Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever moved to a new place and SWORE up and down that they would NEVER miss where they moved from but when the hype of a "new" place dies down they end up doing just THAT?

In Michigan (Detroit area mostly) I witnessed quite a few people move out around the recession. Many of them never wanted to move but didn't have a choice. Many of them SWORE that they would NEVER miss MI let alone move back. A few months later (if that) once they get used to the palm trees or whatever they start to miss it. Within a year half of those people want to move back already.

Im just curious have anyone ever done this before?
Or experienced many people doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,740 times
It happened to me when I moved to California. I was so happy to finally have sun and palm trees 24/7, but after a month, I realised I was so used to the rain of Oregon and Texas. Oh well, hopefully within the next couple years I'll be out of here. California's not bad, just the part I live in is boring.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
It happened to me when I moved to California. I was so happy to finally have sun and palm trees 24/7, but after a month, I realised I was so used to the rain of Oregon and Texas. Oh well, hopefully within the next couple years I'll be out of here. California's not bad, just the part I live in is boring.
Is that in the LA area???

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Is that in the LA area???
Yes...

Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
New places can do that to you if you have pumped up expectations.

I had two friends move away from the Seattle area precisely for the rain and gloom of winter. They both moved to California and Arizona respectively.

Within two years they both moved back. California (specifically the LA area) was "full of fakes, dangerous drivers, and generally flaky and superficial people." Arizona had "dull city, dull environment, dull and dangerously bigoted people, dangerous drivers, and hot hot hot summers."

"The grass is greener" syndrome is rampant amongst people who want to move away from somewhere. What they probably need is a new place local to where they live, a new circle of friends, and new places to hang out.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
I moved out of Michigan saying how much I hated it and here I am .. Being away from Michigan really made me realize how nice things are here. Just like traveling to different countries made me realize USA is the best country in the world.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I moved out of Michigan saying how much I hated it and here I am .. Being away from Michigan really made me realize how nice things are here. Just like traveling to different countries made me realize USA is the best country in the world.
Where did u move to/from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City