Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

If you could clear the roads of any U.S. metro area for 12 hours, and have free, unimpeded, uninterrupted access to any route, which city would you choose (and which specific route)? And if you could design the "ultimate racetrack" in any Metro area, what would the route be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I695 in Baltimore. Good mixture if curves and straight aways. I wish I had a Bugatti to do it in.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Its already been done...at the Texaco Grand Prix in Downtown Houston 3 straight years in a row (1998-2001).

Grand Prix of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as these other cities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_circuit

Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its already been done...at the Texaco Grand Prix in Downtown Houston 3 straight years in a row (1998-2001).

Grand Prix of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as these other cities: Street circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not that familiar with Houston, but it seems like there would be much better places to race. I'm thinking some town that contains a stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway. Something like that.

My ideal circuit would be in the DC region and start on I-270. The race would go from 270, to the Capital Beltway, and then to the Cabin John Parkway. From the Parkway, the race would go to the Clara Barton Parkway all the way down to Reservoir Road. Then Reservoir to M Street in Georgetown right before picking up the Rock Creek Parkway off of Water St. The Rock Creek Parkway passes by all of the monuments and empties out on to Independence Ave. From there, it's a straight shot to the finish line at the Capitol.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not that familiar with Houston, but it seems like there would be much better places to race. I'm thinking some town that contains a stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway. Something like that.

My ideal circuit would be in the DC region and start on I-270. The race would go from 270, to the Capital Beltway, and then to the Cabin John Parkway. From the Parkway, the race would go to the Clara Barton Parkway all the way down to Reservoir Road. Then Reservoir to M Street in Georgetown right before picking up the Rock Creek Parkway off of Water St. The Rock Creek Parkway passes by all of the monuments and empties out on to Independence Ave. From there, it's a straight shot to the finish line at the Capitol.
How are the streets on that course? I didn't use the city because those potholes will kill the fun.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
The top side of the beltway (west of Silver Spring) in DC is a raceway every day. Love the curves when traffic is flowing well.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you ever driven on or seen Houston's freeway layout?

Its, in one word, GIGANTIC. From the inner loop to the outer loop to the outter outter loop to the many arteries running through them.

Houston undeniably has some of the widest freeways in the World. At over 22 lanes wide, the recently completed Katy Freeway is the widest freeway in the US for a sustained distance. Its a monstrosity of concrete spanning over 500 feet wide & at least 10 miles long if I had to make a guess.

The cityscape along those freeways consists of 300-1,000+ ft. skyscrapers towering above your head & off in the distance.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you ever driven on or seen Houston's freeway layout?

Its, in one word, GIGANTIC. From the inner loop to the outer loop to the outter outter loop to the many arteries running through them.

Houston undeniably has some of the widest freeways in the World. At over 22 lanes wide, the recently completed Katy Freeway is the widest freeway in the US for a sustained distance. Its a monstrosity of concrete spanning over 500 feet wide & at least 10 miles long if I had to make a guess.

The cityscape along those freeways consists of 300-1,000+ ft. skyscrapers towering above your head & off in the distance.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy large open roads like the 75/85 Connector in Atlanta. But I also enjoy tight, windy roads like the Rock Creek Parkway in DC and Lincoln Drive in Philly. I haven't driven that much of the PCH, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun to race on, not to mention the ideal scenery along the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How are the streets on that course? I didn't use the city because those potholes will kill the fun.
They're great. The Cabin John Parkway pretty much runs parallel to the GW Parkway. I think it's a better drive though because there are a few more twists and surprises than there are on the GW. It could be argued, however, that the GW is the more scenic of the two routes with the 1,000 foot overlooks above the Potomac.

It doesn't get too much better than the Rock Creek Parkway. They'll be done repaving that road pretty soon and I intend to leave my tracks all over it.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Miami Grand Prix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City