Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times

Advertisements

Let me say upfront that this thread stems from the one below. And credit to the OP.

Things associated with southern culture

Now then, to all fellow Southerners....is there anything food or drink wise associated/popular/standard in our region that you just really dont care for? Or flat out dislike?

Since I started it, I will go first...

To be honest, I am not a big fan of grits. I like 'em ok, but they are not a favorite. Also, I prefer my tea unsweetened. And Pecan pie is just too sweet and rich.

BUT...I don't want no yankees gettin' too uppity about any of that wonderful stuff. This is a family sqabble and discussion.

So go ahead y'all...anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Dut

25 posts, read 113,680 times
Well I will never EVER try chitterlings!!! I also don't like frog legs, which people eat here in Louisiana. Do not like black eyed peas either.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
I know you're being facetious, but I've seen the word "yankee" thrown around once or twice on this site.
Do people really use such terminology in any sort of seriousness in 2009?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I know you're being facetious, but I've seen the word "yankee" thrown around once or twice on this site.
No, I am really not being facitious...but jocular a bit. And I am certainly not being insulting. And hope this fun intended thread doesn't take an ugly turn because of regional mis-translation.

"Yankee" is simply part of the historical Southern vernacular. It is not intrinsically insulting. It is generally used in the same way the British and/or Australians refer those of us in the United States as "yanks".

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM

806 posts, read 2,961,188 times
Quote:
Stay out of the South, you carpetbagging Yankee.

In all seriousness, not really. Its the Northern equal to redneck, imo.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,753,564 times
Quote:
Sometimes serious, but usually just joking. I'll say "damn yankee" sometimes, but i'm usually talking to a friend who's from up north.

But back on topic. I'm not a big fan of grits either. Cornbread isn't that good either. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
No, I am really not being facitious...but jocular a bit. And I am certainly not being insulting.
Understood........... Just curious.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Well, I am not a Southerner but do like grits & black-eyed peas; also chicken-fried steak, greens, fried chicken, etc. I have had chitterlings & did not like it one bit

Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Sometimes serious, but usually just joking. I'll say "damn yankee" sometimes, but i'm usually talking to a friend who's from up north.
Exactly. Hell, I've got northern friends who might actually think I was PO'd at 'em if I DIDN'T refer to them as "damn yankees"! LOL

Quote:
But back on topic. I'm not a big fan of grits either. Cornbread isn't that good either. I don't see what the big deal is.
If it is made with sugar, I would agree. Might as well make poundcake!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Well, I am not a Southerner but do like grits & black-eyed peas; also chicken-fried steak, greens, fried chicken, etc. I have had chitterlings & did not like it one bit
LOL Happ...there is hope for you yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City