fun, vibrant city with great bars, restaurants, neighborhoods, and gardens to explore. It's now one of my favorite cities in the country, and I try to visit once a year.

Lexington: I was on a road trip and pulled off the highway just to stop in Lexington just for a quick lunch. I ended up staying for an entire day. Great bars, amazing food, wonderful coffee shops, lots of cultural events, friendly people, and lots of live music. I could totally live here.

Indianapolis: A lot of people talk $h1t about Indy, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's in Chicago's shadow. Perhaps, since Northern Indiana is so boring, people write the whole state off? I donno, but I had a great time here. Great museums and wonderful neighborhoods to explore. In terms up monuments, Indy is second only to Washington DC, and they're all so beautiful all lit up at night. I also love how the city is traversed with so many cool bike trails that run along the city's rivers, parks, and creeks.

Oklahoma City: While Pittsburgh is a nice city that just didn't meet my expectations, OKC is the opposite. I'm not itching to go back, and I wouldn't live here. That said, I was expecting a smaller version of Phoenix without the interesting topography. OKC met and exceeded those modest expectations. I enjoyed exploring the Paseo Arts District, I met some fun people (radical Marxists oddly enough), went to some great bars, and had some awesome Brazilian food. Again, it's not on the top of my list, but there are certainly worse places to go for a work conference.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 01-19-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
[quote=Dawn.Davenport;38081429]
Indianapolis: A lot of people talk $h1t about Indy, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's in Chicago's shadow. Perhaps, since Northern Indiana is so boring, people write the whole state off? I donno, but I had a great time here. Great museums and wonderful neighborhoods to explore. In terms up monuments, Indy is second only to Washington DC, and they're all so beautiful all lit up at night. I also love how the city is traversed with so many cool bike trails that run along the city's rivers, parks, and creeks.

I agree with you, Indianapolis is totally underrated. It's very walkable with river trails and I like that the zoo is so close to downtown.

That was one of my surprises as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Cool thread, despite the simpletons arguing with each other over opinions and misinformation.

Surprised:

San Antonio - Was down there for work several years ago. Downtown had a cool vibe. And of course, the Riverwalk was fun. A couple Air Force folks I worked with at the base took me to some hole in the wall cantinas and I had some pretty incredible grub. The suburban sprawl was a bit boring. Actually, when I first arrived in Tampa and drove the 'burbs, I remarked to my wife that I felt like we were in the San Antonio 'burbs. They look remarkably identical in their bland sameness, with each store having its own road sign (I ... *hate*... that). But again, downtown was cool. I found the best heavy metal radio station in the history of the universe while I was there. Wish I could remember what it was.

Portland - This is an older surprise. I've been visiting Portland since the mid 90s back before it became the hipster magnet it is today. First time I went to visit my father who had just relocated there, I was blown away at how beautiful it was, and its funky, eclectic vibe (especially in Southeast Portland where my dad, an aging hippie, lives). Nowadays when I visit, I see lots of reminders of how whitewashed and gentrified it has become, but it's still a fun place for a craft beer lover like myself to visit. And I always love visiting Multnomah Falls. Can't get enough of that place.

Philadelphia - Philly gets a bad rap, mostly deservedly. Being a kid from DC, I sort of felt at home in downtown Philly with its rather stately and beautiful historic architecture. There are so many cool places to visit in downtown and the city has a pulse that felt all too familiar. I dug it. Not gonna lie. I still hate Philadelphians more than just about anyone, though.

Manitou Springs, CO - Despite its proximity to CO Springs, a town that would rank as one of the ugliest in existence if it were not for being at the Rockies' doorstep, Manitou Springs is so, so very pretty and quaint. I'd retire there in a heartbeat.

St. Petersburg - You can skip most of St. Pete, as it's a decaying, overbuilt dump, but downtown St. Pete is transforming into an artsy, beautiful place with a new bar or restaurant seemingly popping up daily. Tampa's downtown is about to begin transforming as well thanks to a huge investment on the part of Jeff Vinik to radically transform the area currently known as Channelside, but St. Pete has a head start on the whole revitalization thing in Tampa Bay. Now if Tampa can only swipe the Rays away from St. Pete...

Disappointed:

Tucson - Most of the city is a run down dump, and per my brother in law, when the winds are blowing in a certain direction you get a smell that temporarily renames the area "Poo son." We experienced it on day 2. Sunsets were cool though, especially watching from Saguaro National Park. Just make sure to wear pants and watch where you're walking every step.

Los Angeles - Fun to visit, but I'd never in a million years want to live there. The sprawl, the COL, the horrible, HORRIBLE air quality, the fake people. No thanks.

Dayton - Not that I had high hopes, but my god what a depressing place.

Any place in Connecticut - I can't explain it. I just hate that state. The people are so cold and distant. It's like they're screaming "please kill me" with their eyes.
I love your first line, so true about City data. I agree with a lot of your posts which is cool. I agree with most of what you say, you are one of the few people on this site I actually agree with on a lot of your posts.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Disappointing

Philadelphia '99: I was in my late-teens at the time. I found it be a crime-ridden, dangerous, ugly city. Trash was everywhere. Prostitutes. Drug deals going on.

Pittsburgh: Everyone talks about how underrated and up-and-coming it is. I think it was also recently ranked the most livable city in the country. While, I did find it beautiful (and I wouldn't mind living there), I really didn't find there to be all that much to do, and their downtown area was really quite dead. Not a bad city, but it was talked up so much I was disappointed.

San Diego: I'm sure I'm going to make a lot of enemies here. Much like Pittsburgh this is a beautiful city that leaves something to be desired. In terms of restaurants, there was Mexican restaurants, chain restaurants, and Mexican chain restaurants. Given it's size and the amount of wealth in the city, I was expecting more in terms of the fine arts and culture. The Ocean Beach district was awesome, but otherwise it seemed like a city of tourist traps and strip malls. I lived there for one summer back in '02, and I haven't been back since. I hope it's changed.

Surprising

Philadelphia '09: The city cleaned itself up and I grew up. This time I found Philly to be a clean, fun, vibrant city with great bars, restaurants, neighborhoods, and gardens to explore. It's now one of my favorite cities in the country, and I try to visit once a year.

Lexington: I was on a road trip and pulled off the highway just to stop in Lexington just for a quick lunch. I ended up staying for an entire day. Great bars, amazing food, wonderful coffee shops, lots of cultural events, friendly people, and lots of live music. I could totally live here.

Oklahoma City: While Pittsburgh is a nice city that just didn't meet my expectations, OKC is the opposite. I'm not itching to go back, and I wouldn't live here. That said, I was expecting a smaller version of Phoenix without the interesting topography. OKC met and exceeded those modest expectations. I enjoyed exploring the Paseo Arts District, I met some fun people (radical Marxists oddly enough), went to some great bars, and had some awesome Brazilian food. Again, it's not on the top of my list, but there are certainly worse places to go for a work conference.
I agree with your posts, thanks for giving Lexington some love. It is a great livable city but it can get boring its a really small city with a large university in it and other than UK sporting events it can get boring. Love and agree with most of your posts as well. I am moving out of Lexington this summer to move to Nashville, you should check out Nashville if you like Lexington, Nashville people are super friendly and they have more to do in Nashville than Lexington.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I agree with your posts, thanks for giving Lexington some love. It is a great livable city but it can get boring its a really small city with a large university in it and other than UK sporting events it can get boring. Love and agree with most of your posts as well. I am moving out of Lexington this summer to move to Nashville, you should check out Nashville if you like Lexington, Nashville people are super friendly and they have more to do in Nashville than Lexington.
I plan on it. Last time I was in the South, I was tempted to hop down and check out Nashville (I was only like 120 miles away), but I didn't have time. I've never been to Tennessee, but have been wanting to visit for awhile. I've heard nice things about Knoxville as well.

But as far as Kentucky goes, Louisville is one of my favorite cities in country. It offers so much, but with out the materialism and trendiness that you find in other larger cities.

Best of luck to you on your next adventure.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Did you venture out of Downtown at all? While Downtown is better than it used to be, Pittsburgh is all about the neighborhoods like South Side, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, etc.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Surprising

Oklahoma City
Liked the Bricktown district and the Bricktown Canal. Was able to walk from the OKC Bombing Memorial to Bricktown without having 3 young kids meltdown. Kids enjoyed Bricktown Canal.

Disappointing

San Antonio
A disclaimer - everyone should take in San Antonio once. The Riverwalk is both an experience to behold and a nightmare to avoid. It's almost always packed to the gills with tourists and walking along the Riverwalk can be an adventure. I can't imagine trying it drunk without falling in. When you go to The Alamo try to keep the history of the building in mind because once you get in (after waiting in line for an hour or more) you'll be very underwhelmed. There's nothing to it. The courtyard is bigger than the building. My kids had more fun at the Texas Transportation Museum than they did at The Alamo.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Did you venture out of Downtown at all? While Downtown is better than it used to be, Pittsburgh is all about the neighborhoods like South Side, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, etc.
I didn't see Lawrenceville (just googled it though, and I'd love to check it out next time), but I did see South Side, Shadyside, and Oakland.

Shadyside was nice. Albeit unremarkable, I could see myself living there.

Oakland felt like a dime-a-dozen college town.

South Side...let's just say wasn't my cup of tea...cough, cough, yuppie crap, cough.

Uptown was a ghost town with some cool architecture.

Overall there's nothing wrong with Pittsburgh. And, apart from South Side, there's nothing I disliked about it. It was just talked up so much by my so many people that I was expecting something akin to Minneapolis or Toronto. And while Pittsburgh is nice, it felt like a hillier version of Rochester with a better skyline--a far cry from Minneapolis or Toronto.

That said, with the exception of (maybe) San Francisco, IMO it is the most beautiful city in the country. The skyline is gorgeous among the lush hills. The city has a ton of character. I love sycamore tress, and Pittsburgh has plenty. I enjoyed the laidback, non-pretentious attitude. I also feel like it has the least amount of suburban sprawl of any city in the country.

Overall, I'm pretty pro-burgh; it just didn't meet my expectations.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
In what aspects do you think that Houston is a better city than LA or NYC?
The cost of living is the main thing I don't like about LA and NYC. LA and NYC are good places to visit but they're not good places to live because they're way overpriced. The taxes and the housing prices are way too high. So my dislike of these cities is mainly the cost of living not the cities themselves.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:23 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I felt disappointed in El Paso, seemed dirty and like the odd duck of Texas. A close second for disappointed is Amarillo.

I was surpised at Omaha, it seems to have more amenities then I expected. I guess like most of us I assumed Nebraska was a whole lot of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City