Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Everyone has their own take, but I would believe this viewpoint would be in the minority. Most Americans would probably give the nod to California or The Northeast.

I can't think of any southern city with a Michelin Guide. Also, I can't think of any city in the south considered to have world a world class dining scene. New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco have world class dining.

Every city, state and region of this country has their own traditions and history.

I do not find those three cities to be beautiful and should be passed on by visitors. Actually, those are three of the last cities in the south I would promote for beauty. The most beautiful city in the south is Miami.

Really? I was always under the impression Boston and Philadelphia were the most patriotic considering their history.

The north and west coast have their own leaders too.

Music? Chicago invented techno and NYC invented hip hop.

Yes, I like sports.

The first college football game played was Rutgers vs Princeton back in 1869. Both of these colleges are located in the amazing state of NJ, not the south.

The south invented golf? The last time I checked it was invented in Scotland during the 15th Century.

Nascar? Well, the south did invent this back in Tennessee. However, this is not an achievement I would brag about.

I could be wrong, but I'm confident the only two cities in south making the top 10 for vacationers were Orlando and Miami.

I doubt people in Europe are dreaming of living in the south outside of Miami.
great post, newsboy is too busy eating loads of biscuits all day to fact check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
John! Just what is it with Atlanta that brings this side of people out...its always your city
Guess again. Try Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, L.A., etc. There is also a certain subset of malcontents here that feel the need time after time to put these cities "in their place." Atlanta may be the most hated here by a certain um, group - but it is certainly not alone.

I would like to know what it is about Atlanta that bring this side of YOU out - we can always count on you to be drawn into any Atlanta thread, especially the negative leaning ones. Why is that?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM

23 posts, read 45,627 times
Having miami is what makes this country unique!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Sheesh, yeah. I went through the length of Nebraska on a Greyhound bus one time. I thought it would never end, mile after mile of empty, ugly nothiness for at least a full day, including other plains states.
You might try getting off the interstate sometime. It's a completely different view. There's a reason the interstate was put where it is.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
You're not going to put me on a leash if I wander away from the interstate, are you dogwalker?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
If you get off the interstate Nebraska is beautiful. Do a google image search for Nebraska sandhills, you will see what I mean.
I was joking about wanting to drop Nebraska, but I did the image search and ..... I guess you have to be a flatland lover to find it beautiful. I have mountains in my blood, my ancestors all came from Switzerland going back for centuries. I feel a bit nervous being on an endless plain.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
You're not going to put me on a leash if I wander away from the interstate, are you dogwalker?
No, but I might use a shock collar.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So you think that white people are dull? It's comments such as yours that are often given a pass, when they are nothing but bigotry.

Huh? That's not what the word whitebread means at all. Whitebread refers to cookie-cutter suburban culture... while suburban dwellers are typically white, it doesn't exclusively refer to white people.

This definition sums it up perfectly:

"Whitebread: Belonging to the class of bland, clean-cut, middle-of-the-road suburbanite breeders. The Cleavers from the old TV show "Leave It To Beaver" are a familiar archetype of whitebread culture. Compare to yuppie.

The term implies profound cultural naïvete, blind consumerism, and an unquestioning "follower" mindset. Common trappings of the whitebread lifestyle include golf, Kenny G and Enya CDs, SUVs, an irrational fixation on lawn care, Golden Retrievers, nominally Christian religious beliefs, Old Navy clothing, moderate to conservative political views, bad Chardonnay, equally bad espresso, cookie-cutter houses, Bath & Body Works hygiene products, and very white-collar employment.

Though whitebread individuals are usually white, the term is not necessarily racial in meaning - the implication lies more with the blandness, predictability, and banality of plain white bread. Accordingly, "wonderbread" is often used as a synonym."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=whitebread

For once urbandictionary gets it right... lol

Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Enya and golden retrievers are bad things?

Have you ever sniffed the butt of a golden retriever in heat? Sweeeeeeet.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Enya and golden retrievers are bad things?

Have you ever sniffed the butt of a golden retriever in heat? Sweeeeeeet.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City