Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Few single family homes in those pics..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM

425 posts, read 371,037 times
But the vibes are totally different. East Coast, Midwest, West Coast.

There are different characteristics at play in these specific cities.

I do not view NYC Philly or Chicago as cities the same as LA, nevermind actually being in them.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Philly and LA are nothing alike.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM

and to the OP, as far as cities go, Chicago is in the top 3 tier with NYC and LA.

SF and DC? huh??????????

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
But the vibes are totally different. East Coast, Midwest, West Coast.

There are different characteristics at play in these specific cities.

I do not view NYC Philly or Chicago as cities the same as LA, nevermind actually being in them.
WHat I'm saying is that LA has a big city vibe. NYC has the perfect vibe to it.

Of course LA isn't like NYC because it lacks so much density compared to it. NYC is a huge collection of concrete canyons. LA is more of concrete plateaus with a coulple of canyons mixed in. Go more further and you do see single family homes in areas like echo park, silverlake, atwater. But they dont have a suburb feel. Everything is tightly packed and mixed with apartments, industrial areas, and stores(like my section of the city). You lose the safe suburban feel and you get more of an urban feel.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

Of course LA isn't like NYC because it lacks so much density compared to it. NYC is a huge collection of concrete canyons. LA is more of concrete plateaus with a coulple of canyons mixed in. Go more further and you do see single family homes in areas like echo park, silverlake, atwater. But they dont have a suburb feel. Everything is tightly packed and mixed with apartments, industrial areas, and stores(like my section of the city). You lose the safe suburban feel and you get more of an urban feel.

But its still extremely sprawled out and nowhere near as compacted.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM

True, I'm referring more to central Los Angeles. Not the rest of the county.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Funny thing though. Maybe I was born in the wrong city lol.

I had a few dreams when I was a kid about being in this huge city. Much like NYC. The dream felt real, and the feeling stayed with me. I think that's why I feel at home when I see pics of NY. Feels familiar like I was there.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:

I see what you mean by that. For me personally I think Los Angeles overall gives a bigger city vibe than Chicago does. Chicago only feels larger than LA when you are comparing their downtown areas.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Here is what I think. LA is a grimy dense concrete jungle that just lacks height. Driving through korea town, parts of east hollywood, different hoods, nothing really feels suburban other than say compton and the hills. I see graffiti on the sides of buildings, old buildings with their shutters down showing more tags much like you'd see in NYC. Corner stores, wilshire blvd.

LA's glamor is just a side shown on TV, LA's grime is another story.

Play this music while driving through LA and you will get the same feel as if you were driving through Chicago or NY.

New York graffiti - YouTube

I feel you but, I would not play that for a chicago feel I would play this

Common - The Corner ft. The Last Poets - YouTube

Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push (Video) (Album Version) - YouTube

L.E.P. Bogus Boys - Chicago *****z (2010) - YouTube

Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues - YouTube

sorry i couldn't resist, anyway carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City