Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That actually wouldn't look too bad if somebody picked up the trash and mowed the grass.
Sunnydale actually looks a lot worse than that. That streetview captured a slightly cleaned up area in the jects. Look at this old 90's video of a rapper from the Sunnydale projects in San Francisco. Pause the video at 0:03 and again at 2:52-2:55. If that looks "nice" to you, then you must be from some third world locale in Indonesia:

I think its ironic that people think that one ghetto is "worse" than others by the way it looks in terms of crime. You people do realize that in many big cities kids from the "nice" looking ghetto neighborhoods often go to war with kids from the more run-down looking neighborhoods. Thats how it was in San Francisco. Kids from single family homes in Lakeview have been shooting it out with project kids from Sunnydale for decades. Even though Lakeview looked much nicer than the projects in Sunnydale, Hunter's Point and Potrero Hill, the crime rate was significantly higher in Lakeview for many years in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 09-14-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I have been to the hoods in south Florida. I spent some time in the ghettos of west palm beach. It look like a place to avoid but I wasn't used to the dead feeling.

The Miami ghettos look different then east coast ghettos but felt the same.

West palm beach ghettos felt like a suburban ghetto. It felt like I was in a long island ghetto whereas Miami felt like I was in the boroughs ghetto if you know what I mean.

But I ain't scared of the hood though their All the same to me.
I know what you mean. West Palm's ghettos don't look as menacing as Miami's. What hood in West Palm did you go to?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Sunnydale actually looks a lot worse than that. That streetview captured a slightly cleaned up area in the jects. Look at this old 90's video of a rapper from the Sunnydale projects in San Francisco. Pause the video at 0:03 and again at 2:52-2:55. If that looks "nice" to you, then you must be from some third world locale in Indonesia:

I think its ironic that people think that one ghetto is "worse" than others by the way it looks in terms of crime. You people do realize that in many big cities kids from the "nice" looking ghetto neighborhoods often go to war with kids from the more run-down looking neighborhoods. Thats how it was in San Francisco. Kids from single family homes in Lakeview have been shooting it out with project kids from Sunnydale for decades. Even though Lakeview looked much nicer than the projects in Sunnydale, Hunter's Point and Potrero Hill, the crime rate was significantly higher in Lakeview for many years in the 80's and 90's.
I didn't know Sunnydale and Lakeview went at it. Yeah, I saw the pics and vids of Lakeview, Lakeview is way nicer than Potrero, and Sunnydale.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know what you mean. West Palm's ghettos don't look as menacing as Miami's. What hood in West Palm did you go to?
my brothers all live in the lake worth boarder of west palm, but when my other brother took me on a tour we drove all the way north past the nice downtown.

its called tangerine? or tamberline??? i cant remember but it start with T, and that place look hood. it looked dead but also looked dangerous at the same time.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM

587 posts, read 1,410,963 times
Quote:
I didn't know Sunnydale and Lakeview went at it. Yeah, I saw the pics and vids of Lakeview, Lakeview is way nicer than Potrero, and Sunnydale.
Yes sir. I grew up in Lakeview, right off of Randolph Street in the 80's and 90's. My old screen name on this site was golden child but I lost my password and closed down the corresponding email account. But the beef between Lakeview and Sunnydale goes back decades. On the classic 93' IMP song "Frisco" local rapper C-Fresh said "you can't get along with that other crew/for example, Sunnydale and Lakeview." If you were spotted wearing San Diego Padres apparel (the "SD" in the Padres logo standing for "Sunnydale") around Lakeview back in the day, you would catch a severe beat down at the least. To this day, violence seesaws between the two neighborhoods. Lakeview is technically known as "Oceanview", by the way. Look at this article, which is less than two months old, that talks about recent battles between SD and LV:

Gang violence blamed for recent shootings | Joshua Sabatini | Local | San Francisco Examiner

To keep with the topic of the thread, Lakeview did look more blighted only a few years ago. The projects on Randolph have been repainted and abandoned and or boarded up apartment units have been refurbished. There are much less abandoned houses than there were back in the day. But really, Randolph and Broad streets were the only really blighted looking streets in Lakeview even back in the 80's and 90's. Most of the neighborhood looks pretty much the same as it did 20+ years ago.

Yes, Lakeview looks nicer than Sunnydale, Hunter's Point and Potrero Hill. But looks are deceiving when it comes to the hood. Out here where I live in Maryland, there are tons of Section 8 apartments that look pretty crappy but have much lower local crime rates than the pretty ghettos in California, Florida etc. It is a combination of the mentality of the people in the hood combined with a lack of opportunity. Although many of the pretty ghettos "look nice", that is just scraping the surface. If you actually lived in one of the pretty ghettos you would realize that it is not that different from the more run-down looking hoods. For example, in the pretty ghettos from SF to LA, there are no real businesses around for miles except corner stores, liquor stores and churches like any ghetto in America. It's not like the burbs where there is a Starbucks on every corner, you have many big retail chains like Safeway everywhere and there are only five liquor stores in a town with 100K people. Commercial businesses are scared to open stores in the hood which is the reason why Korean immigrants found a niche opening businesses in American ghettos. Ironically, the tension between Black people in the ghetto and Korean small business owners came to a violent apex in the capital of pretty ghettos which is South Central, Los Angeles in 1992.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 09-15-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It a neighborhood looks good is it still classified as the ghetto? I the modern implications of the word would eliminate some of the areas discussed in this thread as not-so-ghetto.
I agree. And beyond that it's time for the term "ghetto" to go and it can take the more PC "urban" along with it. Both are often pseudonyms for black neighborhoods (sometimes Hispanic), often regardless of the actual income level and crime rate.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
my brothers all live in the lake worth boarder of west palm, but when my other brother took me on a tour we drove all the way north past the nice downtown.

its called tangerine? or tamberline??? i cant remember but it start with T, and that place look hood. it looked dead but also looked dangerous at the same time.
Yeah, Tamarind's no joke.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Yes sir. I grew up in Lakeview, right off of Randolph Street in the 80's and 90's. My old screen name on this site was golden child but I lost my password and closed down the corresponding email account. But the beef between Lakeview and Sunnydale goes back decades. On the classic 93' IMP song "Frisco" local rapper C-Fresh said "you can't get along with that other crew/for example, Sunnydale and Lakeview." If you were spotted wearing San Diego Padres apparel (the "SD" in the Padres logo standing for "Sunnydale") around Lakeview back in the day, you would catch a severe beat down at the least. To this day, violence seesaws between the two neighborhoods. Lakeview is technically known as "Oceanview", by the way. Look at this article, which is less than two months old, that talks about recent battles between SD and LV:

Gang violence blamed for recent shootings | Joshua Sabatini | Local | San Francisco Examiner

To keep with the topic of the thread, Lakeview did look more blighted only a few years ago. The projects on Randolph have been repainted and abandoned and or boarded up apartment units have been refurbished. There are much less abandoned houses than there were back in the day. But really, Randolph and Broad streets were the only really blighted looking streets in Lakeview even back in the 80's and 90's. Most of the neighborhood looks pretty much the same as it did 20+ years ago.

Yes, Lakeview looks nicer than Sunnydale, Hunter's Point and Potrero Hill. But looks are deceiving when it comes to the hood. Out here where I live in Maryland, there are tons of Section 8 apartments that look pretty crappy but have much lower local crime rates than the pretty ghettos in California, Florida etc. It is a combination of the mentality of the people in the hood combined with a lack of opportunity. Although many of the pretty ghettos "look nice", that is just scraping the surface. If you actually lived in one of the pretty ghettos you would realize that it is not that different from the more run-down looking hoods. For example, in the pretty ghettos from SF to LA, there are no real businesses around for miles except corner stores, liquor stores and churches like any ghetto in America. It's not like the burbs where there is a Starbucks on every corner, you have many big retail chains like Safeway everywhere and there are only five liquor stores in a town with 100K people. Commercial businesses are scared to open stores in the hood which is the reason why Korean immigrants found a niche opening businesses in American ghettos. Ironically, the tension between Black people in the ghetto and Korean small business owners came to a violent apex in the capital of pretty ghettos which is South Central, Los Angeles in 1992.
So that's what the SD stands for? I wondered why they wore Padre hats in Frisco. I guess UNLV hat's were for Lakeview?

Last edited by polo89; 09-15-2012 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Yeah, Tamarind's no joke.
Hell yea that's the place. I figured it might mosty be Haitian since all over west palm and lake worth felt Haitian but that place reminded me of east new York in bk in a Florida version way lol.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,124 times
Quote:
Hell yea that's the place. I figured it might mosty be Haitian since all over west palm and lake worth felt Haitian but that place reminded me of east new York in bk in a Florida version way lol.
I lived in West Palm and have taken Tamarind from city place to Riviera beach.

It's kind of "caribbean ghetto" which is not very menacing imo...

riviera beach fl - Google Maps

^There are some projects out there that are just like liberty city.

Maybe dangerous, but not like an Apocalyptic place with spooky goons.

Certainly not a scary ghetto like East Wilmington, Chester or Camden...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City