Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go?
Seattle 18 32.73%
Denver 8 14.55%
Minneapolis 21 38.18%
Somewhere else? 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,899 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a 23 year old currently living in Las Vegas who is seeking a change.

Some facts:

I'm a cosmetologist and a writer.

I plan to move by 2016/2017.

I like being near water.

I am a highly socially progressive individual.

I enjoy cultural/ethnic diversity.

I like having a car, but not when I have no other choice to get around and am practically a slave to my car, if that makes sense.

I would prefer to be somewhere where there's a wide variety of day trip/weekend getaway options.

Given those facts, which would be the best place for me?

Based on research I've done:

Seattle

Pros: Close to water, mild climate year round, progressive, appears to be very live and let live
Cons: Expensive housing prices (I don't want to have to spend more than $900 on a one bedroom, but I wouldn't be adverse to living in a suburb close to city), seems to attract a rather smug crowd,

Denver

Pros: Also a generally mild climate, reasonable housing prices, on the come-up
Cons: Seems pretty isolated and lacking in day/weekend trip options, the only local water feature appears to be a river (better than nothing but I like bays, seas and lakes better)

Minneapolis

Pros: Lots of history, great artistic scene, doesn't seem to have to crazy a housing market
Cons: Might be a bit too cold for me (I'm not totally adverse to a cold climate but it wouldn't be quite ideal for me either), seems a little more old-fashioned

I'd also be open to anywhere else that people would have to suggest if you think somewhere else better fits my criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I doesn't sound like Denver is your taste. Maybe Seattle for you?

Old 09-04-2014, 04:26 PM

245 posts, read 323,688 times
This one is easy, Seattle.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:34 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_twist View Post

Seattle

Cons: Expensive housing prices (I don't want to have to spend more than $900 on a one bedroom, but I wouldn't be adverse to living in a suburb close to city), seems to attract a rather smug crowd,
That sounds impossible. The one bedrooms here start around $1000. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Well, I did look up some of the suburbs of Seattle (such as Renton, Kent, Federal Way, Burien) where the rents were a little bit cheaper, so like I said I wouldn't be adverse to living in those suburbs. Just as long as I'm not living in car-dependent, sprawly, tract-houses galore suburbia, I'm fine.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That sounds impossible. The one bedrooms here start around $1000. Good luck.
Yeah, STUDIOS start at $1,000. 1 bedroom apartments with no washer/dryer or parking or utilities will be $1,100 and up. If you want parking, add another $150. If you want a washer/dryer, add another $100. If you want your utilities covered except electric, add $80. Rent here ain't gonna work with a 1K budget.

Perhaps in the burbs...

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Yeah, STUDIOS start at $1,000. 1 bedroom apartments with no washer/dryer or parking or utilities will be $1,100 and up. If you want parking, add another $150. If you want a washer/dryer, add another $100. If you want your utilities covered except electric, add $80. Rent here ain't gonna work with a 1K budget.

Perhaps in the burbs...
Yes, like I said previously, I would be open to living in suburbs of Seattle as I did see a few that caught my interest.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:09 PM

993 posts, read 1,766,491 times
I think you would probably like Seattle the best if you can afford it. The Twin Cities are a great option for you too. The weather takes some getting used to, but it's manageable.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 PM

198 posts, read 259,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_twist View Post
Hello everyone! I am a 23 year old currently living in Las Vegas who is seeking a change.

Some facts:

I'm a cosmetologist and a writer.

I plan to move by 2016/2017.

I like being near water.

I am a highly socially progressive individual.

I enjoy cultural/ethnic diversity.

I like having a car, but not when I have no other choice to get around and am practically a slave to my car, if that makes sense.

I would prefer to be somewhere where there's a wide variety of day trip/weekend getaway options.

Given those facts, which would be the best place for me?

Based on research I've done:

Seattle

Pros: Close to water, mild climate year round, progressive, appears to be very live and let live

Denver

Pros: Also a generally mild climate, reasonable housing prices, on the come-up
Cons: Seems pretty isolated and lacking in day/weekend trip options, the only local water feature appears to be a river (better than nothing but I like bays, seas and lakes better)

Minneapolis

Pros: Lots of history, great artistic scene, doesn't seem to have to crazy a housing market
Cons: Might be a bit too cold for me (I'm not totally adverse to a cold climate but it wouldn't be quite ideal for me either), seems a little more old-fashioned

I'd also be open to anywhere else that people would have to suggest if you think somewhere else better fits my criteria.
Seattle is a great place that does fit your criteria except the price of housing is outrageous! I'd go with Minneapolis just from your comment of the $900.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
To be fair, yes, you can get a one-bedroom apartment for under $900 in either Minneapolis or St. Paul...if you're willing to live in a sketchy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City