Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
D.K. Shifflet & Associates (never heard of them?

One question: What makes these people and associates reliable?

I just went to their home page. If you look it at it, It looks VERY un-reliable and VERY unprofessional.
Oh, come on. Stop making excuses, Christ.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
You called me joke? Did you ever bother to read? btw.. DSKA is a Travel Research company, not Forbes. Based on DSKA's data, Chicago, NY, Atlanta and Orlando all tie at #1 as the most visited cities in US. LA ranks 7 so don't get too upset. No US city ever used Forbes Traveler data to estimate the tourism trends. The tourism rankings are based on data provided by DKSA. Again here is the DSKA report for 2006

Tourism rankings

A revised formula for calculating the number of domestic visitors to a city each year has vaulted Chicago into a four-way tie for first in 2006 with Atlanta, Orlando and New York. In 2005, under the old formula, Chicago was No. 4.

2006 rankings, new formula

1. Chicago (4-way tie)

1. Atlanta

1. Orlando

1. New York

2. Houston

3. Atlantic City

4. San Diego

5. Dallas

6. San Antonio

7. Los Angeles

Quote:
youre a joke? whats "travelers"??
the most visited city in the Country is Orlando! guess who's next?? Los Angeles! New York is at number 4 and Chicago is at six or five. Go check it on ForbesTraveler. The second largest city in the country is Los Angeles. Like it or not.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
and since when are you the "Voice of the People"??
Travel OUTSIDE of California and you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Its not gonna happen, even when confronted with facts. Let them be convinced that LA is the most superior city in the United States, its the only way to shake em off you. I swear, theyre like flies to rotted roadkill. Anyone got some LA-Lover-Begone spray?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Field Museum of Natural History

Museum of Science and Industry

Chicago Art Museum

Adler Planetarium

Navy Pier

John Hancock Observatory

Sears Tower Observatory

Seadog lakefront skyline cruise

Architectural tour on the Chicago River

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Visit the dozens of live theatres (Second City, Steppenwolf, Goodman, etc)

Millenium Park

Grant Park

Oak Street Beach

Magnificent Mile shopping (best shopping corridor in the USA)

Oak Street shopping

China Town

Germantown

Wrigley Field (Cubs)

US Cellular Field (White Sox)

United Center (Bulls and Blackhawks)

Soldier Field (Bears)

Civic Opera House

House of Blues

The 10,000 (get your mind over that!) restaurants in the downtown area.

Buckingham Fountain

Stock Exchange

Visit the Palmer House, Four Seasons, Hotel Intercontinental, Drake Hotel, etc

Bahai Temple

Brookfield Zoo

Lincoln Park Zoo

Chicago Cultural Center

Lincoln Park Conservatory

Chicago Botanical Garden

Chicago ArchiCenter

And Im just scratching the surface. Now I know its hard for LA folks to comprehend what a dynamic downtown is, but hopefully this will give you a slight clue.

Now, what can you do in downtown LA? Eat at Maria Villalobos' Taco Stand?
Wow, thank you for the list. Im sure I wont have to stop at all those baseball fields. Theres not much to see. A lot of those things can be found in ANY other city, BUT Ill check 'em out anyways. If those are all the museums Chicago has..thats nice but it doesnt compare to the amount of museum Los Angeles has. So does Chicago have Disneyland? Universal Studios? Six Flags? Movie studios? TV Shows to attend? Movie premiers? Award shows (Did you catch the Emmy's in downtown Los ANgeles two nights ago)?, beaches? Elegant shopping in more than just two locations? just aksing. Im out of this forum for now. The Good Luck Chuck movie premier starring Jessica Alba is gonna be at 5pm today at the Bruin Theatre.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Since when are these excuses?? Im serious! go check their homepage! it looks like anybody could have done it. (It really isnt hard to make a web page)

Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
You called me joke? Did you ever bother to read? btw.. DSKA is a Travel Research company, not Forbes. Based on DSKA's data, Chicago, NY, Atlanta and Orlando all tie at #1 as the most visited cities in US. LA ranks 7 so don't get too upset. No US city ever used Forbes Traveler data to estimate the tourism trends. The tourism rankings are based on data provided by DKSA. Again here is the DSKA report for 2006

Tourism rankings

A revised formula for calculating the number of domestic visitors to a city each year has vaulted Chicago into a four-way tie for first in 2006 with Atlanta, Orlando and New York. In 2005, under the old formula, Chicago was No. 4.

2006 rankings, new formula

1. Chicago (4-way tie)

1. Atlanta

1. Orlando

1. New York

2. Houston

3. Atlantic City

4. San Diego

5. Dallas

6. San Antonio

7. Los Angeles
This really doesn't mean much. I mean Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston are up there most likely due to business trips. I doubt very much people visit those cities, for leisure, over the likes of Orlando, San Francisco AND Los Angeles. Come on! Travel statistics have nothing to do with why people visit.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You can't come up with anything either. If I said there was nothing to do in LA you'd be all over me. Get over yourself.
Get over myself?? listen to what you write!!!
since when have I purposely bashed another city??
you just hop a long this entire forum comparing and bashing cities like if they were paying you to do it.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
That's why you need to read and find out

DK Shifflet & Associates - Dest Clients page (http://www.dksa.com/destcli.html - broken link)

D.K. Shifflet & Associates Ltd. (DKS&A) specializes in market research and consulting services to all sectors of the travel industry. Established in 1982, the company is located in Falls Church, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, DC

DKS&A is the recognized leader in travel research with extensive specialization in lodging, destination information and consulting. DKS&A monitors U.S. travel over time by conducting a total of six, monthly, ongoing syndicated traveler surveys that form our DIRECTIONS® Travel Intelligence SystemSM.

DESTINATION CLIENTS

The U.S. Government, Department of Commerce

States: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Cities: Asheville, Atlantic City, Baltimore, Boston, Branson, Buffalo, Canton, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Colonial Williamsburg, Dallas, Detroit, Durham, Ft. Lauderdale, Hilton Head, Hot Springs, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Kissimmee/St. Cloud, Lancaster, Las Vegas, Laurel Highlands, Little Rock, Long Island, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Myrtle Beach, Nashville, New York City, Niagara Falls, Orlando, PA Dutch/Lancaster, Pigeon Forge, Poconos, Providence, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Savannah, St. Louis, Tulsa, and Traverse City.

Quote:
D.K. Shifflet & Associates (never heard of them?

One question: What makes these people and associates reliable?

I just went to their home page. If you look it at it, It looks VERY un-reliable and VERY unprofessional.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Magnificent Mile shopping (best shopping corridor in the USA)
HAHAHAHAHA...now that's funny. the "so-called" Magnificant Mile the best shopping corridor in the U.S. That's so ridiculous it's hysterical.

As your list proves - not really much to do in Chicago - it's a BIG midwestern town...

I will say, though, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is the best thing to come out of Chicago, and one of the best things to come out of the U.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the CSO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City