Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like more overall?
Chicago 77 53.47%
Montréal 67 46.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 PM

79 posts, read 111,501 times

Advertisements

Montréal, the second largest city in Canada and the second largest French speaking city in the western world after Paris won on polls here on C-D over numerous city, including LA and SF. Chicago is the third largest city in America and well known internationally and popular city as well.

Scenery/Architecture:
Quality of life:
Safety:
Public transportation:
Shopping:
Universities:
Entertainment/Things to see and do:
Diversity:
Economy:
Culture/Food/History:

Where would you rather live?
Where would you rather visit as first timer?

Overall:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Have you ever been to Montreal as an English non-French speaking tourist? The Montreal citizenry is the most arrogant and obnoxiously discourteous and rude to those who do not speak French. For this fact alone I vote Chicago.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Have you ever been to Montreal as an English non-French speaking tourist? The Montreal citizenry is the most arrogant and obnoxiously discourteous and rude to those who do not speak French. For this fact alone I vote Chicago.
Oh how cliché. There is a table for a party of one in the dark corner over there where you may be seated. May I bring you some lemons?

Anyway, that wasn't my experience, people I encountered in Montreal were friendly to me in Montreal though I made an effort to speak some French, which to me would be common sense given where I was. I felt bi-lingual efforts went both ways and I don't speak very much French. That and well, you get what you give.

Montreal is great fun with lively nightlife, lots of festivals, amazing food, a cosmopolitan atmosphere, and beautiful architecture/neighborhoods. It's one of my most favorite cities in North America to visit. Quebec City is even better with more French influence, go figure. But I appreciate those kind of differences.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-10-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM

79 posts, read 111,501 times
Quote:
Absolutely not true. I visit Montreal twice a year and found all locals to be very friendly and amazing people. Obviously there would be some who cannot speak English, but keep in mind the city and province is officially French speaking. If you simply talk/ask few words in French, you may have encountered differently (such as saying Bonjour, Merci, tu parlez anglais, etc.)

Many people visit Montreal because of the uniqueness, culture, beauty, and the French language. Appreciate the difference and enjoy it!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,082 times
Montreal is very friendly, moreso than Chicago on average. Is this based on some French-hating cliche, or have you actually been to Montreal?

Chicago is a great city with far more amenities overall, but Montreal is a top 5 North American city for me personally. I love the unique vibe there, and the people.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Montreal is the one city in Canada I have not been that I am wanting to go to badly. I may do that soon along with Quebec City, but I think this would be hard to compare because they're two completely different types of cities (Chicago and Montreal). I don't even think many North American cities are like Montreal for that matter.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-11-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Montreal is my favorite city in North America.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
That's interesting everytime I've been there I've been treated fine, whether I'm speaking English or my high school-level of French. People seemed fairly polite whenever I've been there--very corteous for the most part. Hell, they even speak much better English there then in most of Miami(where I get a chance to practice my Spanish even more than I use French in Quebec).

Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
I live in Chicago and have visited Montreal. Here is my take.

Location: Montreal. It's in a better location for natural scenery, and has proximity to better cities in the Northeast than Chicago's Midwest location provides.

Climate: Chicago (about the only time Chicago would win this category! LOL).

Scenery/Architecture: Montreal for urban streetscapes, Chicago for skyline & marquee buildings.

Quality of life: Not sure. It's subjective depending on what one values.

Safety: Montreal

Public transportation: Montreal

Shopping: Chicago

Universities: Chicago

Entertainment/Things to see and do: Tie

Diversity: What type of diversity? Chicago has more racial diversity, but Montreal has more of an eclectic vibe to it.

Economy: Chicago

Culture/Food/History: Montreal

Where would you rather live?
Chicago, but mostly because I can't speak French and would have poor career prospects in Montreal.

Where would you rather visit as first timer?
Montreal

Overall:
Montreal. I live in Chicago and like it here, but Montreal may be my favorite North American city.

Quote:
Not my experience at all. Most people there were friendly when I visited.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Maybe you just went there assuming everyone should provide English language service to you, without the slightest attempt to respect their culture or speaking a single word in French before opening your mouth?

I am sure all this hostility toward Montreal or Paris for that matter stems from languages and the typical American assumption that everyone in the world should be ready to communicate with them in English.

Who is arrogant and obnoxiously here?

I had nothing but great time during my 5X visit in Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City