Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Aquariums
National Aquarium: Baltimore, Maryland 14 21.21%
Aquarium of the Pacific: Long Beach, California 2 3.03%
Shedd Aquarium: Chicago, Illinois 9 13.64%
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Monterey, California 9 13.64%
Florida Aquarium: Tampa, Florida 1 1.52%
Tennessee Aquarium: Chattanooga, Tennessee 4 6.06%
Georgia Aquarium: Atlanta, Georgia 26 39.39%
Oregon Coast Aquarium: Newport, Oregon 0 0%
New England Aquarium: Boston, Massachusetts 1 1.52%
Audubon Aquarium of the Americas: New Orleans, Louisiana 1 1.52%
North Carolina Aquarium: Fort Fisher, North Carolina 0 0%
New York Aquarium: Brooklyn, New York 2 3.03%
Texas State Aquarium: Corpus Christi, Texas 3 4.55%
Downtown Aquarium: Denver, Colorado 4 6.06%
Other 7 10.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite Aquarium in America and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,070 times
probably denver or atlanta, but i havent been to very many.

i grew up going to the boston aqaurium and while i like it alot, its not as interesting as either of the others. what ive noticed is that a lot of the best aquariums in the country are located in the mainland far from the coast. Denver is no where near the ocean and has a very nice aquarium. Atlanta is inland quite a bit too and has a great aquarium. i think this is because the people who live in those cities dont get much exposure to the sea and so the city puts more money into them so the people will have more exposure to sea life. Many more people go to the beach on cape cod from boston than in denver. So denver gets the benefit of having a nice aquarium because more of them wont experience the ocean. I was just thinking bout this the other day so its all coming out now, but thats my theory why cities mainland have better aquariums.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
^I agree about Atlanta and Boston. I'd say that National Aquarium in Baltimore (not the outpost in DC), or the Aquarium of the Bay in Monterey, CA (and not the outpost at Pier 39 in SF) are my favorites in addition to the Georgia Aquarium. Those three (Monterey, Atlanta, and Baltimore) are my favorites by far.

I'd give an honorable mention to Shedd in Chicago which is Very nice (also better than Boston's) too, but not on the same level as those others in my opinion.

For small aquariums, Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT. is great too.

Boston goes down as one of the more overrated ones in my opinion. The location is top-notch (though it's tough to beat Monterey), but it feels dated and is in need of an expansion.

Last edited by lrfox; 09-30-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,278 times
Atlanta and Chattanooga are my favorites.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
I think I remember that when I was reading about the Atlanta Aquarium that it was set out to be the best in the country when the built it a few years ago. They wanted it to compete on an international level. I've been twice and both times it was ridiculously packed. Very well done building. Denver's aquarium is really nice as well which is good, because there isn't any kind of sea water even remotely close to that area of the country.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Atlanta didn't at all impress me.

I dig the National Aquarium and Monterey Bay.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,588 times
Interesting theory about many of the best aquariums being far inland b/c sea life is more exotic to those people since they don't have easy access to the ocean.

For me, Atlanta and Baltimore are neck and neck. I think I might give an edge to the Georgia Aquarium, but I have been there more recently and maybe Baltimore has gotten even better since last time I was there. Both of them are fantastic.

Audubon Aquarium in New Orleans is very nice also, but not on the same level as Baltimore or Atlanta.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,117 times
I voted Atlanta, but... favorite is Monterrey. I don't really care about aquariums to be honest. The only reason I ever went is because I got dragged to go to them. I'd rather go scuba diving or on a boat than a museum of fish. I'm not big on zoo's, circuses or other forms of animal captivity either. It's much more impressive to see them in the wild (such as whale watching or an alligator coming up to your boat or scuba diving by a coral reef)

Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
I've been to the Georgia, Audubon, Shedd, and South Carolina aquariums (SC's is in Charleston). I've most recently been to the Georgia Aquarium and it's been several years for the others. I remember liking Shedd. The Georgia Aquarium is huge with lots of exhibits, but didn't seem as aesthetically pleasing as I expected on the inside. I need to make another visit in the near future.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
not miami, thats for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City