Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
SoCal 35 44.30%
Bay Area 44 55.70%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I do understand the importance of sheer number, but imo, the fact that1 out of every 8 persons in Solano County is Filipino really overwhelms the fact that only 3 out of every 100 persons in the LA Metro is Filipino.
Well, I simply don't agree with your opinion, so that's fine. Definitely don't see how a far smaller community overwhelms a far bigger one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I simply don't agree with your opinion, so that's fine. Definitely don't see how a far smaller community overwhelms a far bigger one.

Is San Diego part of LA now? That's news to me.

And since you keep talking about population, you're ignoring the fact that the LA MSA on the list is 12,950,129 people. That not even the entire Bay Area has about the same Filipino population as an area twice as populated says a whole lot.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Is San Diego part of LA now? That's news to me.

And since you keep talking about population, you're ignoring the fact that the LA MSA on the list is 12,950,129 people. That not even the entire Bay Area has about the same Filipino population as an area twice as populated says a whole lot.
No, definitely not, but the topic was SoCal versus the Bay Area which I pointed out before.

How am I ignoring that LA's MSA simply has a far larger absolute number in population? The huge absolute number is why LA is relevant in this discussion. Los Angeles is a lot of communities packed together. It is why LA is a hub--and not just for Asians but for other communities. You go to the hub.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Yes, we will agree to disagree.

However its not debatable that 1 out of every 8 persons(Solano County) is far more visible and prominent than 3 out of every 100 persons(LA-OC).

Filipinos are far more visible in Solano County. Its really not even close.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
No, definitely not, but the topic was SoCal versus the Bay Area which I pointed out before.

How am I ignoring that LA's MSA simply has a far larger absolute number in population? The huge absolute number is why LA is relevant in this discussion. Los Angeles is a lot of communities packed together. It is why LA is a hub--and not just for Asians but for other communities. You go to the hub.

lol how did I not notice that the topic was SoCal (not just LA)? My bad.

If we're comparing the entirety of Southern California to the Bay Area then this really isn't apples to apples... we're talking about an entire half of the state. IDK why this thread isn't NorCal vs. SoCal, as Norcal also includes Sacramento, Fresno, Stockton, etc. which all have significant and diverse asian populations. Comparing the Bay Area to all of SoCal seems a little ridiculous.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

However its not debatable that 1 out of every 8 persons(Solano County) is far more visible and prominent than 3 out of every 100 persons(LA-OC).

Maybe with the caveats:

1) no one really lives in an entire county at once and
2) when you are in the Filipino neighborhoods of LA county where filipino shops and people are a lot more evident because they have a larger population to support them

I'll add that I'm not saying the Bay Area isn't a large Filipino hub, but that using just percentages is odd and that socal definitely also serves as a Filipino hub.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM

We also know that Asians in the Bay Area have a more prominent presence in wealthy neighborhoods than in the LA Area.

Quote:

1000 Richest Neighborhoods in the US, Top 20 by Asian Population
1 Mission Hills-Vineyards North, Fremont, CA 74.6% Asian
2 Cameron Hills South, Fremont, CA 63.9% Asian
3 Fremont Place, Los Angeles, CA 54.2% Asian
4 Avalon-Vineyards South, Fremont, CA 54.2% Asian
5 Cupertino South-Regnart Canyon, Cupertino, CA 46.1% Asiab
6 The Midwest Club, Oak Brook, IL 40.1% Asian
7 Trinity Lakes, Oak Brook, IL 37.4% Asian
8 Summitpointe Golf Club, Milpitas, CA 36.9% Asian
9 Kahala, Honolulu, HI 33.2% Asian
10 Lakeview, Hillsborough, CA 31.0% Asian
11 Skyfarms-Carollands, Hillsborough, CA 30.3% Asian
12 San Marino Central, San Marino, CA 30.1% Asian
13 Portguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 29.8% Asian
14 Hillsborough Park-Tobin Clark Estate, Hillsborough, CA 27.6% Asian
15 Russian Hill, San Francisco, CA 27.1% Asian
16 Rolling Hills Estates, Poway, CA 25.6% Asian
17 Tustin Ranch, Tustin, CA 24.1% Asian
18 Saddle Brook, Oak Brook, IL 23.8% Asian
19 Esperanza, Yorba Linda, CA 22.8% Asian
20 Sprain Brook-Boulder Ridge, Town of Greenburgh, NY 22.8% Asian
10 of the Top 20 are in the Bay Area
4 of the Top 20 are in the LA Area
3 of the Top 20 are in Oak Brook, IL
1 of the Top 20 is in the NY Area
1 of the Top 20 is in the San Diego Area

Russian Hill has the highest Asian penetration of any upscale big city neighborhood in the entire country.

Mission Hills in Fremont has the highest Asian penetration of any upscale suburban neighborhood in the country.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,399 times
Quote:

Because Solano County is TINY.

You still have not responded to the fact that Filipinos are not spread out "evenly" in the LA/LB/SA metro, there are very specific hubs within L.A. They just don't get their own "MSA"s like freaking Solano County.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Maybe with the caveats:

1) no one really lives in an entire county at once and
2) when you are in the Filipino neighborhoods of LA county where filipino shops and people are a lot more evident because they have a larger population to support them
You cant spin 3% into appearing larger than 12%.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,399 times
Quote:
We also know that Asians in the Bay Area have a more prominent presence in wealthy neighborhoods than in the LA Area.

10 of the Top 20 are in the Bay Area
4 of the Top 20 are in the LA Area
3 of the Top 20 are in Oak Brook, IL
1 of the Top 20 is in the NY Area
1 of the Top 20 is in the San Diego Area

Russian Hill has the highest Asian penetration of any upscale big city neighborhood in the entire country.

Mission Hills in Fremont has the highest Asian penetration of any upscale suburban neighborhood in the country.
Yes, we know the Bay Area is "richer" than the LA area. What does that have to do with anything?

You constantly bring up income stats as if that answers some sort of question. Higher average income = Bay Area. We get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City