Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM

77 posts, read 202,516 times

Advertisements

We are in the middle of trying to figure out where to move our family of 4. We have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

We currently live in the Boston area and like it for the most part (except for the snow and cold).

Our options are varied. We are interested in hearing people's thoughts who have personal experiences living in more than one of the following areas: NYC, Bethesda MD, Seattle, and Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM

398 posts, read 751,727 times
well you aren't going to escape snow or cold in any of those areas... it will be milder in all 4 but ...eh...given Boston area has better educational resources than any of those and you have kids, personally I wouldn't move to any of those cities.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,262,781 times
maryland has the highest ranking school system in the country, bethesda ranking high itself i believe, and it's right next to dc which is a playground for learning.
the nyc area also has some of the best school districts in the entire country, as well as ivy league so education shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skraj011 View Post
We are in the middle of trying to figure out where to move our family of 4. We have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

We currently live in the Boston area and like it for the most part (except for the snow and cold).

Our options are varied. We are interested in hearing people's thoughts who have personal experiences living in more than one of the following areas: NYC, Bethesda MD, Seattle, and Portland.
I would recommend Bethesda or Seattle in this case. You have a family and while COL is very high in these two areas, the schools, crime, and neighborhoods are first class and the wages in these two metros are high. DC area is actually higher than Boston on income but also depends on what field you work in, Seattle generally has the exact same income and wage levels as Boston but the weather is much milder in both than compared to Boston.

If you desire to live in New York, I recommend suburbs in Westchester just north of the city. Its expensive but would give you a better chance to adjust from Boston than the actual city itself, specifically with very young children at ages 2 and 5. If you visit the city and look around and later find a place you can live in and manage a family then do it, the city is great but if the speed is to much then definitely look north to Westchester for the suburbs IMO

Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Seattle most definitely. Less headache from east coast rat race and excellent quality of life. You can probably live in nearby Bellevue for a more relaxed family life and commute to the city for everything else.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
If you like Boston except for the snow and cold, Bethesda/DC would be a good option for you as it's similar in lifestyle with much milder winters.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM

77 posts, read 202,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you like Boston except for the snow and cold, Bethesda/DC would be a good option for you as it's similar in lifestyle with much milder winters.
thanks Kyle. What do you mean by "similar in lifestyle?"

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Seattle most definitely. Less headache from east coast rat race and excellent quality of life. You can probably live in nearby Bellevue for a more relaxed family life and commute to the city for everything else.
Seattle's traffic is no easy breeze. Boston also has a much better transit system so commuting can be a lot easier depending on where you live.

If you are trying to escape the cold and snow, NYC and Bethesda will not be big changes. Both areas are not even that much warmer than the Boston area is. Seattle and Portland will both offer a more mild winter and a lot less snow. If you want to stay on the east coast and have a much milder winter than Boston, you need to head farther south.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM

398 posts, read 751,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Seattle's traffic is no easy breeze. Boston also has a much better transit system so commuting can be a lot easier depending on where you live.

If you are trying to escape the cold and snow, NYC and Bethesda will not be big changes. Both areas are not even that much warmer than the Boston area is. Seattle and Portland will both offer a more mild winter and a lot less snow. If you want to stay on the east coast and have a much milder winter than Boston, you need to head farther south.
That is what I was saying...

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

78 posts, read 154,066 times
Default I have experiance in some of these cities

I've lived in Bethesda. The traffic is horendous and the people aren't so friendly or easy to get to know. I loved Germantown though, but again getting anywhere from there is a traffic nightmare. Winters aren't as harsh as Boston or NYC.
My in-laws live in NYC and it's nice but again traffic and it's really bitterly cold in the winter. Plus, it's never quiet. ever.
AS for Seattle, it's where I would go. I visited once, yes I know you wanted people who lived there but hear me out. I have several friends out there and it's amazingly beautiful and the pace is very laid back. We have checked into homes out there. We hope to get assigned there some day or retire in the area. So there is a large spectrum of housing for any budget. If you love outdoor life and a slower pace I would go there.
I know this post is months old. Did you choose already? If I might ask, why are you moving and how come your choices are so vaired. I'm just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City