Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
New York 4 12.12%
Los Angeles 5 15.15%
Chicago 1 3.03%
Houston 6 18.18%
Philadelphia 3 9.09%
Atlanta 7 21.21%
Dallas 0 0%
Miami 5 15.15%
San Francisco 2 6.06%
Boston 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Which of the major cities gets the most hate by CD members?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
It ebbs and flows according to how many trolls are active, and how many boosters are active at any given time.

The trolls come in and dump all over cities for whatever reason, and often succeed in whipping up any latent ill sentiments about a city. The boosters either start a problem by making sometimes-accurate, sometimes-wild claims about their city, often coming into threads that have nothing to do with them, which generally encourages others to put those very cities down (a good recent example would be Philly boosters who come into random threads to remind everyone that they have ____ too!)... or, they add to a problem by making said claims in defense of their city.

Candidates, at some point or another recently, based on both above behaviours: Philly, Atlanta, San Francisco, Houston.

This said... I'd have to say that all things considered, it's probably Detroit. Detroit gets barely any love from anyone, ever.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Detroit, Baltimore, phoenix, LA, Orlando. Also, any city that isn't old, cold, and crowded.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 AM

650 posts, read 1,629,150 times
Miami, followed closely by Miami. After that, Miami.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
There are two cities that stand out to me as being hated and bashed constantly.

1. Philadelphia - People say the history is boring, they don't enjoy urbanity, and say the city is nothing b/c it's overshadowed by NY.

2. NY - Every city wants to be #1, jealousy.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 AM

102 posts, read 189,433 times
L.A. is hated on a ****uhno? for being a big suburb blah blah. I see it mostly by New Yawkas, Chicagoans, SanFranciscans, cities with vibrant downtowns. But really now, who wants or needs to walk around downtown L.A. when the weather is damn near perfect year round? L.A. is alot about beach culture, Hollywood, clubbing, upscale drug culture, etc. People in the arguably more gray and vanilla midwest are probably just jealous of those who can make it work in California. Don't lie....I lived in Chicago and most people there DESPISE the long winter and lake effect snow. And if Californians want real snow, its never too far away! Detroit is also kicked repeatedly on CD when its down. That's exactly why i hated living in Chicago. The entire underlying sentiment for that city is "at least we ain't Detroit"....but in all seriousness Chicago is half encircled by giant swaths of blight and ghetto. The city is strongly divided and polarized between haves and have nots, much of it due to local politics. The overall goal seems to have been a sort of bizarro, satanic version of new york..but all they really accomplish is drawing alot of median minded midwesterners from surrounding states and immigrants who could never hack it elsewhere. And they still dont hack it in CHI for very long because small business there is a pipe dream for most.So...the state goes broke. The city as well. and in that unrealistic quest to be top dog, they actually shoot themselves in the foot and create a breeding ground for a horrible quality of life away from their downtown. How is this on topic? Well Chicago is definately hated as well

Last edited by dosequis man; 09-15-2011 at 06:23 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
I'd say Miami and Chicago. Both are disliked for weather. Chicago's too cold and Miami's too hot. And some people hate how rude the people are in Miami.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
As far as the cycle of troll influx... I think its Chicago Hating Troll season in September

Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
There are two cities that stand out to me as being hated and bashed constantly.

1. Philadelphia - People say the history is boring, they don't enjoy urbanity, and say the city is nothing b/c it's overshadowed by NY.

2. NY - Every city wants to be #1, jealousy.
I think it says "on city-data", not general life. Both those cities are mixed (Philadelphia) or intensely popular (NYC) on City-Data.

Although even in the general US population I think Detroit might have a worse image with people than NYC or Philadelphia. Granted NYC did come out "number 1" on a Harris Poll for "least favorite city" but it also came out number 1 for "most favorite." Detroit came out 2nd in "least favorite" but didn't make "most favorite." In the Pew Research Survey Detroit also did bad. Cleveland also looks to have done fairly bad in both.

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > New York City, San Diego and Las Vegas Top List of Cities People Would Like to Live In or Near
For Nearly Half of America, Grass Is Greener Somewhere Else - Pew Research Center

So NYC is more "the most polarizing city", although I think San Francisco is also fairly polarizing and maybe Los Angeles too.

Anyway Miami is maybe the one city that seems to be relatively unpopular with people in general, going by some polls I looked at, and unpopular with CD. Specific to CD I would guess generally that the biggest cities of Florida are the most disliked, that's including those that the general non-CD populace like okay. Orlando I think comes out relatively popular with people in general, but is highly unpopular with CD.

I'm not sure what city both Americans and CDers like, but I'm thinking San Diego, California is a contender. I don't hear too much complaint about it from CDers and Americans seem positive on it.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-15-2011 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
The poll shows that no one city gets more hate then another except Detroit suffers the ultimate insult, it isn't even included in the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City