Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's it more like?
Philadelphia 37 68.52%
Washington DC 7 12.96%
I'm saying neither and sticking to it 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM

266 posts, read 410,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So question...

What city ushered in the throw back jersey?

What city made white tees popular in the late 90s/00s?

-Beanie Sigel, "Stop, Chill, Relax," The Truth (2000)

What city made the Sunni beard popular?

What city is most famous for popularizing not only the Neo-Soul sound, but also the look?
Yeah Philly has started a lot of trends that went national. Unfortunatly whenever it's Philly that starts something it seems to be overlooked by the rest of the country and everyone just thinks it was started in New York. I remember people wearing the big white tee's in Philly way back in like '98 and then it really got popular everywhere else in the early 2000's. Same with throwbacks. The big beard is obviously a Philly thing. I sometimes hear people call a big beard "the Rick Ross", I think are you serious? The big beard has been was a staple in Philly wayyyy before Rick Ross came around. As far as hip hop fashion/culture after NYC I'd say Philly is second in terms of trends but no one would know. I always thought Philly seemed to be ahead when it came to hip hop fashions. For example whatever guys in Philly were wearing in 05 that's what would be popular in hip hop fashions among the rest of the country in 08.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
When did this thread become a "why Philly is better than every city below the Mason Dixon line" discussion?

And no, DC and Baltimore are not truly the South. DC and Baltimore are considered to be the lower half of the East Coast. Anyone who is really from the South in places like Georgia, the Carolinas, Florida, Louisiana and Texas will tell you that DC and Baltimore are not the South. Only people above the Mason Dixon Line consider Baltimore and DC to be Southern. Baltimore and DC are only technically Southern. DC is the unique hybrid Mid-Atlantic East Coast city. Baltimore, Philly, NYC and Boston all have their similarities. DC is the one that is the most different on the East Coast. When I think of Black culture Down South, I think of guys who care more about their cars than the way they dress. Alotta folks don't even drive in DC, sort of like NYC and Philly. Having a car is necessary in much of the sprawling South. Wearing fake Jordans and baggier clothes is still acceptable among young Blacks in many corners of the South. In DC, that is completely unacceptable. Big rims and everyone's car is spotless regardless if it is a ten year old Lexus. This may not describe the most sophisticated area in Atlanta, but it describes many Down South locales.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Do people still wear Mecca in Philly?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Fugazi is pretty well known. Minor Threat. Bad Brains. Henry Rollins is originally from DC.

Philly's not a slouch in the department but less national recognition.
What are you serious? Philly is way more internationally known when it comes to music. Someone in Hollywood should know that. It's like saying Los Angeles is more historic than Boston. Rofl

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
I think he's just talking about punk rock.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Well as history shows, they cant. Neither DC or Baltimore has ever made such an impact. Thats what I mean when I say DC (or baltimore for that matter) doesn't really have an identity. I know that there's some sort of local culture of course. But nobody outside of that area knows about it or references it mainstream or otherwise. And baltimore just tries to copy Philly overall, period. I know myself some friends from baltimore who admittedly go up to Philly and NY to see whats up, from the lingo/slang to what clothes/trends are in. Hell I even got a friend who moved from baltimore to Philly last year around the same time I moved back to NY. And he claims he's "So Philly" now.
Actually both cities in one way or another has made a impact in some or form be it positive or negative I know for a fact most of the drugs that get pumped into Philly come straight from Baltimore. As far as D.C., well I've already made my point with that in my earlier post.

Quote:
But the main question at hand, and I battle even Philly people on CD about this..outside of row homes, being post-industrial blue collar cities. Philly and baltimore are different animals, thank god. In my experience (and I lived Philly for 7 years, and I go to baltimore often and have plenty of friends down there) The vibe and culture day to day is just different (unless you count baltimore copying Philly being "similar".) I mentioned this before, but there's just a flavor and energy that neither DC or Baltimore have. Never mind that Philly swallows them in size and population or neither of them having an answer for CC. But for baltimore specifically, where are the mom and pop shops and locally owned boutique shops, coffee shops, the store fronts that are so common in NY and Philly? Where is Baltimore's Manayunk? Roxborough? Chestnut Hill? Im sure KP could probably step in on that one. Im not as familiar with DC, but Im open to learn more about the comparable areas to those listed as well.
Baltimore does have boutique and mom n pop shops it really depends on where you go to. Federal Hill, Fells Point, Locust Point, Mt. Vernon, and Canton have them but if you are talking about ghetto Baltimore like the east and west sides then the only mom and pop store you are going to see is liquor stores, bodegas, and carryouts. D.C. on the other hand has plenty of both but I will admit they didn't really pop up until 2005.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Never said that

No, it's not.

Yes it is...

So that means better than Wilmington, Baltimore and Richmond? Whoa.

That's a pretty widespread area and D.C. beats Philly in the category as well

Labels have nothing to do with style.

Yes it does

DC and Baltimore have their "country ghetto trends." Philly and NYC just have ghetto trends.

As of 2013 there is nothing country about DC or Bmore

Eh, no. Transplants like yours truly bring fashion and style to DC. DC "locals" do not have any. At all. Wearing a big North Face jacket with 14 different straps on it is not "style." It looks like you're wearing a big backpack.

D.C. has more swag then Philly get over it

Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not. Now I've tried to stay out of this. But lets not get crazy. I can understand Baltimore not being known for having style though. They don't have the shopping options Philly has. Or DC for that matter. Now I know you don't want baltimore to be alone in this, but again, lets not get crazy.
Absolutely yes. Philly dresses bummy and tries to copy New York City, same with Baltimore and Boston.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Actually both cities in one way or another has made a impact in some or form be it positive or negative I know for a fact most of the drugs that get pumped into Philly come straight from Baltimore.
Wilmington, DE is also another major nexus for drug trafficking in the U.S. because of its location, port, and access to I-95. The reasons are basically the same for Baltimore (although it's also larger).

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Absolutely yes. Philly dresses bummy and tries to copy New York City, same with Baltimore and Boston.
I tried to stay out of this as well as I have family in Philly but this argument is hilarious. Some philly folks are on there game but on a regular day dress just how the city looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City