Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,662 times

Advertisements

Nope not really just upset with stereotypes and that is a ***** response that i have gotten from other new yorkers

Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Nope not really just upset with stereotypes and that is a ***** response that i have gotten from other new yorkers
Which part in particular?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM

518 posts, read 448,655 times
Are you suggesting Southerners shouldn't be offended? The hypocrisy on this board is off the charts. Non-Southerners come with highly prejudiced, non-tolerant and highly uneducated offensive claims against Southerners and then have the nerve to lecture Southerners on hate and prejudice. The hypocrisy is laughable to the point of absurdity. You have uneducated comments like those of turd's recent post where he claimed Mississippi and Alabama were the bottom two states in education spending when they are #39 and #35 respectively. In fact, Alabama has finished ahead of California and Michigan recently in public education in the last two years. I'll dig up the ranking if you don't believe me because I saw it with my own two eyes. It suprised me in light of the ridiculous rhetoric we've grown accustomed to on boards like this one.

The racism angle is hilarious coming from people in areas that are lily white to the extreme. I even saw someone on here recently lamenting the lack of diversity in South Louisiana/New Orleans and not being able to wait to move to the hotbed of diversity that is Oregon. I about fell at of my chair laughing at the cluelessness of that statement.

Here are the education spending rankings btw:

Best and Worst States: Does Spending More on Education Work? State Rankings of Education Spending.

Here is the ranking showing both Alabama and Mississippi ranked ahead of Michigan

http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Report_Card_on_American_Educa tion (broken link)

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Are you suggesting Southerners shouldn't be offended? The hypocrisy on this board is off the charts. Non-Southerners come with highly prejudiced, non-tolerant and highly uneducated offensive claims against Southerners and then have the nerve to lecture Southerners on hate and prejudice. The hypocrisy is laughable to the point of absurdity. You have uneducated comments like those of turd's recent post where he claimed Mississippi and Alabama were the bottom two states in education spending when they are #39 and #35 respectively. In fact, Alabama has finished ahead of California and Michigan recently in public education in the last two years. I'll dig up the ranking if you don't believe me because I saw it with my own two eyes. It suprised me in light of the ridiculous rhetoric we've grown accustomed to on boards like this one.

The racism angle is hilarious coming from people in areas that are lily white to the extreme. I even saw someone on here recently lamenting the lack of diversity in South Louisiana/New Orleans and not being able to wait to move to the hotbed of diversity that is Oregon. I about fell at of my chair laughing at the cluelessness of that statement.

Here are the education spending rankings btw:

Best and Worst States: Does Spending More on Education Work? State Rankings of Education Spending.
yeah I got a laugh at this as well.
Especially since many of those living in my area are mixed race, and a lot of white families have black in them as well. Its so easy to claim to be racially tolerant when only a handful of a particular race live where you are. Its much different to live in an area with 30,40, even 50% black or another race. It presents challenges and requires a LOT more race tolerance than people give us credit for. I remember someone talking about the unusually high amount of trailers and mobile homes found in my area. that is because a lot of people work offshore or for weeks at a time and are not home as much, so they do not place a high value on home ownership. Living in a trailer here isnt seen as some sort of class deficiency, its seen as a realistic option for a hard working blue collar family who want to live affordably. Youll find trailers placed right into neighborhoods, next to elaborate brick homes. Youll find tiny shotgun houses right in the middle of town. ITs just how it is around here. Everybody kind of exists together, black or white, rich or poor. We all party together. Thats why I like it here.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Are you talking to me? Because if you are you obviously don't follow my posts very closely.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 AM

591 posts, read 866,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I don't use any of the above. As I have said, if your region were to fall into the ocean, America wouldn't lose a step.
The fact that the North forced the South to regain admission into the Union at the end of Reconstruction puts the lie to your statement, because if what you say were true, they wouldn't have bothered. (I take this illogic as a sign of your less-than-adquate Yankee education, or perhaps lack of brains; or maybe it's just mean-spirited prejudice.)

Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
Who cares what the north thinks, I love the South! (And I was born and raised in NYC)

Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Who cares what the north thinks, I love the South! (And I was born and raised in NYC)
The North? I thought that was just a direction and nothing more.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
These idiots are just trolls and a lot of folks are feeding into their BS, myself included. What is that saying, "don't feed the trolls..."? It is a patently ridiculous subject. They south is the south and is no more or no less racist, backward, or uneducated than those trolls that are posting their drivel here. All you have to do is look at Michigan and fall down laughing at this tripe.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
I tend to think, for northerners, southerners historically have been viewed less sophisticated as their northern brethren in the large cities. Of course that's a complete fallacy but it existed nonetheless and that perception has been passed down from generation to generation through "stories" and even through entertainment outlets that depict southerns in that type of light. On average the pace of a major southern city is about the same pace as a northern city outside of NYC and Chicago. Rural areas in both halves of the country are all about the same pace, slower, where people take time out to actually enjoy things instead of constantly being on the go.

As far as slavery, it wasn't about slavery in the south, that in all actuality wasn't even a factor as congress would have never had the votes to abolish slavery if it weren't for the Civil War. It was slavery in new territories that finally came to a head with the Kansas-Nebraska act of 1854 and pro-slavery advocates crossing the border from Missouri into Kansas casting fake votes in favor of slavery. You can find the finding on the Making of America, it was housed on the U of Michigan's Web site, not sure if it's still housed there or not, maybe a UM grad can elaborate on that. In the end, the north fired on Fort Sumpter and the Civil War started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City