Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times

Advertisements

Nobody I know considers the two cities "distant sisters".

Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
He is asking for similarities between the two now what some of the most stuck up people this side of the moon thinks

That's a big so what right there.

Houston has about 10 of these clusters too. Uptown and The Med center are Huge. The Med Center has about (if not more) office space than most cities, so your silly little uppity comments about them being small is not reality.

Both Houston and LA are near beaches, enough of the snidery. yes I made up my own word. I have to with all the stink being produced in that post

you really need to take off those blinders and remove LA from that pedestal. You claim that LA was a port of entry in the early 20th century and then immediately assume that Houston was not. The Houston area was a port of entry before either Houston or LA existed. It was used by the French, Spanish and then the American settlers. Galveston island was Texas's own Ellis Island (foreigners were processed their and the sick were also quarantined there).

how I remember it is that Houston is above LA in racial diversity and right below it in ethnic diversity. But how you tell it would seem like LA is ranked 1st and Houston is ranked 50th. sorry dude, you are selling crap.

Houston is about 35% latin, 30% white, 25% Black and 10% asian. FYI Persians is a synonym for Iranian not middle eastern, so I dunno what you are talking about Jewish/ muslim etc. Anyway, we do have a lot of Iranians here. Lots of middle easterners period.

Last I read Houston and Chicago were battling for the number one manufacturing spot, so i dunno how LA can be number 2, but yet again in your blindness to put LA on a pedestal you are praising LA without realizing that Houston is right there with it (or above it) in the same darn category.

Gateway to Global Markets | Houston International Business

Manufacturing

World's twelve best cities for manufacturing

Chemical manufacturing:

Electronics manufacturing:

software manufacturing
L.A. County keeps rank as top U.S. manufacturing employer - latimes.com

LA as of March was actually ahead of Chicago in manufacturing.

BTW, the link you posted was the 12 BEST manufacturing centers, not the largest. LA might not be THE BEST, but it is the largest.
--------------------------------

http://genealogy.about.com/od/galveston/Galveston_TX_USA.htm

Galveston processed approx. 133,000 immigrants. A good bit of history, I must admit, and quite different than the experience of those who came thru Ellis Island, Angel Island and later to LA.

-----------------------------------
I assure you I know what a Persian is. You are so typical of a ignorant middle aged white bread, bologna, and mayonaisse Southerner.

Persian and Iranian are not interchangeable. Persians are an ethnic group of Iran, but not the only ethnic group. There are also significant Turkish (ethnicity and nationality), Armenian (ethnicity and nationality), Arab, and Jewish populations from Iran.

Yet, the Persian community also further stratifies themselves into 2 major groupings in LA/NYC where the populations are the largest, particularly here in LA. The largest groupings are: Persian Jews, Persian Muslims.

The Persian Jews use that term to signify that they are in fact ethnically and religiously Jewish, but come originally from Iran. Whereas for Persian Muslims, they use the term to signify that they are in fact ethnically Persian (versus Armenian or Arab), but adhere to the Muslim faith.

Keep thinking you know everything.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM

As for the beaches, to each is own. Galveston, Surfside (near Lake Jackson) and South Padre attract a far different crowd than Malibu, Newport Beach and Santa Monica on the one hand, and Venice Beach on the other. I'll stick with the latter.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
Houston has a better housing stock and is very diverse also based on this I would considered them sisters and the two powerhouses of the southwest and west coast

Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
L.A. County keeps rank as top U.S. manufacturing employer - latimes.com

LA as of March was actually ahead of Chicago in manufacturing.

BTW, the link you posted was the 12 BEST manufacturing centers, not the largest. LA might not be THE BEST, but it is the largest.
--------------------------------
being top manufacturing county does not mean top manufacturing region.

LA county is the largest darn county in the US with twice the population of the second largest county, but again we are talking of general regions and not counties. Comparing LA county to Cook county is NOT comparing manufacturing LA to Chicago.

Furthermore, the number of people employed in the field does not have an effect on output. Having more workers does not mean its the largest manufacturing region. In terms of output, the Midwest, SE Texas and the NE are all ahead of LA. In terms of jobs, LA county with more people than the state of Georgia may have more workers, I dunno.

YOU need to step back from thinking that you know everything.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
being top manufacturing county does not mean top manufacturing region.

LA county is the largest darn county in the US with twice the population of the second largest county, but again we are talking of general regions and not counties. Comparing LA county to Cook county is NOT comparing manufacturing LA to Chicago.

Furthermore, the number of people employed in the field does not have an effect on output. Having more workers does not mean its the largest manufacturing region. In terms of output, the Midwest, SE Texas and the NE are all ahead of LA. In terms of jobs, LA county with more people than the state of Georgia may have more workers, I dunno.

YOU need to step back from thinking that you know everything.
Where are you stats that show the Midwest, SE Texas, and NE are all ahead of LA? Are you talking about the city of LA, LA County, or Socal?

Now you are comparing entire regions to LA.

What constitutes SE Texas? Pretty soon you are going to claim Corpus Christi as part of Houston just to prove the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Ang...fornia#Economy

According to that, LA-Long Beach-Riverside (CSA) has economic output of $831 billion. Let me anticipate your argument. You're going to say that SE Texas (i.e. Houston and surroundings) are a lot smaller. That's exactly the point of this thread. They aren't similar.

Just like the demographics of LA and Houston are vastly different other than the white population being about equal. Yet as I explained, they aren't so similar because the "white" population of LA is far different than the "white" population of Houston.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Where are you stats that show the Midwest, SE Texas, and NE are all ahead of LA? Are you talking about the city of LA, LA County, or Socal?

Now you are comparing entire regions to LA.

What constitutes SE Texas? Pretty soon you are going to claim Corpus Christi as part of Houston just to prove the point.

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to that, LA-Long Beach-Riverside (CSA) has economic output of $831 billion. Let me anticipate your argument. You're going to say that SE Texas (i.e. Houston and surroundings) are a lot smaller. That's exactly the point of this thread. They aren't similar.

Just like the demographics of LA and Houston are vastly different other than the white population being about equal. Yet as I explained, they aren't so similar because the "white" population of LA is far different than the "white" population of Houston.
all I am saying is that your attitude was stuck up. You are claiming things for LA and acting like they don't exist for Houston.
Manufacturing was just one example. You listed that LA was number two for manufacturing and then left Houston out of the picture not mentioning that it occupies one of the top 3 spots, but then again your argument that they are soooo different would not make sense because they would both be among the top for that sector.

In your haste to list the achievements of LA you failed to recognize that Houston was strong in these areas too

Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM

491 posts, read 886,175 times
Quote:
But because I can't help myself:

My guess is 90% of LA does not consider Houston a sister city of LA in the sense of the term you are using.
Probably an even larger percentage of Houstonians feel exactly the same way. This is C-D, not the real world. This is fantasyland.

Quote:
The downtowns are similar in the respect they are both downtowns with a lot of tall buildings, wide and busy streets, and are the centers of each city's respective financial institutions. Downtown LA has become a live,work,play community with the population of over 60 bars, hundreds of restaurants, LA Live, and various other venues.
Aside from "LA Live", you just pretty much described Houston downtown 2011 to a tee. I'd say that both city's downtowns mimic eachother pretty well.

Quote:
I know Houston has the Galleria complex, but that reminds me more of Woodland Hills (Woodland Hills would be the smallest "downtown area").
Uh, no. You're comparing this:

To this???:

Quote:
As to the beaches, Houston is close by Galveston. But I wouldn't put Galveston in the same categories as Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, or Newport Beach/Huntington Beach.
You are 100% right on the money there.

Quote:
Both LA and Houston do have a large amount of foreigners, the majority being Hispanic. The difference is that LA has always been a port of entry for immigrants, whereas Houston has not. Even in the early 20th century, LA was a port of entry. Many Jewish and Irish immigrants went to LA, followed by Japanese, Korean, and later Chinese, Vietnamese, and Persian. LA has a far higher foreign born population.
Wrong. Houston, though perhaps it hasn't experienced the same volume of immigrants in the early 20th century that L.A. has, has been a port of entry for immigrants ever since the 1900 hurricane destroyed most of Galveston, which up to that point was the 2nd largest port of entry for immigrants on the entire Gulf coast. From 1900 forward, Houston saw many Irish, German, Greek, Chinese, and Eastern European immigrants call it home. After WW2, those numbers boosted significantly, and the range of nationalities expanded as well. Maybe L.A. saw more immigrants pre-WW2, but you're just ruling Houston out completely for that era, and it's not accurate at all.

Quote:
LA also has a far larger ethnic population (the city and nearby suburbs like Weho, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica). You really don't find too many traditionally white Christians in LA. Over 50% of the population is Hispanic, 10% Asian, and 10% Black. Of the 30% that are white, a significant portion are Jewish or Persian (generally either Jewish or Muslim). Houston does not have that kind of diversity.
You're stereotyping. Yes, Houston's affluent outer suburbs are home to a primarily Protestant white population. So are L.A.'s far-South Orange County suburbs and far-NW Ventura county suburbs, as well as pockets of the San Fernando Valley and Inland Empire. The L.A. you're describing is the city proper, not the 'burbs. Houston's inner-city is similarly diverse.

Quote:
The industries are much different also. LA is still the 2nd largest manufacturing region in the country. Obviously there is Hollywood and the related service industries. A major portion of LA's workforce is union. Houston is more energy and health care based and more corporate focused. They attract different skill sets.
You're right about that, but the majority of employees in the energy industry are blue collar workers in the manufacturing end of things. Somebody has to work in all those refineries. Different industries for sure, but manufacturing is manufacturing.

In conclusion... yes, the 2 cities share little in common other than traffic, smog, gangs, and sprawl. I would hardly call them "sister" cities. L.A. does not have a "sister" in TX. Houston and Dallas are distant cousins maybe, but not sisters. However, you really should watch your stereotyping and research a little deeper before making these kind of generalizations.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 07-13-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:45 PM

I don't consider San Bernardino/Riverside Counties or South OC really part of LA.

North OC is heavily Hispanic and Asian, with some remaining traditional white groups. That I'll give you.

The SFV (where I live) has very very few traditional whites left. The "white" areas of Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, and Chatsworth are heavily Jewish, Persian Jewish, or Persian Muslim.

Glendale and Burbank are heavily Armenian and Persian Muslim.

I don't know much about the white population of the far East LA suburbs (el Monte, Pomona area, etc), but I do know those areas are predominantly Hispanic.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Do people consider Los Angeles and Houston distant sister's?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City