Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM

314 posts, read 422,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Many homegrown New Yorkers call about every city a boring suburb also especially LA and Chicago. Must be true than. Since you seem to be a slave to what they say.

Nobody really denied that Chicago has some advantages over New York. But it's those who support the notion that it's on the same level or that it's even close that are really just fooling with themselves. Maybe it bothers you so much because there is probably truth to it
This has been established a MILLION TIMES on here which was my initial point, and you would know this if you actually read comments and responses in their entirety instead of cherry picking to spew nonsense.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I feel like I'm arguing with people off an SNL bears skit on here sometimes that live out in Joliet or something. Frankly, it's making people from Chicago look dumb. Fortunately, in real life, I don't know anybody who would make such outrageous claims.
The legit "homers" on here certainly do make Chicago look dumb, as do the NYC cheerleaders (that aren't even from there) that represent NYC as this infallible deity that's not to be criticized or dare compared to any other city.."How dare ye!". It truly is embarrassing all across the board. Thankfully C-D is not reality and I certainly hope nobody takes it as such.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:41 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
The legit "homers" on here certainly do make Chicago look dumb, as do the NYC cheerleaders (that aren't even from there) that represent NYC as this infallible deity that's not to be criticized or dare compared to any other city.."How dare ye!". It truly is embarrassing all across the board. Thankfully C-D is not reality and I certainly hope nobody takes it as such.
Agreed. Both sides have been so bad. NYC boosters play NYC to be this Utopia and any city not like it is sub par. No Chicago is not not like NYC, but it sure is one of the best cities in this country and world class. Is it on London, NYC or Paris' level? Not at all. But neither are cities like Toronto, Buenos Aires, Melbourne, Singapore, Barcelona or Milan, but they are still amazing world class cities. Chicago is like that as well.

Then Chicago boosters can't seem to take criticism and and keep trying to play like we are at NYC's level. Chicago is not at NYC's level at all, which in my eyes for certain aspects it's a good thing. But the Chicago boosters need to chill out and discuss Chicago in a realistic manner and not act so insecure.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Agreed. Both sides have been so bad. NYC boosters play NYC to be this Utopia and any city not like it is sub par.
Has anybody ever said that New York is a perfect city? When? No, NYC is just the best US city or one of the three best world cities.

Quote:
No Chicago is not not like NYC, but it sure is one of the best cities in this country and world class. Is it on London, NYC or Paris' level? Not at all. But neither are cities like Toronto, Buenos Aires, Melbourne, Singapore, Barcelona or Milan, but they are still amazing world class cities. Chicago is like that as well.
That's not the point, the point or the topic of this thread was to find things that Chicago can offer that New York can't? What does it have to do with anything whether Chicago is or it is not a world class city now?

Quote:
Then Chicago boosters can't seem to take criticism and and keep trying to play like we are at NYC's level. Chicago is not at NYC's level at all, which in my eyes for certain aspects it's a good thing. But the Chicago boosters need to chill out and discuss Chicago in a realistic manner and not act so insecure.
This I can agree with.

Last edited by flotard; 10-13-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Really? Are we guilty of New York boosterism when we remind everybody that New York is not only three times bigger than Chicago and still growing but it also considered one of the top three world cities and a cultural giant with a tremendous influence over the rest of the world, while Chicago is far far away from any of that? Why does anybody even have to bring that up? Are you guys in Chicago forgetting that somehow?

And of course you can compare New York to Chicago to any other city but the top world city status NYC holds makes those comparison embarrassing for most other cities. New York City is better than all other American cities, this is why it si considered a top US city and one of the three top world cities. Isn't that clear by definition?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Both sides have been so bad. NYC boosters play NYC to be this Utopia and any city not like it is sub par. No Chicago is not not like NYC, but it sure is one of the best cities in this country and world class. Is it on London, NYC or Paris' level? Not at all. But neither are cities like Toronto, Buenos Aires, Melbourne, Singapore, Barcelona or Milan, but they are still amazing world class cities. Chicago is like that as well.

Agreed..

Old 10-13-2013, 07:55 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Agreed..
Of course you do cause it's the most rational post anyone has made in a while in these boards. Haha jk of course.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Really? Are we guilty of New York boosterism when we remind everybody that New York is not only three times bigger than Chicago and still growing but it also considered one of the top three world cities and a cultural giant with a tremendous influence over the rest of the world, while Chicago is far far away from any of that? Why does anybody even have to bring that up? Are you guys in Chicago forgetting that somehow?

And of course you can compare New York to Chicago to any other city but the top world city status NYC holds makes those comparison embarrassing for most other cities. New York City is better than all other American cities, this is why it si considered a top US city and one of the three top world cities. Isn't that clear by definition?
You like the rest of the NYC cheerleaders have major comprehensions problems. AGAIN this has been established a MILLION TIMES already and we GET IT, WHAT PART DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

Last edited by JMT; 10-13-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
You like the rest of the NYC cheerleaders have major comprehensions problems. AGAIN this has been established a MILLION TIMES already and we GET IT, WHAT PART DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?
Let me try again, stating that New York is a top US and one of the top three world cities does not make anybody a NYC cheerleader.
Stating facts is neither cheerleading nor boosterism. Do you get it?

Last edited by JMT; 10-13-2013 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
okay, back to topic... I think one of the biggest pluses of Chicago is how the lakefront is developed in Chicago instead of NYC's more industrial waterfronts. NYC is doing some good things on the lake though but I doubt you'll ever have beaches lining Manhattan. While the beaches aren't what I was used to in Florida or California, nor are they what I'd consider nicer than what you could drive to from NYC, it is still cool to go out there and creates a different vibe.

Also, if you want some more space and say, more of a townhouse/house type area close in to a DT, Chicago has this where NYC really doesn't. I personally don't really like the style and prefer the Chicago more urbanized lakefront area where density is 25-30k+, but I know many people who like that aspect of Chicago. I prefer industrial loft living or high rises. Printers Row and areas in West Loop/Greek town have the best lofts in the city, and could be converted to a lot more.

Last edited by grapico; 10-13-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City