Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times

Advertisements

What, in your view, is the least "urbanized" suburban area in the US-ie it doesn't feel like a city in itself, and is more purely residential and low-density?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
One place in Georgia that I've always considered tacky is in western Barrow County, near Appalachee High School. You can see a subdivision of nearly-identical McMansions from GA 316 about a mile west of GA 81, near Carl-Bethlehem Road. The subdivision was built about 10 years ago, and it sticks out like a sore thumb because there's no development anywhere near it, and many of the houses sit directly under a set of high-voltage power lines. Aside from a gas station, there were no services within five miles of this subdivision until about five years ago, when they built a Home Depot off Carl-Bethlehem Road west of GA 81, and a strip mall off Carl-Bethlehem Road east of GA 81. No development has occurred near the Home Depot since, and the strip mall today sits mostly vacant, with most of its storefronts having never been occupied. (This illustrates just how severely overbuilt commercial real estate is in the Atlanta MSA.) Bear in mind that none of these developments can be accessed directly from GA 316 because eventually they're going to upgrade it to a limited-access highway like they should have done the first time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/BarrowCountysprawl.jpg (broken link)

The yellow-outlined area on the left is the subdivision that can be seen from GA 316. The red line running through it is the path of the high-voltage power lines that hang over some of the houses. The yellow-outlined area in the middle is the Home Depot, and the yellow-outlined area on the right is the site of the new strip mall. The red 'X' to the north of GA 316 is where the nearest gas station was until three years ago, and the red 'X' to the south of GA 316 is the gas station that was built three years ago.

Carl-Bethlehem Road comes in from the top of the picture, crossing GA 316 before taking a southeasterly path. GA 81 continues north to Winder, and south to Loganville. GA 316 continues west into Gwinnett County, and east into the Athens area.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 03-26-2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
What, in your view, is the least "urbanized" suburban area in the US-ie it doesn't feel like a city in itself, and is more purely residential and low-density?

Um basically no suburbs, even new mixed use ones do not feel like the city

My answer is all suburban areas do not feel like the city

Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
All auto-era suburbs are purely residential and low-density, with the exception of some of those "new urbanist" projects.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
I'm not sure I understand the question. Suburbs aren't traditionally urban to begin with. It's like asking what kind of milk do you think has the highest alcohol content?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,563 times
By definition, suburbs aren't urban. They're SUBurban, or less than urban. I don't really understand your question. I guess all suburbs would be "less urbanized".

Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
By definition, suburbs aren't urban. They're SUBurban, or less than urban. I don't really understand your question. I guess all suburbs would be "less urbanized".
Not exactly, Yonkers is technically a suburb of NYC, but is it not urban? It's more urban than most cities in the US. Same with Upper Darby, Silver spring, Cambridge, Long Beach, and Oak park etc. All technicallly suburbs, yet more urban than at leat 90% of the country

Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I'd always heard Atlanta.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Who knows

Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Not exactly, Yonkers is technically a suburb of NYC, but is it not urban? It's more urban than most cities in the US. Same with Upper Darby, Silver spring, Cambridge, Long Beach, and Oak park etc. All technicallly suburbs, yet more urban than at leat 90% of the country
I don't know, I associate urban/suburban/rural with the type of development, not whether it's in the city limits or not. A city can be urban or suburban in nature, and so can surrounding communities that aren't within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City