Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one?
california 9 45.00%
new york/new jersey/pennsylvania 11 55.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
lol @ west coast. call me when u guys have a real city.
Call me lol

Old 07-23-2011, 04:15 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times
Quote:
lol @ west coast. call me when u guys have a real city.
I really don't understand you. What's the point of all this?
Your constant antics and california bashing is tired out and old. I simply don't give a rats a** what you think about California.

New York is the greatest city on the planet! omg!
Well then go find a hobby and find something to do in that great city of yours. It's a BIG city, there has to be something interesting to do! Instead, you spend all this time constantly spewing hate for a place and stir up unnecessary drama that's not even relevant to you. You Love New York so much? That's awesome, why don't you go out and just enjoy it. No reason to keep comparing and bashing, it's pointless.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
This is kind of interesting though. Do you think NY/NJ/PA HYPOTHETICALLY would be better off under one united government the same way that LA and SF fall in the same state? Would it be a benefit to the economy? I'm always amazed by how hard these three states work to emphasize their differences rather than working together.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
This is kind of interesting though. Do you think NY/NJ/PA HYPOTHETICALLY would be better off under one united government the same way that LA and SF fall in the same state? Would it be a benefit to the economy? I'm always amazed by how hard these three states work to emphasize their differences rather than working together.
Well, historically speaking, California institutions were set up in such a way that it didn't really expect that there would be a 2nd, even larger metropolis that would spring up in the state aside from San Francisco. Keep in mind, the current state constitution was ratified back in 1878. Back then, for all intents and purposes, California WAS San Francisco when the state government first came into fruition and the borders of California were drawn. Los Angeles only had 10,000 people back when, while San Francisco had over 225,000 people. Nowadays, its the reverse situation (although, to a MUCH less of a degree. LA doesn't dominate CA to the same extent SF did back then)

NJ/NY/PA are MUCH older entities that people heavily identify with and have their own different set political, social, and economic structures that date back a while now.

Would NY/NJ/PA benefit from a merger? Are taxpayers really willing in those states to foot the bill of such a merger? (if I had to guess, probably not) Sure, it would mean two less state governments, but then it would mean a total revamping of the taxation system, social services system, infrastructure system, and a host of all these real world things that we choose not to think about on CD because it's simply too real. In the real world, its always MUCH easier to break apart places than it is to bring them together. Local politicians are ALWAYS scared to lose power.

For better and for worse, the federal system is what it is. I appreciate the fact that the United States has it, instead of being some sort of centralized entity ran simply from Washington DC. It means that each of the 50 states can make creative solutions for local problems.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,181 times
shouldn't it be NY/NJ/CT? what would Pennsylvania bring to the table besides dragging down per capita stats of the tri-state. Philly is a poor run down hellhole.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
population
weather
diversity
cities
countryside
economy
sports
things to do
???????

which one do you guys pick.

for all of the above, i choose ny/nj/pa. in real life, these 3 states are more connected than la and sf, and include two of the nation's most powerful cities, nyc and phily.

they are around the same population, despite ny/nj/pa being much smaller in size than ca in total.

sports: yeah, no contest here.
population - california
weather - california
diversity - california
cities - california
countryside - california
economy - ny/nj/pa
sports - ny/nj/pa
things to do - california

If it was NYC vs SF or NYC vs LA...than I'd prefer NYC as a whole.

But the State of California itself is a pretty amazing one taken in it's entirity, and would surpass NJ/PA/NY all put into one.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
population - california
weather - california
diversity - california
cities - california
countryside - california
economy - ny/nj/pa
sports - ny/nj/pa
things to do - california

If it was NYC vs SF or NYC vs LA...than I'd prefer NYC as a whole.

But the State of California itself is a pretty amazing one taken in it's entirity, and would surpass NJ/PA/NY all put into one.

exactly!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 PM

california.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM

159 posts, read 317,001 times
I've always been a die-hard east coast fan, for a variety of reasons, I prefer the cities, the history, the culture - however, the west coast has grown increasingly appealing to me.
I'm pursuing a career in lighting design for live entertainment, and having so many world class theatre and music/concert venues or scenes in general that is so accessible is a huge huge asset to me, so the Bos-Wash corridor is ideal due to the number of opportunities available. Also, you can't beat New England in the Fall. I really do think I'd miss the seasons and the history.

The west coast really is breathtaking though.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
California. Even though I grew up in NJ and NYC is still my favorite city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City