Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 PM

42 posts, read 129,405 times

Advertisements

We're planning to go on a week-long ski trip next December -- the folks are planning on renting a house for the week (on their tab!), and we've been told to start looking for a place by this summer.

We just don't know where to go; I said I'd do some research. You guys are my research!

1) We want some place with decent trails for adequate but not advanced skiers. If the only options are double black diamond trails, we're in trouble.

2) We'd like there to be amenities nearby (like a grocery store, convenient store, and few restaurants).

3) We'd like to avoid massive crowds (we figure this probably rules out Aspen, but having been, we're not sure). On the other hand, we also don't want to feel like we're in the middle of nowhere (alone up in the mountains in the dead of winter -- creepy creepy).

We'd really like to know more about each of these places to decide. So one-liners like "Don't go to Aspen" or "Go to Jackson it's awesome" won't be much help.

Anyone been to these any of these places? Can you describe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Aspen hands down! Anyday-everyday!!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM

69 posts, read 117,959 times
I'm all about Jackson personally

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM

409 posts, read 587,805 times
Aspen has the worst skiing among the four, but has the best amenities.

Jackson probably has the best skiing. Telluride is very good too, but different (more moguls, more beginner stuff compared to Jackson)

Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 AM

12,849 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I'd go with Aspen or Telluride based on your criteria. It seems you place a little more emphasis on the surroundings and not the terrain. If you were looking for challenging terrain, I'd suggest Jackson first, Telluride second, Big Sky third and Aspen a distant 4th.

Aspen fits best in almost every aspect except the crowds. It does get crowded on big weekends (although they do have a good lift system to move those crowds... it's just you'll rarely find an empty trail, especially if you're shying away from tougher trails). There are plenty of amenities and it certainly doesn't feel like the middle of nowhere. The skiing is pretty diverse too.

Telluride won't be as crowded, it's a great village, the terrain is fantastic, but it may feel a bit more secluded than Aspen due to it's distance from any major city. It's not really isolated though as the village is pretty lively. Great terrain.

Jackson and Big Sky are the more remote resorts of the bunch.

*edit*
just realized the OP was 4 years ago. Hopefully they weren't waiting on responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City