Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

How do these two cities compare in terms of severe weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Both have pretty rough weather. I think SD may get fewer tornadoes but they still get their share. To my knowledge Lincoln has never been hit directly w/ a tornado but they've come pretty close. Rapid City probably has more inclement winter weather.

What specifically are you asking about in terms of severe weather? Like thunderstorms and tornadoes or anything?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Both have pretty rough weather. I think SD may get fewer tornadoes but they still get their share. To my knowledge Lincoln has never been hit directly w/ a tornado but they've come pretty close. Rapid City probably has more inclement winter weather.

What specifically are you asking about in terms of severe weather? Like thunderstorms and tornadoes or anything?
Thanks for the info. I'm also looking at temperatures, humidity, and duration of sub-zero and hot/humid spells.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Well I lived in Rapid for 18 years so I'll give you my opinion. When you are inquiring about the weather in Rapid, looking at averages doesn't really give you that well of an idea. The elevation and location relative to the hills really cause strange weather. For example, last week we had highs of twenties, today we had a high of 50 and we are supposed to get six inches of snow Friday. My experience is that the farther east you go on the planes, the more predictable the weather.

Lincoln will most likely be more humid year round. Rapid City does get hot, but it's a dry heat and still not as bad as Lincoln. The summers and winters would probably more manageable in Rapid. Lincoln also gets about twice as much rain yearly. Lincoln also probably gets more tornadoes. I can't ever remember having one in city limits, but I'm sure there may have been a couple.

To sum it up, Rapid will have more extremes and Lincoln will be more consistently hot/cold.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Well I lived in Rapid for 18 years so I'll give you my opinion. When you are inquiring about the weather in Rapid, looking at averages doesn't really give you that well of an idea. The elevation and location relative to the hills really cause strange weather. For example, last week we had highs of twenties, today we had a high of 50 and we are supposed to get six inches of snow Friday. My experience is that the farther east you go on the planes, the more predictable the weather.

Lincoln will most likely be more humid year round. Rapid City does get hot, but it's a dry heat and still not as bad as Lincoln. The summers and winters would probably more manageable in Rapid. Lincoln also gets about twice as much rain yearly. Lincoln also probably gets more tornadoes. I can't ever remember having one in city limits, but I'm sure there may have been a couple.

To sum it up, Rapid will have more extremes and Lincoln will be more consistently hot/cold.
Ah, thank you. Are Rapid's winters as cold and miserable as Lincoln's?

Sounds like Rapid City's weather is more tolerable/comfortable overall.

Also - on an unrelated note, what is the water table like in the outskirts of Rapid City? How deep do you need to go to find water? Do trees grow naturally or do they need irrigating? How is RC for gardening compared to Lincoln?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Idk if I'd say Rapid's winters are more tolerable per say. It will get more cold and miserable from time to time, but it will also warm up a lot more too, which I personally prefer rather than semi-cold temps constantly.

I honestly really can't help too much on the water table and gardening. I will say that Rapid has very diverse geography: part of the city is in the plains where all the trees have been planted for the city and part of it is in the black hills which is full of natural pine trees. Lincoln does get quite a bit more rain though.

If you ask about the water table and gardening in the Rapid City sub-forum, you could probably find those answers though.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Rapid City weather is more tolerable year round than Lincoln. We get thunderstorms but they are nothing like the severe weather in the Lincoln area. It's hot in the summer, but not humid, and it cools down at night. Winter can get cold and snowy, but there are also days when it gets pretty warm and the snow melts. There is a decent amount of sunshine, too. We don't have the weeks on end of gray skies and snow on the ground for months.

IMO, Rapid City beats Lincoln in pretty much every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City