Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of these four cities
San Francisco 22 48.89%
Honolulu 8 17.78%
Seattle 17 37.78%
San Diego 10 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gentoo, don't forget the UC botanical gardens, and the rose garden on Euclid St.! (I haven't figured out how to post pix yet.)

Tilden Park: hiking, horseback riding, picnicking, spectacular views of the Bay.
Unfortunately, I don't have pics of those but you're right.

Speaking of views of the bay; Berkeley is fairly unique in that the whole city is tilted slightly toward the bay, in other words there is always a slight grade. This means that even when you're not in the hills, you can see the bay from just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have pics of those but you're right.

Speaking of views of the bay; Berkeley is fairly unique in that the whole city is tilted slightly toward the bay, in other words there is always a slight grade. This means that even when you're not in the hills, you can see the bay from just about anywhere.
Yeah, it is pretty cool to see the sun setting on the Bay as you walk down University Avenue.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, it is pretty cool to see the sun setting on the Bay as you walk down University Avenue.
Yep, especially since you're also directly across from the Golden Gate

Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I love all four cities (lived in SD/SF Bay Area), but I don't think I could live in Honolulu- too remote/far from the mainland. Seattle is great, but the weather certainly isn't one of its selling points. Between SF and SD, SF is by far the more exciting/dynamic place though

Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM

67 posts, read 229,509 times
I moved from San Francisco to Honolulu about 9 years ago. I lived in an apt on Nob Hill from 1988 to 2003 ish. I would not be able to afford the apt alone these days but thats rent contrrol for you.

Anyway, you really gave no details on who you are , what your skills are etc except for looking for laid back.

Honolulu can be a great place for many people, but many end up moving back to the mainland in a few years, i myself am seriously considering moving back too. I think the prices here are on par with SF, but the salaries are much lower, much lower. Plus, there isn't a lot of vertical career opps here. SF has much more opportunties, but then it depedns on what you do.

Some people who move here thrive, some dont'. I have known many who have moved back, for various reasons. I've never known anybody on the street, but the quality of life is different.

Locals have it easier for many reasons. I've known people who did well here. One couple in particular moved here about 7 years ago from Sacramento, she did well as a legal asst, but her husband has not done well as an accountant. Having temp jobs here and there for many years, Odd, seeing there are accounting positions. I heard he eventually has gone back to school. He's a tall very white haole guy. Dont know if that matters or not. Very friendly, but I dunno. People like to talk that there is no discrimination here, but I sometimes beg to differ, especially in the work force if you aren't local or local looking. Maybe because many of the work force is male, Japanese American oriented, there is that chance you might not fit in. I am REALLY GENERALIZING HERE. You'll see though, perhaps.Seems to be lots of office jobs, but pay realy starts you at $11 ish an hour or so. give or take some. Thats kind of low. Secretaries/admin start out at that I gues, but considering secretaries and admins in SF back in 1995 made avg of 35,000, you'll see how salaries are way different.

I myself make much less than I did in SF ten years ago. But the air, the weather, the flowers, the trees, does wonders for the spirit and mind. No kidding. People are friendly, there is something about it here. Lots of locals, many Samoans and Micronesians and Marshall Islands people who work mainly in the service industries. If you're a dishwasher and haole, you may have problems.

Bus system is great. The style of housing can look run down, clapboard style. You pay more but get less here, but hopefully uyou're outdoors a lot. You leanr to buy cheaper. ie. just noticed a pound of shiitake mushrooms at Foodland Ala Moana was $12 a pound. wheras in chinatown, it is $5.50 a pound. Big differece. Dont' buy your grociers in Waikiki. Go to walmart. I mean, really, much cheaper there. Chunky soups regularly on sale for $2.00 wheras the supermarkets will charge about $4.50 for a can of Chunky. just an example there,

Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Cost of living is a factor but come to the Bay Area and work your ***** off so you can not only afford it, but own it..If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seattle is, at the very least, easy-going, I have to grant it that. Though the entertainment options are not as numerous, diverse or high-quality as SF area.
That may be true, but San Francisco is one of the great cities in the country for entertainment. There's so much to do, see, eat, and drink in a very compact area that very few places can compete. However, Seattle definitely holds its own. It has some great attractions (Underground Tour, Space Needle, Seattle Center, Ballard Locks, Kerry Park, etc), a vibrant and booming downtown, lots of fun, distinct neighborhoods, great artisinal markets (Pike Place, Melrose Market, etc.) good restaurants and bars, a vibrant University District a la Telegraph within the City, an intriguing and beautiful ferry system (that also happens to be the busiest in the world), mountains and tons of cool islands nearby, etc. Seattle also has much better and more developed beaches in-city than San Francisco.

I guess what I'm saying is that, while Seattle's entertainment options may not be quite as good as SF's, there's still a wide range of high quality entertainment options throughout the City. I wouldn't worry about getting bored or running out of things to do. Especially in the summer, where you won't find enough time in the day to fit in all that you want to do.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
There's so much to do, see, eat, and drink in a very compact area that very few places can compete.
This is the number problem about living in SF, too many people jammed into one tiny place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City