Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix or Dallas for a 45 yr. old Black Female socializing?
Phoenix 12 40.00%
Dallas 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM

16 posts, read 43,838 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I'm a 45 AA female born and raised in Detroit. I'm SO over "the cold & snow" I'm really leaning towards relocating to "Phoenix" or Dallas due to the weather and job. I like the fact that Phoenix is near Cali and Las Vegas. In my former life I was a flight attendant and plan to return back to flying.
NOW... I enjoy Happy Hour, networking with my 35 & up and if I decide at 10:30 pm I want to go out - I want to go out on the town and not be BORED in the house! I'm concerned about "nite life and events that cater to people of color." Seems like I'm running across a lot of of people online asking "where are the black people in Phoenix?" I have a few black friends from Detroit living in Phoenix & Dallas and they love it! I enjoyed both places but each visit was short. I know you have to make your own fun and way of life but I want to live in a city that a girl my age and color will enjoy. Presently I'm living in West Bloomfield, Mi.
p.s. Everyone talks about the "roaches" in Houston but what about Dallas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM

347 posts, read 492,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherripye View Post
Hi everybody! I'm a 45 AA female born and raised in Detroit. I'm SO over "the cold & snow" I'm really leaning towards relocating to "Phoenix" or Dallas due to the weather and job. I like the fact that Phoenix is near Cali and Las Vegas. In my former life I was a flight attendant and plan to return back to flying.
NOW... I enjoy Happy Hour, networking with my 35 & up and if I decide at 10:30 pm I want to go out - I want to go out on the town and not be BORED in the house! I'm concerned about "nite life and events that cater to people of color." Seems like I'm running across a lot of of people online asking "where are the black people in Phoenix?" I have a few black friends from Detroit living in Phoenix & Dallas and they love it! I enjoyed both places but each visit was short. I know you have to make your own fun and way of life but I want to live in a city that a girl my age and color will enjoy. Presently I'm living in West Bloomfield, Mi.
p.s. Everyone talks about the "roaches" in Houston but what about Dallas? Thanks!
Dallas has low housing prices but INCREASING property taxes, not to mention it's fair share of Social/Ethnic diversity Problems.

Phoenix seems like the better deal because it's not a national hub in the sense that Atlanta, or NYC or LA or NJ or Dallas or Houston is. Phoenix has a quiet booming growth that keeps property taxes low, though in some areas they are rising. Many stories I hear say that Arizona is really laid back and things are far apart so you will need a car. I never hear any negative stories about it in terms of Social/ethnic diversity, well aside from illegal immigrant problems in AZ.

Though I have heard MANY negative things about Texas...

Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Dallas has low housing prices but INCREASING property taxes, not to mention it's fair share of Social/Ethnic diversity Problems.

Phoenix seems like the better deal because it's not a national hub in the sense that Atlanta, or NYC or LA or NJ or Dallas or Houston is. Phoenix has a quiet booming growth that keeps property taxes low, though in some areas they are rising. Many stories I hear say that Arizona is really laid back and things are far apart so you will need a car. I never hear any negative stories about it in terms of Social/ethnic diversity, well aside from illegal immigrant problems in AZ.

Though I have heard MANY negative things about Texas...
Im sorry, but Dallas is far more diverse than Phoneix is especially when it comes to number of African American residents and integration of African American residents.

Let me ask you, how many times have you been to Texas? Who do you know who lives here? Where are you getting these opinions?

Not saying the OP wouldnt be happy in Phoenix as well, but I am saying that Dallas is going to have more ammenities catering to the African American community (a lot more) than Phoenix.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im sorry, but Dallas is far more diverse than Phoneix is especially when it comes to number of African American residents and integration of African American residents.

Let me ask you, how many times have you been to Texas? Who do you know who lives here? Where are you getting these opinions?

Not saying the OP wouldnt be happy in Phoenix as well, but I am saying that Dallas is going to have more ammenities catering to the African American community (a lot more) than Phoenix.
I know people that moved to both states. I definitely know that states like Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, etc have their fair share of "social" problems.

Examples such as Georgia where there were separate Proms.
Examples such as Texas a beheading of a man due to the color of his skin.

Not saying AZ won't have it's share of "social" problems, what with illegal immigration. And I am not making fun of Texas either, but if the OP is tired of the STATUS QUO or the "DEFAULT" choice for this or that skin color person, she can move to AZ make a fresh start. AZ is not a natural choice for most Americans looking for a place to relocate, but from what I hear many people of ANY color love AZ.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Let me just say youre the first person Ive met with that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Examples such as Georgia where there were separate Proms.
Examples such as Texas a beheading of a man due to the color of his skin.
Those things happen everywhere and would be a total non-issue in either Dallas or Phoenix.

I still dont understand how you arrive at your opinion since Texas is far, far, FAR more diverse than Arizona (as is Dallas to Phoenix).

Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
In Dallas, look into the Best Southwest area and in Phoenix, perhaps parts of Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler and Goodyear. That Best Southwest area are cities that are middle class and have high to predominate Black percentages, while those Phoenix suburbs have relatively noteable Black percentages. Knowing that you are coming from West Bloomfield, those places in both areas would probably be similar or could fit.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Let me just say youre the first person Ive met with that opinion.

Those things happen everywhere and would be a total non-issue in either Dallas or Phoenix.

I still dont understand how you arrive at your opinion since Texas is far, far, FAR more diverse than Arizona (as is Dallas to Phoenix).
So if by diversity you mean having MORE of one specific race/color/ethnicity, then Texas would be the place to be versus AZ, because city-data suggests that most races other than white or Latino are less than their respective national averages.

BUT, if you mean diversity by the mere fact of having say more than 100 persons of any specific race/color/ethnicity, then AZ AND TEXAS are EQUALLY good places for anyone to be.

AND in terms of African-Americans:

2009 data shows:
  • White alone - 3,767,988 (57.1%)
  • Hispanic - 2,031,651 (30.8%)
  • American Indian alone - 260,968 (4.0%)
  • Black alone - 237,258 (3.6%)
  • Asian alone - 162,025 (2.5%)
  • Two or more races - 113,917 (1.7%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 11,051 (0.2%)
  • Other race alone - 10,920 (0.2%)

Last edited by jerseyexpat; 11-05-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM

the numbers above are for the entire state. Phoenix being the most populated.

Other data from 2009 in the Phoenix Area:
  • White alone - 725,457 (45.5%)
  • Hispanic - 688,939 (43.2%)
  • Black alone - 84,975 (5.3%)
  • Asian alone - 44,134 (2.8%)
  • American Indian alone - 23,597 (1.5%)
  • Two or more races - 21,296 (1.3%)
  • Other race alone - 3,552 (0.2%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1,708 (0.1%)

Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 PM

I guess in terms of numbers Texas would be more tempting for someone AA, especially if that was all they were basing their decisions on, numbers.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM

594 posts, read 699,592 times
Default Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherripye View Post
I'm going to be very real with...I've talked to many many Mexicans and asked them why did you risk life and limb to come to America, the answer is mostly always ....to get away from Mexicans. When I was leaving Atlanta, people would ask me why, my answer would be to get away from US.

If you asked the founding fathers ( Caucasians ) why they left England, they probably would say...to get the h_ _l away from US...

Phoenix is a GREAT choice because ALL the races get along. Kids play together, there are no " All black night-clubs " everyone parties together, you are not followed in stores...everyone lives together, this place is incredible.

I honestly did not know such a place existed in America.

If you choose Dallas, you will go back to the same madness and frustrations you have now. Don't believe me ? just watch the ..." The first 48 "

Do NOT blow this opportunity. In life, this type of cross-roads usually only comes a couple of times in a lifetime..........I AM A AFRICAN AMERICAN AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City