Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM

90 posts, read 138,779 times

Advertisements

In terms of media overexposure, floods of transplants moving there, and quickly rising rent/cost of living, and encroaching gentrification, which city has it worse for having the reputation of being an "it" city? Which one has unhappier locals?

And which will be the next up-and-coming city to receive the same treatment as the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Oh, I probably should have mentioned Asheville as an example of another city which, while not approaching Austin/Portland levels of hype, does have its fair share of transplants moving in and upsetting local residents.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,384 times
I'd replace Asheville with Nashville.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:57 PM

Nashville's being flooded with transplants already?

How about Minneapolis? And how come that city doesn't have the same hype of Austin/Portland? It's the weather, isn't it

Last edited by Conrad Gray; 12-21-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 11:55 PM

9,685 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
Nashville's being flooded with transplants already?
Yes, for several years now.

Quote:
How about Minneapolis? And how come that city doesn't have the same hype of Austin/Portland? It's the weather, isn't it
Minneapolis meets or exceeds its hype.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:08 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
Is Portland even an "It" city anymore? Austin is for sure, but I feel like Portland's hype has stabilized. It seems like Nashville and Austin are the new "It" cities at the moment
Quote:
I think that once a city get's to a certain point, the hype doesn't seem as big. Cities like Austin, Portland, and Nashville are hyped up as being the next go to place because they're just starting to make strides and people start to see them as trendy places to move to. The Twin cities are past that point and have already made it to major city status.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Fair enough. So what's next- Louisville?

Old 12-22-2015, 02:03 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,819 times
Austin and Portland are what Minneapolis was in the 80s, Prince and punk rock made it the cool second tier city until the cycle moved on to Seattle. Styles have moved on but in terms of underlying muse Minneapolis is similar to the city it was then - just larger and more cosmopolitan. As someone who was a young person here back then, and engaged in creative pursuits I would say that being the cool city du jour was good for Minneapolis because it helped build up a lot of indie cultural institutions and a critical mass in the creative community, but it was also good when that period ended because it has allowed to become a more complete city rather than just a monoculture of cool kids.

One of the things that happens when a city becomes the cool city du jour is that a lot posers and hangers on move in who don't add much to a cities creative output. They are just interested in being cooler than everybody else like it is some sort of competition. They dress like the artists and musicians, and hang out and party in the same places but ultimately they are consumers of culture rather than producers. In the 80s version of Minneapolis those people eventually destroyed the culture surrounding the music scene by making life a competition to see who could be the most punk rock and do the hardest drugs. The creative types who made the scene in the first place all pulled back from it a bit and you were left with the hangers on. Eventually the hangers on all moved to the new spots (Seattle and Brooklyn) and the creative community here could begin to heal (which it has). I feel like this is the basic life cycle of all "cool cities". Austin and Portland are almost certainly going to be more interesting places in the future for what they are experiencing now, but they will be better places to live and more fully fleshed out as cities once this particular stage is over.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
The thing is, Portland hasn't really had the jobs to justify its appeal. But as the show says Portlandia, Portland's where 20 somethings go to retire and work at a coffee shop and play their guitar and sing on the streets.

Austin' economic prowess has grown and matched its appeal. When I went to TAMU, virtually everyone, yes even in Aggieland, wanted to live in Austin.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Fair enough. So what's next- Louisville?
I certainly think so...that is why I moved there...twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City