Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Still I do get the sense NYC has more conservatives than people in my neck of the woods think. Staten Island has a fair amount of conservatives and it seems like Queens had some. If we mean the NYC metro I think it may have way more than people in the Plains think as parts of Long Island are pretty Right-leaning/conservative.
South Brooklyn is by far is the most Conservative area in NYC with Orthodox jews being at worst 80%, Russians at around 70%, and Italians at around 55%-60% (these numbers are approximate guess), but is drowned out in the Counties final numbers by the African American areas in central Brooklyn voting over 97% for Obama, North West Brooklyn (besides the Hasdic and Hispanic parts) are the only true liberal areas in Brooklyn.
a contiguous area only Brooklyn with over a 1,000,000 people went for McCain

Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Did you interview them on their thoughts on gay marriage?
In the Orthodox Jewish Communities remember Palidino , or did you mean the Italian Communities like Dyker Heights, or Howard Beach, or the Russian communities because those are practically the only ones (demographics) that are in dark red outside Staten Island.
Do you know anything about those Republican neighborhoods. Your right to take just Republican numbers for an area like the UES or Northern Williamsburg and draw the conclusion that they oppose gay marriage from how much they vote Republican would be ludicrous, but there's a reason why most of the Democratic elected officials in those areas in dark red voted against gay marriage.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-06-2011 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: off topic/TOS violation

Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
How are you getting the maps for the other cities? I thought I could figure out, but I couldn't.
some counties board of election through out the country have this information
for example
Downloads | Election Results | Town Clerk
but I got Texas's info from here, they don't have all the states
Daves Redistricting 2.1

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Okay but the thing is what you're showing is that parts of NYC are very conservative. I didn't know that and it's interesting to learn. However that likely shows is that NYC is more politically segregated than other places. So whereas a place like Amarillo might be 40-88% Republican/McCain everywhere NYC has large swaths that are like 99% GOP and larger swaths that are maybe equally Democratic.

I really don't see how you can say NYC as a city is among the most conservative. El Paso County, Colorado (home of Colorado Springs) voted 66% for not recognizing same-sex marriage, 64% against recognizing domestic partnerships, and 64% against legalizing marijuana. I really doubt NYC would get results like that.

CNN.com - Elections 2006
CNN.com - Elections 2006
CNN.com - Elections 2006

Knox County, Tennessee (Knoxville) voted 71% against same-sex marriage.

CNN.com - Elections 2006

Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
In the Orthodox Jewish Communities remember Palidino , or did you mean the Italian Communities like Dyker Heights, or Howard Beach, or the Russian communities because those are practically the only ones (demographics) that are in dark red outside Staten Island.
Do you know anything about those Republican neighborhoods. Your right to take just Republican numbers for an area like the UES or Northern Williamsburg and draw the conclusion that they oppose gay marriage from how much they vote Republican would be ludicrous, but there's a reason why most of the Democratic elected officials in those areas in dark red voted against gay marriage.
You chose a controversial topic in the wrong thread and you are tooting the Republican horn. You can't expect not to have opposition, but most of all you're in the wrong category for this discussion. And discussing gay marriage is very contentious. Especially discussing gay marriage being put up for a vote. That is very controversial and offensive to some and you are singling out the most conservative sectors in what is no doubt the most diverse city in the world. It's not as black and white as you see it. Democrat or Republican, gay marriage will most definitely be a non issue within a generation. What I'm doing is telling you where a topic like this is more appropriate. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-06-2011 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: off topic/TOS violation

Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Okay but the thing is what you're showing is that parts of NYC are very conservative. I didn't know that and it's interesting to learn. However that likely shows is that NYC is more politically segregated than other places. So whereas a place like Amarillo might be 40-88% Republican/McCain everywhere NYC has large swaths that are like 99% GOP and larger swaths that are maybe equally Democratic.
That's my point NYC has some of if not the most Conservative areas in the country and I'm sick of NYC being called a liberal city. If you discount the Black and Hispanic areas which are not liberal per se but Staunch Democrats, Then you have a city that with a few exceptions is the one of the most liberal and possibly the most Conservative cities in America. And the thing I'm wondering is there any city that is at all similar to it on a even minute scale.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

"All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants. "

Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
NYC is large and diverse enough to have a very large conservative presence even though the majority are Democrats. Even if conservatives only made up 1/3 of the population of NYC, that is still almost 2.6 million people, which is just about the entire city population of Chicago. One thing about NYC is no matter your political orientation, race, religion, gender, cultural background, or sexual orientation, you can find your place there.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:18 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
This thread doesn't meet this forum's criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City