Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best out of the worst?
Mississippi 3 10.00%
West Virginia 6 20.00%
Delaware 17 56.67%
North Dakota 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,625 times

Advertisements

My four least favorite states

What is the best out of these four based upon
Quality of life
Weather
Jobs
Economy
People
Diversity
Recreation
Nature
Urban Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Actually West Virginia is one of my favorite states. Almost total freedom, state pride and a bank load of really cool things to do.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
West Virginia is a beautiful state actually. Really cool to drive along all those mountain roads. Heck, they even have whitewater rafting there. What's not to like about that?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
I chose Delaware. Just so I could get to philly

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
My four least favorite states

What is the best out of these four based upon
Quality of life
Weather
Jobs
Economy
People
Diversity
Recreation
Nature
Urban Living
Definitely Delaware in my opinion. The main reason is the beaches, but there are also nice small towns and no sales tax.

Quality of life - This depends on what you're looking for. There are no large cities minus Wilmington, which doesn't have a high quality of life. For the most part, there are expensive neighborhoods in the Northern part of the state (Hockessin, etc.), there are small towns in the middle (Milford, Middletown), there are farms in the South, and there are McMansions on former farmland. If you want a big, affordable home, you can definitely find that in Delaware, but that's not something for everyone.

Weather - Typical Mid-Atlantic weather, which means cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and gorgeous in the spring and the fall.

Jobs - The clear winner here. The big industry is the chemical industry, although there are jobs in finance. Northern Delaware is within commuting distance of Philadelphia, which has jobs as well. Either way, the unemployment rate is better in Delaware than any of the other states except North Dakota and the average income blows the rest away (#9 in the nation).

Economy - See jobs. Also, no sales tax.

People - The people in Delaware are very friendly. Everyone says hi, etc. That's why my parents moved to Delaware, actually.

Diversity - This isn't great. There are pockets of blacks and Hispanics, but they're not well-integrated. There's a decent Indian population and decent Indian food. There are also a few Asians and ok Asian food. The University of Delaware has a sizable study abroad population, so Newark is a bit more diverse, but I wouldn't call it a selling point. I'm not sure any of the other states listed here really excel in this area, though.

Recreation - Delaware probably doesn't win here. The beaches are great (I'm sure they're great in Mississippi too). There are some pretty parks, although it probably doesn't touch West Virginia and North Dakota in these areas (no mountains). There are some good restaurants and some good bars/pubs especially in the Wilmington/Newark area and the Rehobeth area.

Nature - See recreation. DE is probably last.

Urban Living - Delaware does not do well here. But neither do the others.

Overall, Delaware scores well in the economy and quality of living without doing poor in comparison in anything except maybe nature. I think Delaware takes this easily. And that's without talking about its convenience in going to Philadelphia or Baltimore, DC, or New York.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Delaware's location has a lot going for it.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Delaware's location has a lot going for it.
Yep. Love the beaches. Used to love racing at St. Andrews School.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,920 times
Delaware. For one, it's the only actually urban state out of that list. Then there are the beaches, there's the real communities in cities like Wilmington, the old-world charm and history and prestige still present in parts, the diversity, etc.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,625 times
I chose west Virginia. Its a terrible state in manyways but i love the nature of the state. Its just the people, politics, government, education, roads, towns and culture that bring it down.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Delaware doesn't belong on this list:

All sizes | Fall in the Brandywine Valley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | The town circle and courthouse in Georgetown, where Return Day is held and the proverbial hatchet is actually buried | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Brandywine Valley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Cape Henlopen State Park, Sussex Co, DE | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Covered Bridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City