Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's it more like?
Philadelphia 37 68.52%
Washington DC 7 12.96%
I'm saying neither and sticking to it 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

I like DC and Philly to be honest. Philly does remind me of Baltimore tho (minus the Puerto Ricans) @ Nephi..lol. Baltimore has more Dominicans and Mexicans that anything else.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore doesn't have an identity?? LOL All 3 cities have one, but I will admit, DC's isn't as wide spread as either. Bajan just acknowledge the fact that Baltimore club music is big in in Philly, and NJ and overseas; I heard it myself when I was in Philly. Baltimore wins that round.

That was more so about DC than Baltimore, in all fairness I would say that Baltimore has some sort of an identity. When I think of baltimore I think of The Wire, and boarded up row homes, so that's gotta count for something. I can tell you one thing, it sure as hell aint club music. DC I think of the white house, and..the white house.

I don't know how Baltimore copies Philly. Lingo/slang is regional no matter where you go, so hopefully you can elaborate on that--maybe you can't.
Please refer back to the last couple of pages of this thread, you were there. If at that point you're still confused. No further discussion is needed, at least not from me.

Land area and population has little to do with anything. San Fransico, Boston, Miami, put together equals Philly in land area, but is Philly more important than them...Nope! Atlanta is the same size, but only 1/3 of the population, Atlanta is definitely more influential.

That so was SO not the point, or even something I focused on. I mentioned as a testament to how they differ..has nothing to do with being more important. So..you kinda lost me there. No argument here.

You may want to give a brief description of Manayunk, Roxborough, and Chestnut Hill. I've personally never heard of them.
You probably wouldnt, as apparently you go straight to North Philly and stay there when you claim to come to Philly. However I got my answer, there is apparently no answer for these areas in baltimore.
You and I both know I know baltimore, at least better than you know Philly apparently.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I like DC and Philly to be honest. Philly does remind me of Baltimore tho (minus the Puerto Ricans) @ Nephi..lol. Baltimore has more Dominicans and Mexicans that anything else.
Just minus the Puerto Ricans? Where do the Asians hide in Baltimore? Hell, where is the Chinatown in baltimore? The AA culture is just as strong as the Italian culture in Philly, Baltimore...?? So again..are we back to row homes and them being post industrial cities?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Same with DC. Aside from Go-Go, R&B is the main genre. DC has Ginuwine, J. Holiday, Marvin Gaye back in the day, Mya was from Laurel, Raheem DeVaughn etc.
I'd say Philly is just as much an R&B city as it is Hip Hop. Jill, Jazmine Sulivan,Jaguar wright, Vivian Green, Musiq, Floetry, Bilial,Kindred The Family Soul, Boys II men etc..

And thats not even going old school 'Sound of Philadelphia' days. The Stylistics, The Delfonics and The Intruders, Teddy Pendergrass, Patti Labelle, Phyllis hyman etc..

There's even some great indie pop artist out of Philly that I like, two more 'mainstream' artist would be Res or Santigold.

When it comes to music period, Philly is one of the heavy weights.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I disagree with this. Saying everyone in this city can dress and saying everyone in that city can't dress makes you sound like a hater.
Never said that

Quote:
DC is a very fashionable city.
No, it's not.

Quote:
DC has the best shopping options in the Mid-Atlantic below the Mason Dixon Line.
So that means better than Wilmington, Baltimore and Richmond? Whoa.

Quote:
The Wisconsin Ave strip from Georgetown to Bethesda has everything from Neiman Marcus to Gucci to two Ralph Lauren flagship stores.
Labels have nothing to do with style.

Quote:
But every big city has its country ghetto trends.
DC and Baltimore have their "country ghetto trends." Philly and NYC just have ghetto trends.

Quote:
But DC is stylish. From the ghetto kids to the rich White people, there are many stylish individuals. DC is the nation's capital for God's sake. People know how to dress out there.
Eh, no. Transplants like yours truly bring fashion and style to DC. DC "locals" do not have any. At all. Wearing a big North Face jacket with 14 different straps on it is not "style." It looks like you're wearing a big backpack.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
As far as all of the talks of stylish rappers, Wale is often cited as one of the best dressed rappers in the game currently.
Wow. I never thought I would see the words "Wale" and "well dressed" closer than 40 words apart in a paragraph.

I guess you could consider this "well dressed" if you're still attending school dances at Oxon Hill High School.

http://youheardthatnew.com/wp-conten...2/12/wale1.jpg
http://everythinggl.com/wp-content/u...-682x10241.jpg
http://www.themaskedgorilla.com/wp-c...12/11/wale.jpg

Now if you're interested in dressing like an adult with the grown man hustler flow (and hat titled to the side)...

http://uptownflavor.com/wp-content/u...8/10/musiq.jpg
http://iblog126.com/wp-content/uploa...is-520x780.jpg
http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/wp...lal-artist.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eO5SQ-L5DZ...ck-thought.jpg
http://cdn.concreteloop.com/wp-conte...enn2606390.jpg

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I agree with this. However, Baltimore is more an R&B city: Dru Hill, Toni Braxton, Mario
LOL. When have you ever heard of anyone moving to DC or Baltimore because of a "soul movement?"

Quote:
Given their ties to new soul singer Glenn Lewis and their adopted hometown of Philadelphia (the stomping grounds of Jill Scott, Musiq and "Jazzy" Jeff Townes' A Touch of Jazz label, which will release Floetic through DreamWorks), Floetry are likely to be judged by the company they're keeping. Ambrosius said that Philly's past and present musical contributions drew them to the City of Brotherly Love.
Floetry Bring London Vibe To Philly Soul Movement - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com

Floetry (HQ) - Getting Late - YouTube

That's that Philly style.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM

We have people from around the world trying to tap into Philadelphia style.

Philly 360° Goes Behind the Scenes of Questlove's Philly-Paris Lockdown Event at PIFA - YouTube

When is that DC/Baltimore-Paris collabo going to happen?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times
Quote:
LOL. When have you ever heard of anyone moving to DC or Baltimore because of a "soul movement?"
I guess Marvin Gaye, Donald Byrd & the Blackbyrds and William DeVaughn never existed.

I agree that today, DC's soul music is a bit lacking. But c'mon now. DC helped write the Bible when it comes to R&B music.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Never said that

No, it's not.

So that means better than Wilmington, Baltimore and Richmond? Whoa.

Labels have nothing to do with style.

DC and Baltimore have their "country ghetto trends." Philly and NYC just have ghetto trends.

Eh, no. Transplants like yours truly bring fashion and style to DC. DC "locals" do not have any. At all. Wearing a big North Face jacket with 14 different straps on it is not "style." It looks like you're wearing a big backpack.
So I guess judging an entire cosmopolitan city's style based on what the most ratchet Section 8 ghetto natives wear is a measure of the whole city's style. People can be country from anywhere. New Yorkers wearing cheap corner store leathers with the box swirls and huge baggy Akademiks jeans from 2003 is just country. I have seen ghetto people in Brooklyn still wearing Phat Farm and Mecca. Philadelphians wearing Timbs in the dog days of summer is just plain country.

I also suppose that all of those people who get paid for a living to talk about fashion all day are also dead wrong about DC because some random dude on C-D with a bruised ego said so.

DC may not be New York. But DC is fashionable in its own right whether you admit it or not. Until you pull up legitimate articles saying everyone in DC dresses like they are from Alabama, then you have no real argument. Baltimore often makes the worst dressed cities list for a reason.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...ourists-travel

Saying the entire city of DC can't dress makes you a hater, buddy. Sorry. Good ol' fashion East Coast out-of-towner hate. DC is not a fashion capital either, but saying Philly dresses better is a heavily biased subjective lie. And I'm not even originally from DC or Philly or even the East Coast, I'm from California. So you are getting an unbiased perspective from me.

And not everyone thinks Philly is some fashion capital either, because its NOT. That title in America goes to NYC and NYC alone. Philly has many well-dressed people. But it is no fashion mecca like you are trying to imply.

Phila. on Travel+Leisure worst-dressed list - Philadelphia Business Journal

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 01-18-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City