Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Seattle is not cold in the winter. I don't consider 30 degrees cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 05:56 PM

13 posts, read 17,314 times
Seattle's winters are mild. Often I can get by without a coat on a winter day. Denver is cold.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seattle is not cold in the winter. I don't consider 30 degrees cold
30 degrees would be a very cold day in Seattle. Most winter days would be mid to upper 40's with upper 30's at night. Definitely not very cold.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,935 times
Seattle winters are cake. I often hear Seattleites complaining about the winter while wearing shorts and a spring jacket. It all depends on your lifestyle. Sure, if 47 degrees is the high temp for the day in each city in the middle of the day I can imagine Denver feeling warmer for those 10 minutes. For me, I bike to work year round and would prefer to bike to work when it's 45 and drizzling in the morning versus 15 and sunny no matter what the high temp ends up being for the day. Seattle's difference between the low and high in the winter is incredibly minimal. Although Seattle and Denver both attract incredibly active and outdoorsy people, I think it's much easier to be outside in Seattle all year round and at any time of day. I grew up in Philly and Chicago and I'll take Seattle's winter weather over any month in those cities.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM

591 posts, read 782,044 times
The reason Seattle doesn't get as cold in the winter is because large bodies of water don't change temperatures as drastically as the ground. this is why in the summer the temps near the water are cooler and in the winter the temps near the water are warmer compared to places further inland.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I grew up in Illinois. I was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska for three years. NEVER, while in AK did I long for an IL winter. Nor was I thankful for an IL winter when I came back to IL. Cold is cold. People talk about a wet cold vs a dry cold. I've been smacked in the face by both. Neither is pleasant.

If I'm in Seattle, I couldn't care less how cold it is in Denver, the converse is also true.
I agree with 000.0% of what you just said. As a human being, I appreciate that star that gives us love, the sun.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:57 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Depends on what you like Seattle has two months out of the year with avg highs of 46 and lows of 36 and thats winter for Seattle then Seattle is back into the 50s. Seattle has a short winter, a long spring, and a late summer. . Denver has five months of freezing weather on average out of the year. And three months of average highs in the mid 40s. I would have to say Denver seems colder alot longer. Personaly I would rather live in Seattle with the milder temperature I dont own any winter cloths . And I hate the couple a days a year I have to scrape ice of my car in Seattle. If I ever want snow Seattle is only 30 mins from the mountains anyway.
How often do you yearn for that snow?

Old 02-20-2015, 02:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
The reason Seattle doesn't get as cold in the winter is because large bodies of water don't change temperatures as drastically as the ground. this is why in the summer the temps near the water are cooler and in the winter the temps near the water are warmer compared to places further inland.
I wonder why Olympia is so much colder than Seattle?

Old 11-18-2016, 03:55 PM

61 posts, read 210,604 times
So many complainers. Seattle gets rain so you get lush rainforests and air that smells like fairy dust. You rarely need more than a hoodie in Seattle most of the year.

Denver has sunny winters, but warmer summers and more dust. The snow is better, powder is everything if you're a winter sport guy. Nothing like kicking back outside with friends and a cold one on a nippy but sunny winter day. So close to so many great mountains. Denver has a great "western" history to boot. Beer, great beer. I love CO!

Seattle is the most beautiful city in the world when the weather is good. Water, volcanoes, glaciers, lush, lush forests. Wineries... GREAT wine. Drive over the Cascades and you're in sunnier winters. Looking at plants makes you happy. Trails in and near city can't be touched in the world. I love WA.

Both are great. Both are dynamic, culturally important cities filling up with smart, creative people.

Choosing where to live based on comparing ONE aspect is patently foolish, in my opinion.

Be happy wherever you are. Hating on ***** only makes you unhappier.

Last edited by Bossanovawitcha; 11-18-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM

61 posts, read 210,604 times
for me personally, I prefer Seattle. However, I grew up in the Southwest and the monochrome xeroscape - and sun that is often too bright for me - makes me appreciate the Northwest so, so much.

Don't forget being 3 hours from Vancouver, Victoria, and Portland.

I'd live in Denver in a heartbeat. I have lived in Flagstaff, AZ before and winters are similar and a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City