Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times

Advertisements

Of those three, I would most want to live in Nashville. It is growing and has a diverse economy. It has a good sense of place and a vibrant cultural scene. Having so much music is nice (of course, Memphis is no slouch in the music department either). Plus Nashville has a great university (Vanderbilt) and an NFL team. It seems like the city with the best future. As for negatives, it can be a touch bland/suburban/sprawly feeling, and I could see how if people disliked country music it could be annoying. I would really like to Nashville get denser and become a southern tech/culture hub.

Richmond to me is just okay. There are some really pretty parts, and great housing stock, but the city just doesn't seem very vibrant. I always shake my head when I see the beautiful old houses split up into apartments and poorly maintained. I have visited several times and I always like it pretty well, but there isn't a good attitude around the city. It kind of seems like its best days are behind it. DC overwhelms it and the North Carolina cities of Raleigh and Charlotte seem to have passed it by.

I really wanted to like Memphis when I visited, but it just seemed like most places were either touristy or run-down. I believe Memphis has the highest crime of the three cities. It does have the NBA and has a cool history (especially musially), but it definitely seems like a place in decline. I think it has good potential and perhaps a rebound is possible, but as is and for the foreseeable future, it would not be high on my list of choices. Memphis has often seemed to me like a b-grade version of New Orleans. All the seediness, but less charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times
I've been to all three cities and I'd place Richmond as my first preference, followed by Nashville and then Memphis.

Richmond has an incredible amount of history, dating back to the 1700s, an improving downtown with several vibrant districts (Shockhoe Slip, Bottom, Tobacco Row, and the VCU Campus/Jefferson Hotel area on the west side), plus several lively inner city districts (The Fan, Carytown). It's well positioned for future growth given how inexpensive it is relative to Washington DC.

Nashville is a growing financial center and obviously is the entertainment center of country music. Decent downtown, but I wasn't really impressed by much of the rest of the city.

Despite a bland skyline, Memphis has an interesting collection of older buildings (along Main Street especially) and an incredible music heritage (among the best in the country arguably-with Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Booker T & MG's, Sam & Dave and Big Star). The Poplar Street corridor is well-developed too. But the general impression I received from being there was the city was pretty stagnant and lots of people were moving to suburban Mississippi to avoid dealing with Shelby County. I think its a great city to visit, but lacks the energy and spirit that Richmond and Nashville have.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
^^^ your evaluation is sharp. Richmond isnt for everyone. But of these three, it has the strongest economy and wields the biggest power and reputaion nationally. Memphis and Nashville just dont compare there. Both cities dwarf Richmond in size, however neither city offers a larger quantity of amenities and entertainment; if Richmond is deemed to be behind them its fairly sliggt. The shopping is better in Richmond, although Nashville has some nice areas. Again though, with the size difference, Nashville doesnt have MORE of anything than Richmond. Richmond plays for a city of a larger size. I grew up there and when I realized it only has 200k in the city proper, I was stunned. It can easily be mistaken as a city with half a million. That being said, it will forever play second fiddle to DC, due to its proximity. However, thats not a bad city to play runner-up to. Playing a runner-up to Nashville or Memphis illustrates a city that just doesnt have "it." And from downton to any other levels of comparison, Richmond is far and away the best city in this list...

I will say that Charlotte passed Richmond 25-30 yrs ago. Charlotte is a premier city in this country, one of the Top 20 probably. That said, it isnt that far above Richmond...and Raleigh is Nashville. Its a boomtown and growing a big reputation very quickly. Very fun, but it isnt yet at Richmond status. Again, I dont think Richmond is far ahead of Raleigh, but Raleigh doesnt have the esteem that Richmond has yet...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@ Smtchll, I believe that you're closed to Nashville in your defense of Memphis. I will agree that compared to many cities I've visited, Nashville is very suburban. But not compared to Memphis. Its surpassed Memphis with low density and suburbanization, and in that process become moreso metropolitan. And I think both are recognized equally, but in today's world Nashville is more esteemed. But whatever...

This thread was unfair, as Richmond does not deserve to be compared with either city. Based strictly off of population, it would seem like a fair fight, but once you get into the characteristics of each city, you find that its not even close....
I'm closed to Nashville being more urban, the point that I originally started disputing with you. I dont care if Nashville has more low density & suburbanization, I was arguing about which city is more urban...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I've been to all three cities and I'd place Richmond as my first preference, followed by Nashville and then Memphis.

Richmond has an incredible amount of history, dating back to the 1700s, an improving downtown with several vibrant districts (Shockhoe Slip, Bottom, Tobacco Row, and the VCU Campus/Jefferson Hotel area on the west side), plus several lively inner city districts (The Fan, Carytown). It's well positioned for future growth given how inexpensive it is relative to Washington DC.

Nashville is a growing financial center and obviously is the entertainment center of country music. Decent downtown, but I wasn't really impressed by much of the rest of the city.

Despite a bland skyline, Memphis has an interesting collection of older buildings (along Main Street especially) and an incredible music heritage (among the best in the country arguably-with Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Booker T & MG's, Sam & Dave and Big Star). The Poplar Street corridor is well-developed too. But the general impression I received from being there was the city was pretty stagnant and lots of people were moving to suburban Mississippi to avoid dealing with Shelby County. I think its a great city to visit, but lacks the energy and spirit that Richmond and Nashville have.
I havent been to Richmond, but this post is spot on when it comes to Nashville & Memphis.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,092 times
Quote:
^^^ your evaluation is sharp. Richmond isnt for everyone. But of these three, it has the strongest economy and wields the biggest power and reputaion nationally. Memphis and Nashville just dont compare there. Both cities dwarf Richmond in size, however neither city offers a larger quantity of amenities and entertainment; if Richmond is deemed to be behind them its fairly sliggt. The shopping is better in Richmond, although Nashville has some nice areas. Again though, with the size difference, Nashville doesnt have MORE of anything than Richmond. Richmond plays for a city of a larger size. I grew up there and when I realized it only has 200k in the city proper, I was stunned. It can easily be mistaken as a city with half a million. That being said, it will forever play second fiddle to DC, due to its proximity. However, thats not a bad city to play runner-up to. Playing a runner-up to Nashville or Memphis illustrates a city that just doesnt have "it." And from downton to any other levels of comparison, Richmond is far and away the best city in this list...

I will say that Charlotte passed Richmond 25-30 yrs ago. Charlotte is a premier city in this country, one of the Top 20 probably. That said, it isnt that far above Richmond...and Raleigh is Nashville. Its a boomtown and growing a big reputation very quickly. Very fun, but it isnt yet at Richmond status. Again, I dont think Richmond is far ahead of Raleigh, but Raleigh doesnt have the esteem that Richmond has yet...
While Richmond has some amazing historic neighborhoods, I think you may be over-romanticizing its current importance a bit. It certainly does not have a stronger economy than Nashville. I think Richmond has great shopping for the size of the metro (certainly better than Memphis which is closer to the same size), but it's not quite up there with Green Hills which essentially has everything Richmond can offer up in that arena and then some. Both cities have some good boutiques as well though. And I can only laugh at your comment about Nashville not offering anything that Richmond doesn't especially when it comes to entertainment options. Do you really even want to go down that route?

I don't think Raleigh and Nashville are all that similar either aside from the fact that both have healthy growth rates and are somewhat multi-nodal metros with large satelitte towns. All three of the cities in this poll have cores with much better bones than the comparable NC metros like Raleigh and Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Memphis is nearly half of the metro because it's not sprawling all over the place, which is a plus in my opinion. Yes, there is some sprawl, but the population is more compact and concentrated in Shelby County. If Memphis consolidated with Shelby County, like Nashville did with Davidson County, then it would have 300,000 more people than Nashville, but it would have about the same population density
Shelby County is 1.5 times the size of Davidson County so it's somewhat arbitrary to compare the core counties of the metros. Davidson County actually has a higher population density anyway. I do think you are spot on about the city center of Memphis. It's an older, denser Mississippi River city and has the bones to prove it, but Nashville and Memphis are such different beasts from the topography down to their histories. They hit their strides at different times and it shows.

I do think Memphis is under-appreciated but I don't agree that Memphis "looks" as nice as Nashville. However, it's certainly subjective. I think Nashville has done a better job of revitalizing areas and "hiding" the bad ones. I will agree that Memphis has some great historic residential neighborhoods that make me slightly envious (I'd say the same for Louisville and Richmond as well). But it just doesn't have the same drivers as Nashville that's spurring the noticeable new growth with neighborhoods like The Gulch that are developing from essentially nothing or suburban juggernauts like Franklin or Murfreesboro. These things give Nashville a better mix of new and old and noticeably more vibrancy.

Last edited by ariesjow; 04-12-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
^^^ your evaluation is sharp. Richmond isnt for everyone. But of these three, it has the strongest economy and wields the biggest power and reputaion nationally. Memphis and Nashville just dont compare there.
I tend to agree with you about Richmond's economy as it has an impressive number of F500 company headquarters given its size and currently has a lower unemployment rate than both Nashville and Memphis. I think Nashville's local economy is more well-rounded but Richmond's is slightly stronger. But I think I disagree with you concerning reputation as I think Nashville's and Memphis's are bigger and stronger since these two cities have more national cultural relevance due to their musical legacies.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,775 times
Quote:

Nashville is more comparable to Charlotte than Richmond to be honest...

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Nashville is more comparable to Charlotte than Richmond to be honest...
Agreed.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Okay, we are all able to have contrasting opinions. After all, everybody doesnt even like New York, with its esteem and all. Every city isnt for everyone...

But its a FACT that internationally, Richmond has the bigger reputation. It is a Gamma world city, and since neither Nashville or Memphis have ever been considered world cities, this point isnt debatable. As far as shopping and retail, it is a FACT that Richmond offers the most shopping per capita in the COUNTRY. And luxury shopping to rival Green Hills? Stony Point, Short Pump, Carytown. Either of those themselves equal or surpass Green Hills. Somebody wants recognition? Richmond is FAR more known on a historical scale, and because of its prestige in banking and the like, wins in the modern day too. Lets be real: when someone hears of Nashville, you automically think country AND country music. Many people dont even realize that Nashville is Tennessee's capital. Of course, I've been there, so I know what Nashville is about. But for this debate, I am of the mind that Richmond is in a seperate league, and there is facts to support that thought...

Maybe Nashville has a slight edge culturally, I think I said that in a post yesterday. But you would expect a city that is THREE times Richmond's size to offer three times the fun, but in actuality there is no large ditance between the two. So to the guy who asked me do I want to go there, yes I do :-)...in education, again I believe they are equal. VCU offers some of the best training programs in nursing anywhere.

My bottom line point is that with both these cities outweighing Richmond the way they do, they dont back it up in any aspect besides population and geography. And there are facts to back that up....

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
But its a FACT that internationally, Richmond has the bigger reputation. It is a Gamma world city, and since neither Nashville or Memphis have ever been considered world cities, this point isnt debatable.
I think people put way too much stock into that particular categorization system and it has absolutely nothing to do with general reputation. New Orleans isn't categorized according to that system; based on that, would you sit there with a straight face and say that internationally, Richmond has a bigger reputation than New Orleans???? Even if going by that system, I'd say that after the Beta cities, there's not a whole lot of recognition for the other cities internationally; it's pretty negligible after that.

Quote:
As far as shopping and retail, it is a FACT that Richmond offers the most shopping per capita in the COUNTRY.
Is that going by municipal limits? If so, you absolutely must consider Virginia's independent cities setup that makes Richmond unique in this regard. It would be better to do a metro-to-metro comparison on this front.

Quote:
Somebody wants recognition? Richmond is FAR more known on a historical scale, and because of its prestige in banking and the like, wins in the modern day too.

Lets be real: when someone hears of Nashville, you automically think country AND country music. Many people dont even realize that Nashville is Tennessee's capital. Of course, I've been there, so I know what Nashville is about. But for this debate, I am of the mind that Richmond is in a seperate league, and there is facts to support that thought...
You're downplaying the music industry presence in Nashville significantly, and I'm willing to bet Nashville gets more recognition because of that then Richmond gets for its history. That's reflected in the tourism numbers: Nashville gets almost twice as many visitors annually as Richmond does. Nashville is known as the country music capital of the world, has the music industry sector that reflects that, and gets the tourists associated with that. Richmond is known for being the capital of the Confederacy, but it wasn't the only one nor the first. Even in the South, New Orleans and Charleston have more historical notoriety than Richmond. And I disagree that Richmond has prestige in banking. Sure it has a federal reserve bank, but that's pretty much the extent of it; it's no Charlotte in that regard. The one industry that comes to mind for me when I think of Richmond is tobacco.

Quote:
Maybe Nashville has a slight edge culturally, I think I said that in a post yesterday. But you would expect a city that is THREE times Richmond's size to offer three times the fun, but in actuality there is no large ditance between the two.
You're putting WAY too much stock into city population. Virginia has independent cities, so its cities are pretty much prevented from annexing like cities in other states can. If I understand correctly, the only way Richmond could significantly enlarge its borders is if it were to merge with a neighboring county, much like VA Beach did years ago. So the whole "three times larger" thing isn't an accurate depiction of reality. Going by metropolitan standards, Nashville is something like one-third larger than Richmond.

Quote:
So to the guy who asked me do I want to go there, yes I do :-)...in education, again I believe they are equal. VCU offers some of the best training programs in nursing anywhere.
I'm going to have to disagree on this front as well. You can't just put one program at one university up against one of the highest-ranked institutions in the South. Although Richmond does well for itself here, Vanderbilt clearly gives Nashville the edge in higher ed.

I like Richmond and it has much to offer, especially considering its size, but I think you're being too much of a homer here and are seriously shortchanging Nashville in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City