Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times

Advertisements

Houston may be known for NASA oil, but living in the city what makes it unique is that it is a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants. The effect is felt city-wide and is truly a unique dynamic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM

139 posts, read 207,785 times
Well I'd say lifeguards. It's always odd to be strolling through a major city and see a bunch of barefoot, bleach-blond lads around you.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM

123 posts, read 291,664 times
My hometown (Philadelphia) is known for its history (The birth place of America), Food( Cheese steaks, Hoagies, Scrapple), and the murals as another poster said. Musically Philadelphia has a beautiful soul music culture. Artist like Patti Labelle, Teddy Pendergrass, Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild, Boys 2 men, and others come from Philly.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM

469 posts, read 970,487 times
Memphis.
The literal birthplace of Rock n Roll and formulation point of the recorded Delta Blues. The process began with W.C. Handy at one end of Beale Street writing "The St. Louis Blues", moved west to the point where Elvis heard Black Blues singer Arthur Cruddop sing "That's allright Mama", then recorded it with his twist at Sun Studio and then further west to the Chisca Hotel & WHBQ studios where D. J. Dewey Phillips played that song 16 times in an hour and told the world it was hot. Singer/writer Mark Cohen felt that he was "walkin with his feet 10 feet off of Beale" and wondered "Do I really feel the way I feel?" because he sensed the flow of this historic vibe across the intersection of Highway 61 (The Blues Highway which brought B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and the others to Beale) on down toward "Ol Man River", the flowing corridor of the Delta's soul. There can be no other geographic location which can legitamately claim this birthright.

The exquisite moist Memphis style slow Hickory Smoked Barbequed Pork Shoulder pulled and placed on a bun, heaped upon nachos with cheeze, served on a salad with proper tomato based sauce + salad dressing or sauced and served by itself sits atop the list of the best, along with the "wet" Memphis ribs.

These two Memphis trademarks have been often immitated and misrepresented as springing from somewhere else, but the original's still the greatest!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Lafayette, Louisiana is known for being the Cajun city.
I don't think I have to explain that.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Houston may be known for NASA oil, but living in the city what makes it unique is that it is a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants. The effect is felt city-wide and is truly a unique dynamic.
Lots of cities are sanctuary cities for illegals. I dont know that is in any way specific to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City