Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is the WORST at snow removal?
Denver 3 6.52%
Chicago 3 6.52%
Seattle 21 45.65%
Washington DC 19 41.30%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times

Advertisements

Which city is the worst at snow removal? I think it is Seattle because it is so unpredictable. Some years get 15 inches, other years get 0. Add on the hilly terrain and it is a recipe for disaster. However, DC and Chicago have had issues over the decades as well. I threw in Denver, because it, like Seattle is unpredictable and can go from 70 degrees to 20 in less than 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 10:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Under de Blasio (seemingly) New York has been kind of terrible. Regardless of the mayor, they are entire neighborhoods in Staten Island that are seemingly forgotten about each year. It frequently makes the news - SI residents grumbling about their streets being buried under 6+ inches of snow two days after the storm hit, or whatever.

Talking about NYC because I have no experience regarding snow in the cities you mentioned, but I imagine somewhere with less experience with snow/less snowfall would be worse - which is why New York is surprising. I mean, we don't get pummeled with snow here but we get enough to know how to handle it. We tend to get at least one bad storm a season. At least. Yet sometimes, they seriously fail in the snow removal department. IMO, usually when a city sucks at snow removal, it's because they were under-prepared. Perhaps the weather forecast was wrong and the storm hit earlier than expected, or more snow than expected was dumped, or maybe ice was a bigger problem than expected. Sometimes, city officials don't like to listen to the forecast and decide to become meteorologists for a day and create their own forecast and decide what to do accordingly. That kind of stuff.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 PM

I probably should have added some more cities to this poll. Please post your choices if not in the poll.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
Out of those cities, Seattle for sure from what I've seen. Don't know about the other two, but Denver is fairly good at snow removal. The sunny climate is also very helpful.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Not sure why Chicago is on here, it would qualify as one of the best for quick, effective snow removal in most situations.

DC always seems to be a huge mess because they rarely see large storms. I have friends out there who grew up in the Midwest and they always laugh at DC when it snows and everything shuts down right away and the cleanup is haphazard.

Denver I'm sure does a good job, similar to Chicago, and I would think Seattle would do quite poorly given the fact it rarely gets snowstorms.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
It's hard to beat Pittsburgh.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Not sure why Chicago is on here, it would qualify as one of the best for quick, effective snow removal in most situations.

DC always seems to be a huge mess because they rarely see large storms. I have friends out there who grew up in the Midwest and they always laugh at DC when it snows and everything shuts down right away and the cleanup is haphazard.

Denver I'm sure does a good job, similar to Chicago, and I would think Seattle would do quite poorly given the fact it rarely gets snowstorms.
I only added Chicago because of the terrible snow disaster in 1979. I realize that is ancient history for most, but it was so bad back then a mayor lost his job, arguably, because of it. I'm glad things have changed.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I only added Chicago because of the terrible snow disaster in 1979. I realize that is ancient history for most, but it was so bad back then a mayor lost his job, arguably, because of it. I'm glad things have changed.
Ah, so like Nickels? Did that mayor also gave himself a B grade on that whole snow debacle? Even now, Seattle + snow will give me twitches. You could always expect new videos of the Queen Anne hill slide outs every snowy winter.

I would put in just about every city of SE on the list. Last winter in my area (Middle TN), they've actually went ahead and cancelled school because of possible snowfall. A lot of the times, it was just a brief snow flurries. It was pretty strange.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Remember how terribly Atlanta handled one storm a few years ago? Can't remember if it was one or two winters ago now but the mayor was ripped apart. They got like 3 inches and everything shut down, people were stranded for HOURS on highways, it was ridiculous. Of course Atlanta is not used to snow neither is much of the South but still. They talked about it in the news for days up here in NYC area, and that is rare.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Remember how terribly Atlanta handled one storm a few years ago? Can't remember if it was one or two winters ago now but the mayor was ripped apart. They got like 3 inches and everything shut down, people were stranded for HOURS on highways, it was ridiculous. Of course Atlanta is not used to snow neither is much of the South but still. They talked about it in the news for days up here in NYC area, and that is rare.
The snow didn't shut Atlanta down. The ice did. Poor reporting has everyone believing it was snow. I was one of those people on the highway and can tell you, definitively, it was ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City