Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM

102 posts, read 189,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Honestly I would have to go with Portland Oregon.

Hear me out first. I love Portland, it is truly one of my favorite cities in the US. I love it mainly for its unigue character and natural setting. However, I have three friends (well two now) that live their, and the homeless rate in the city is at and has been at rediculous proportions. Lots of lazy people from what I hear. The job market is not that good. And too many people getting free services which help to create a lazy environment. Plus, drugs are pretty rampant throughout the youth culture.

People do seem to praise Portland Oregon alot on here (myself included). Because I think despite what isn't known (high unemployment, beggers, etc,) basically all of what I have already mentioned. It's natural beauty and city layout stands out and trumps their social issues..
Thank you for taking the time to answer my post honestly. I see Portland as ranked middle of the pack on most things. But very true...ranked highly on city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
In this case he did it to bash Chicago probably because alot of them bash Detroit like their so different and so much better, it was very un called for, but realistically Chicago really is a bigger and expensive version of Detroit. (Not in a bad way though since there are alot of cities who wish they had some of the stuff that Chicago and Detroit do). It revitalized it's downtown and some neighborhoods like the D is doing now, Going threw similar problems, similar old style architecture, and when it comes to blacks and Mexicans, only thing different is the accent, they took our ghetto techno and made it house music (juke music now), they took the Jit and made fookworking, and they both hip roll with almost the same style (some even wear Cartier frames and Snapbacks now). As far as Mexicans go, well, both the gangs and neighborhoods are the same in both cities. People who actually spent time in Detroit know this for a fact.
Not to change the subject but you do realize that everything you just said was completely false. Techno came from house music (created around the early 80's while tech was like mid-late 80's) ghetto techno came from ghetto house. Footworkin and jit are two totaly different thing that just happen to look similar

just sayin

mas23

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
dosequis, the problems you have with Chicago are not Chicago, that is ALL of your top 10 or so major cities. Every single one of them really. You think Chicago has big ghetto areas...uhh have you been to New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, LA, Oakland, Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans, DC, Detroit, Flint, Cleveland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Miami, etc? All these cities have major ghetto problems, many MUCH more severe than Chicago. Chicago as a metro probably has the 2nd largest amount of livable "City" areas right behind well, New York... so your arguments are pretty weak. You are going to have those issues no matter WHERE you go, so the grass isn't greener on the other side if areas like that upset you. That is a problem with inner city urban America, Chicago has those issues, but guess what, so does every other major city.
It's no use trying to talk to this guy he's probably made a couple dozen accounts by now. It's guys like that who need professional help to deal with their issues or whatever "beef" they have with a city.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Not to change the subject but you do realize that everything you just said was completely false. Techno came from house music (created around the early 80's while tech was like mid-late 80's) ghetto techno came from ghetto house. Footworkin and jit are two totaly different thing that just happen to look similar

just sayin

mas23
techno didn't come from house.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM

102 posts, read 189,497 times
^^^and Iiiiii need help?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
techno didn't come from house.
It's pretty obvious Techno came from House. Techno basically encompasses the same instruments used in House music with a few additions.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It's pretty obvious Techno came from House. Techno basically encompasses the same instruments used in House music with a few additions.
um no its not. House did come before techno and techno was influenced by house and MANY other genres but it did NOT derive from house. If techno came from house than footworking came from Jit

Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Not that I know sh*t about House vs. Techno, but here's what good ol' wikipedia states:

Quote:
Techno (/ˈtɛkn/ tek-noh or /ˈtɛxn/ tekh-noh) is a form of electronic dance music (EDM)[1] that emerged in Detroit, Michigan in the United States during the mid to late 1980s. The first recorded use of the word techno, in reference to a genre of music, was in 1988.[2][3] Many styles of techno now exist, but Detroit techno is seen as the foundation upon which a number of subgenres have been built.[4]

The initial take on techno arose from the melding of popular electronic music by artists such as Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder and Yellow Magic Orchestra with African American music including funk, electro, Chicago house and electric jazz.[5]

Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not that I know sh*t about House vs. Techno, but here's what good ol' wikipedia states:
and once again Techno did not come from house. Or am I the only one who sees jazz, funk etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
i wonder why threads that sole porpose is pointing out flaws in cities always turn out badly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City