Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most global?
Toronto 28 33.73%
Washington 34 40.96%
San Francisco 36 43.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

If you are talking about global political importance I would agree with the statement. The thing is about these three cities all being 'global' cities they each have areas where they are more globally prominent than the other. This makes it difficult to come up with an across the board one is more global than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If we're talking about global prominence/importance, then it's DC by a large stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
SF is the tech headquarters of the world and a beloved international tourist destination
DC is the political capital of the world or at least western world
Toronto is the NYC of Canada

So that's how I'd rank them

Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you are talking about global political importance I would agree with the statement. The thing is about these three cities all being 'global' cities they each have areas where they are more globally prominent than the other. This makes it difficult to come up with an across the board one is more global than the other.
When it's the kind of disproportionate political importance that DC plays with all the various defense and other auxiliary industries that feed off of that, then there's a pretty solid argument for overall importance.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,432 times
Toronto is the most, followed by DC but only because DC is the capital of the "Free world" and then San Francisco.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Toronto is the most, followed by DC but only because DC is the capital of the "Free world" and then San Francisco.
Toronto gets my vote.
Has very international feel about it.

Not sure about DC being capital of the free world....maybe London or Brussels or NYC

SFO, pretty setting, IMO not in same league.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Toronto gets my vote.
Has very international feel about it.

Not sure about DC being capital of the free world....maybe London or Brussels or NYC

SFO, pretty setting, IMO not in same league.
DC is the capital of the United States. The United States is the biggest, most symbolic part of the "Free World". Therefore, DC is the "Capital of the Free World".

I agree with everything else though.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
sf is the tech headquarters of the world and a beloved international tourist destination
dc is the political capital of the world or at least western world
toronto is the nyc of canada

so that's how i'd rank them

+1

Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
For population use, there are no barometers so long as the United States, Canadian, or United Nations recognize that population is acceptable within any of their current definitions.

All three are global cities, to which extent? By that, which one is most, which one is least, and which one coasts through the middle overall?

For some criteria, you may cite plausible studies or you may choose to make your own arguments, albeit they must be supported with some backbone of facts. Some factors for your consideration could be within GDP, PPP (purchasing power parity), global influence, cultural influence, prominent industries, global link, collaborations with businesses offshores, so on. Be creative about it.

I'll leave the poll as multiple choice for those of you that may think it's a close call or that it could go any which way between multiple cities (or all for that matter). As for myself, I roughly consider them the same tier globally, so personally I'll be voting in all three.
DC is number one, it's the most influential city in the world. San Francisco and Toronto don't have representatives from every government on the planet negotiating deals that affect almost everyone in the world.

San Francisco is number two. Toronto comes in at third. In terms of global importance I think of Toronto as basically Philadelphia with a bigger stock exchange.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
DC is number one, it's the most influential city in the world. San Francisco and Toronto don't have representatives from every government on the planet negotiating deals that affect almost everyone in the world.

San Francisco is number two. Toronto comes in at third. In terms of global importance I think of Toronto as basically Philadelphia with a bigger stock exchange.
Actually.... New York is the most influential city in the world.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
In terms of global importance I think of Toronto as basically Philadelphia with a bigger stock exchange.
You might think that, but you would be incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City