Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's it more like?
Philadelphia 37 68.52%
Washington DC 7 12.96%
I'm saying neither and sticking to it 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Central High School notable alums include Noam Chomsky, Louis Kahn, Daniel Guggenheim, Alaine Locke, Bill Cosby, Jeremiah Wright, Ted Kaufman, and Ed Weinberger among others. Second oldest public high school in the nation. Produced federal judges. Governors. Mayors. Great thinkers and intellectuals. Rhodes Scholars.

Baltimore Polytechnic notable alums include Kingston Z. Lee (current basketball fan for Drexel). LOL.

I just had to get that dig in. I always have to bring this up when messing with people from Baltimore (I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid).

Go Lancers!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. Late 90s Philly. I almost forgot about the rolled up jean shorts, Timbs, white tees, and plaid shirts.

ram squad - ballers (Official Video) - YouTube
Haha you took me back with that one. I miss late 90s/early 00s Philly hip hop (and other northeastern hip hop in general). You already know Philly has more character/identity and also been more innovative than the two other cities that this thread pertains to.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Well as history shows, they cant. Neither DC or Baltimore has ever made such an impact. Thats what I mean when I say DC (or baltimore for that matter) doesn't really have an identity. I know that there's some sort of local culture of course. But nobody outside of that area knows about it or references it mainstream or otherwise. And baltimore just tries to copy Philly overall, period. I know myself some friends from baltimore who admittedly go up to Philly and NY to see whats up, from the lingo/slang to what clothes/trends are in. Hell I even got a friend who moved from baltimore to Philly last year around the same time I moved back to NY. And he claims he's "So Philly" now.

But the main question at hand, and I battle even Philly people on CD about this..outside of row homes, being post-industrial blue collar cities. Philly and baltimore are different animals, thank god. In my experience (and I lived Philly for 7 years, and I go to baltimore often and have plenty of friends down there) The vibe and culture day to day is just different (unless you count baltimore copying Philly being "similar".) I mentioned this before, but there's just a flavor and energy that neither DC or Baltimore have. Never mind that Philly swallows them in size and population or neither of them having an answer for CC. But for baltimore specifically, where are the mom and pop shops and locally owned boutique shops, coffee shops, the store fronts that are so common in NY and Philly? Where is Baltimore's Manayunk? Roxborough? Chestnut Hill? Im sure KP could probably step in on that one. Im not as familiar with DC, but Im open to learn more about the comparable areas to those listed as well.
Well said and 100% true. Besides having a very few similarities such as rowhomes, Philadelphia is very different from Baltimore.

Last edited by nephi215; 01-17-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
I feel like I've learned more reading this thread than any other on CD.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
I've never felt so White...

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Well as history shows, they cant. Neither DC or Baltimore has ever made such an impact. Thats what I mean when I say DC (or baltimore for that matter) doesn't really have an identity. I know that there's some sort of local culture of course. But nobody outside of that area knows about it or references it mainstream or otherwise. And baltimore just tries to copy Philly overall, period. I know myself some friends from baltimore who admittedly go up to Philly and NY to see whats up, from the lingo/slang to what clothes/trends are in. Hell I even got a friend who moved from baltimore to Philly last year around the same time I moved back to NY. And he claims he's "So Philly" now.

But the main question at hand, and I battle even Philly people on CD about this..outside of row homes, being post-industrial blue collar cities. Philly and baltimore are different animals, thank god. In my experience (and I lived Philly for 7 years, and I go to baltimore often and have plenty of friends down there) The vibe and culture day to day is just different (unless you count baltimore copying Philly being "similar".) I mentioned this before, but there's just a flavor and energy that neither DC or Baltimore have. Never mind that Philly swallows them in size and population or neither of them having an answer for CC. But for baltimore specifically, where are the mom and pop shops and locally owned boutique shops, coffee shops, the store fronts that are so common in NY and Philly? Where is Baltimore's Manayunk? Roxborough? Chestnut Hill? Im sure KP could probably step in on that one. Im not as familiar with DC, but Im open to learn more about the comparable areas to those listed as well.
Baltimore doesn't have an identity?? LOL All 3 cities have one, but I will admit, DC's isn't as wide spread as either. Bajan just acknowledge the fact that Baltimore club music is big in in Philly, and NJ and overseas; I heard it myself when I was in Philly. Baltimore wins that round.

I don't know how Baltimore copies Philly. Lingo/slang is regional no matter where you go, so hopefully you can elaborate on that--maybe you can't.

Land area and population has little to do with anything. San Fransico, Boston, Miami, put together equals Philly in land area, but is Philly more important than them...Nope! Atlanta is the same size, but only 1/3 of the population, Atlanta is definitely more influential.

You may want to give a brief description of Manayunk, Roxborough, and Chestnut Hill. I've personally never heard of them.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore doesn't have an identity?? LOL All 3 cities have one, but I will admit, DC's isn't as wide spread as either. Bajan just acknowledge the fact that Baltimore club music is big in in Philly, and NJ and overseas; I heard it myself when I was in Philly. Baltimore wins that round.
No... haha. It's not. I have never once heard Baltimore Club Music in Philadelphia. Stop kidding yourself.

Quote:
You may want to give a brief description of Manayunk, Roxborough, and Chestnut Hill. I've personally never heard of them.
You 'claim' you have been to Philadelphia to hear the Baltimore Club music being played there, but have never heard of these neighborhoods? Okay Manayunk on it's own has better nightlife than all of Baltimore... and I'm being generous on Baltimore's behalf.

Even if you have heard Baltimore Club music, you honestly think that mindless, talentless computer generated crap they call music can stack up against the talent of the Roots, Jedi Mind Tricks, Jill Scott and others? Philadelphia's music scene has and always will be top notch.

For the record, the club scene in Philadelphia is all House music.

You know nothing about Philadelphia, that is evident in this post.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 01-17-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
On the daily grind, you will see a lot of guys in Philadelphia with the hoodies, the Dickies, and the bright-colored polos. But when it's time to go out and mingle, a lot of those same street guys will really look fly. Contrast that with DC where it's perfectly acceptable for "locals" to go out to Jasper's (or wherever they go) with the Jordan XI's, Shooters T-shirts, All Daz, etc.

You don't see locals out in DC with freshly razor-taped hairlines and fresh street gear. They are country bumpkins compared to Philadelphians.
I disagree with this. Saying everyone in this city can dress and saying everyone in that city can't dress makes you sound like a hater.

There are fashionable people in every city in America. DC is a very fashionable city. DC has the best shopping options in the Mid-Atlantic below the Mason Dixon Line. The Wisconsin Ave strip from Georgetown to Bethesda has everything from Neiman Marcus to Gucci to two Ralph Lauren flagship stores.

But every big city has its country ghetto trends. NYC included. People in the hood in Brooklyn and Harlem dress like 50 Cent (one of the worst dressed rappers ever imo) still wearing Pelle Pelle leathers and white du rags. Some ghetto people in the Bay still wear Girbaud shuttle jeans and airbrushed tall tees with no name brand fitted caps. In L.A., you have dudes in the hood dressing like extras from a Snoop Dogg video from 94' in a bad way. DC has t-shirts with hoods attached, Nikes that look like moonboots and wave caps that look like skull condoms. Philly has people who still dress like its 2001.

But DC is stylish. From the ghetto kids to the rich White people, there are many stylish individuals. DC is the nation's capital for God's sake. People know how to dress out there. And no, you can't walk into any club in DC if you aren't dressed properly unless its some ghetto nightclub for hoodrats with Rick Ross blaring and five cops standing around on a tiny dance floor. As far as all of the talks of stylish rappers, Wale is often cited as one of the best dressed rappers in the game currently. DC style is very unique to the area. Many reputable fashion publications agree:

Fall Style: The Complex Guide to Dressing for Your City | Complex

Georgetown Gets Accolades: One Of The Most Stylish Neighborhoods In The World!

Washington, DC Among Top Ten “Most Fashionable Cities in America” | All Things Fashion DC

Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Haha you took me back with that one. I miss late 90s/early 00s Philly hip hop (and other northeastern hip hop in general). You already know Philly has more character/identity and also been more innovative than the two other cities that this thread pertains to.
HipHop was corny as hell back then. Philly had a lil run with State Property, but that was short lived. NYC rappers did more singing that rapping (Jarule, 50 cent), plus NYC rappers couldn't get along. Meanwhile the South was slowly taking over, and has been running this rap ish ever since (for better or worse).

Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
HipHop was corny as hell back then. Philly had a lil run with State Property, but that was short lived. NYC rappers did more singing that rapping (Jarule, 50 cent), plus NYC rappers couldn't get along. Meanwhile the South was slowly taking over, and has been running this rap ish ever since (for better or worse).
Really? Rap now is the worst it has ever been... EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City