Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 04:29 PM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Ottawa, Columbus, Austin and any other capital you name don't have the influence or importance of DC to the general public, not even close. That's the point. You and the least common denominator crowd on here are boring.
For real.

And I'd argue that Austin is a solid 3 in their state and Columbus could be 1, 2 or 3. And it's not like DC is a tiny little capitol. It's GDP is pretty impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 09:17 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Using "Nations capital" as a qualifier is a huge tell that D.C. isn't decisively the choice here.
Not exactly sure what you mean here?

I can see Boston having a more innovative private sector, better universities and a healthier city core. But, i have a hard time putting Boston above DC in terms of importance. Statistically, DC is a bigger MSA and CSA with a bigger GDP. It also has a higher national profile being the capital. Turn on CNN or even SNL and they will be talking about things going on in DC ten times more than anything going on in Boston. It's also home to powerful global orgs like the IMF, World Banks.

Boston certainly punches above it weight in the R&D. But DC is where the big funders of researcher are based : NSF, Darpa, NIH, DoE. So it's not like DC is unimportant to scientific research.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:39 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,234,095 times
its not in the northeast but my vote goes to Toad Suck Arkansas!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MevywY3bASQbcmhs9

Old 10-02-2023, 11:34 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I picking up on a lot of anti-federal government vibes here.

I know that being the nation's capital conjures up a lot of resentment these days, but there's no question that the seat of government for the US is extremely consequential, regardless of whether anyone wants to acknowledge that.

And although I certainly prefer Boston over DC, it absolutely does not compete importance-wise with DC.
I note that the Washington tourism people are now running ads that have the tagline "You know Washington. Now experience DC."

This jibes with my contention/observation that Washington is actually two cities. One is an actual city (that's DC). That city gets drowned under the self-importance of the National Capital (Washington).

The best example of the latter came in the form of an ad I once saw on the Metro for the Riggs Bank. (DC's largest bank imploded in a money-laundering scandal a little more than a decade ago. Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank scooped up its ashes.)

The ad had a picture of the White House and this legend:

"The most important bank in the most important city in the world thinks you're important too."

C'mon now. The most important city in the world? It's merely the seat of government of the most powerful nation on the planet, at least for now. The center of everything else in the country is New York, save for entertainment, which is LA; technology, which is San Francisco; agribusiness, which is distributed among Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha and KC; and biomedicine, which is Boston, with Philadelphia as an annex.

The title of "most important city in the world" IMO belongs to New York, but London, Paris and Tokyo could all be contenders. So might Beijing, Shanghai or Hong Kong someday, but some changes in China's government would have to take place first.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:39 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is definitely a gap between DC and Boston, more so than Boston to Philadelphia.

But in short, the answer is DC.

OT, but do people realize when they resurrect 11 year old threads? Like how do they even find this thread?
Tbf DC isnt really the northeast.

But I also dont think theres a bigger gap between DC and Boston than DC Philly in terms of importance

Its like

NYC
DC
Boston
Philly

I dont actually know anything important and unique tp Philly in the present day

Old 10-02-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I personally think DC is more important than any city. But here’s a few reasons why based off of things ive heard on here/in public.

1. Its an alpha city while DC is a beta city.
2. Boston’s life science and biopharma industries are cutting edge and almost everyone depends on what happens in the GBA regarding innovation within these industries. I.e, For all three COVID vaccines, they were either developed, manufactured or innovated in the Boston Area in some way. Pfizer, JJ, and Moderna.
3. Education and Healthcare industries. Healthcare is second to none in Boston and has the best agglomeration of specialized healthcare in the country, perhaps world. Due to being strong in Life Science/Pharma and Education.

That's all i can think of lol but I dont think those three points are enough to put Boston ahead of DC, because DC could blow up Boston anytime they wanted to figuratively or perhaps, literally.
Boston also matches DC on philanthropic scene and locally produces more impactful and prominent politicians (Mitt Romney, the Bush Family, Elizabeth Warren John Kerry maybe even Ayanna Presesley and former presidential candidate Deval Patrick). Not to mention its got a big textile industry footprint (Converse, Reebok, New Balance, Saucony, Timberland)and wealth management scene (Fidelity, Liberty Mutual, State Street etc)

I still think DC is more important for obvious reasons.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:46 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean here?

I can see Boston having a more innovative private sector, better universities and a healthier city core. But, i have a hard time putting Boston above DC in terms of importance. Statistically, DC is a bigger MSA and CSA with a bigger GDP. It also has a higher national profile being the capital. Turn on CNN or even SNL and they will be talking about things going on in DC ten times more than anything going on in Boston. It's also home to powerful global orgs like the IMF, World Banks.

Boston certainly punches above it weight in the R&D. But DC is where the big funders of researcher are based : NSF, Darpa, NIH, DoE. So it's not like DC is unimportant to scientific research.
I'm not even saying saying that D.C. isn't the winner here.

I'm saying invoking capital status doesn't make for a very persuasive argument.

Think about some of the other big world capital cities. Do you see them reminding people that they are the capital as often as DC?

Old 10-02-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'm not even saying saying that D.C. isn't the winner here.

I'm saying invoking capital status doesn't make for a very persuasive argument.

Think about some of the other big world capital cities. Do you see them reminding people that they are the capital as often as DC?
Honestly DC is more important due to the miltiary bases, pentagon (technicaly not in DC) and personnel. The capitol is less impactful and could be anywhere including Trenton or Philly. We can up and move the capitol tomorrow itd make no impact outside of commutes for a few people. Wouldnt even have to physcially move or rebuild it- could just occupy some vacant office buildings in NYC and replicate the inaction within 3 business days....just like the United Nations.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:14 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
I would say Washington DC is the #2 city in the Northeast (technically its not Northeast). Second largest GDP in the Northeast Corridor and the capitol of the US. Boston is #2 or 3 defpending on how you define the Northeast. Philly is 3 or 4.

I really don't understand why being the capitol is a knock against DC. Is it envy?

Old 10-02-2023, 01:26 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Honestly DC is more important due to the miltiary bases, pentagon (technicaly not in DC) and personnel. The capitol is less impactful and could be anywhere including Trenton or Philly. We can up and move the capitol tomorrow itd make no impact outside of commutes for a few people. Wouldnt even have to physcially move or rebuild it- could just occupy some vacant office buildings in NYC and replicate the inaction within 3 business days....just like the United Nations.
Doesn’t like 25% of the DC workforce work for the Feds, and another huge fraction work for direct contractors?
Not to mention every news agency from BBC to NBC to Al Jazzera would immediately relocate all their operations to New York.

All the Embassies would move, the hotel business in DC would crash.

The US government isn’t 547 people, Congress, the VP and President. Each congressperson has dozens of staff, and the President has 100s (politically, administratively many many many more)?

The EU actually does move operations every summer to Strasbourg and it’s an actual **** show and that’s not the whole administrative state just the legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City