Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What the **** does annual precipitation have to do with humidity? The answer is really nothing....

You can't just take one day lmao. One day la jolla will have higher humidity the next day lower. you gotta look at the average:

la jolla, ca averages 80.5% humidity
La Jolla, CA Weather

miami, fl averages 72.63% humidity
Miami, FL Weather

So what you gotta say to that?

lol it really isn't bad at all. i doubt anyone moved away from the heat especially people with ac but i maybe wrong. I think it has to do with jobs (yes, a lot of retirees work because they're bored they also pick up checks), hurricanes, lower real estate, and maybe crime. though i'm pretty sure the bulk share of people moving from florida to the carolinas are young people searching for jobs.

83 is more comfortable than 67. Try being in 67 with a tee and shorts for a prolonged period of time (especially at night) and get back to me
YOu are being very misleading in your weather statistics. What you are actually saying is that LaJolla is a good bit cooler than Miami. In order to compare RHs you need at comparable temperatures.

In Las Vegas on a hot day we may very well see 35% RH at dawn and 72 F. But at 4PM it will be 105 and 5% RH. That reading is actually more comfortable than 90/90 in Miami.

So what you really need is the RH in the hot part of the day...and then MIami gets killed.

The problem with LaJolla is June gloom...on shore winds with moisture hazing up the day. I would never live in the coastal plain of CA. It is however wonderful 5 or 10 miles inland. Summer in Miami however can be far worse. And there you must stay on the coast and catch a sea breeze. Otherwise unlivable outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
YOu are being very misleading in your weather statistics. What you are actually saying is that LaJolla is a good bit cooler than Miami. In order to compare RHs you need at comparable temperatures.

In Las Vegas on a hot day we may very well see 35% RH at dawn and 72 F. But at 4PM it will be 105 and 5% RH. That reading is actually more comfortable than 90/90 in Miami.

So what you really need is the RH in the hot part of the day...and then MIami gets killed.

The problem with LaJolla is June gloom...on shore winds with moisture hazing up the day. I would never live in the coastal plain of CA. It is however wonderful 5 or 10 miles inland. Summer in Miami however can be far worse. And there you must stay on the coast and catch a sea breeze. Otherwise unlivable outdoors.
No i'm not, the topic was humidity not heat index. I agree that the heat indices in miami are higher but not the humidity. The reason is probably the rain, the rain washes out the humidity regularly whereas in la jolla it stays in longer because it just doesn't rain (and the dry air close to the ocean probably sucks the ocean air directly inland).

and I know you guys have no concept of what liveability really means but take it from a guy who had to slum it. Even 90 when you're trying to sleep with minimal clothes will FEEL cold. But 60s/70s and you will get hypothermia. If you can get hypothermic in 60 F water you can in 60 F air it just takes longer. So 90s is more liveable than 60s you just have the benefit of clothes, shelter, heat on your side. Put it this way, why did most of life begin in tropical africa before it spread (with the help of tools, fire, and clothes) to more "temperate" climates?

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 05-26-2012 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:03 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
People generally understand the concept of hot and muggy, and people are either ok with that kind of climate or that kind of climate is uncomfortable for them. Hot and muggy is uncomfortable for me, and Coral Gables is hot and muggy, and LaJolla is not, so I prefer LaJolla to Coral Gables.

Can't quite figure why people want to take issue with that. It's just a personal preference, which is what the OP asked for, right?

Quote:
and I know you guys have no concept of what liveability really means but take it from a guy who had to slum it. Even 90 when you're trying to sleep with minimal clothes will FEEL cold. But 60s/70s and you will get hypothermia.
I don't think the OP was asking if we were homeless which would we prefer between LaJolla and Coral Gables. I took it to mean if we had the ability to live in either place (implication have shelter), where would we prefer between the two and why. And fortunately I've never been homeless, so in the context of having always had a place to live, extended hours during the day or night for me has never led to hypothermia. That seems like sort of a sidetrack from what the OP was asking. Upper 60s feel a lot better to me to be outside for hours at a time than 90 and humid, or 90 with a high heat index, or 90 and muggy. The latter feels uncomfortable for me to be in even for minutes. I have never felt cold sleeping with minimal clothes at 90 degrees. I have always felt hot and miserable whenever I have slept in any condition at 90 degrees. So Coral Gables' climate to me is miserable, whereas LaJolla's is awesome.

Last edited by MantaRay; 05-26-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 PM

you can backtrack if you want but you specifically said coral gables was more humid than la jolla (thick air). I said that wasn't true and showed to you it isn't. No one bothered to argue you about the combination of heat and humidity (muggy). I know MIA is hotter than la Jolla.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Can't quite figure why people want to take issue with that. It's just a personal preference, which is what the OP asked for, right?
I'm fine with your preference of la jolla and the weather but it's simply not true that la jolla's weather is more liveable. That's more a fact. La Jolla's weather needs more amenities for you to survive (shelter, clothing). Put it this way, before mankind got clothes where did he originate?

trust me on this, with minimal clothes and no shelter your dead from the cold in la jolla in almost any season in a matter of a few days.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with your preference of la jolla and the weather but it's simply not true that la jolla's weather is more liveable.
I never said anything about liveable. I could retain the ability to LIVE in either place. I just deteste hot and muggy conditions, and Coral Gables has a whole lot of that whereas LaJolla doesn't have much of that at all.

Quote:
trust me on this, with minimal clothes and no shelter your dead from the cold in la jolla in almost any season in a matter of a few days.
Trust me on this, the OP wasn't asking us if we had minimal clothes and no shelter which of the two would we prefer. In fact, most discussions in city-data ASSUME one is not homeless when talking about what cities we prefer and in comparing city to city. If you have a perspective ON the homeless, and that is your "why" on your personal preference, then well and good, but I don't see the point in infusing that into the midst of replies from other people who aren't in the least talking about a homeless perspective. To be blunt, I don't give a rip about minimal clothes and no shelter. I prefer LaJolla's weather to Coral Gables by far, from the perspective of what city-data generally assumes about comparisons, that the idea is living in a place with shelter, not being on the street. I prefer LaJolla and I don't HAVE to consider the perspective of a homeless person in my answer to the OP's question about which I would prefer and why.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM

the other guy mentioned livability, with you all i had issue was your statement cg had more humidity than lj.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
the other guy mentioned livability, with you all i had issue was your statement cg had more humidity than lj.
Be careful with your terminology. Your above statement is quite incorrect. CG has lots more humidity than LJ. You are actually pitching RH..which is in fact the relative saturation of the air not the absolute humidity.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Be careful with your terminology. Your above statement is quite incorrect. CG has lots more humidity than LJ. You are actually pitching RH..which is in fact the relative saturation of the air not the absolute humidity.
i don't know what rh is but the website i gave clearly says average humidity. Absolute, rh this explain the difference to me a like a 6 yo.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you segmented my statement into humidity by itself and ignored what my statements were really about- heat/humidity combination and how CG has it in spades whereas LJ does not. Ultimately that segmenting proved to be a distraction away from the point I was actually making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City