Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM

66 posts, read 85,538 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I would appreciate additional input from people who have some insights into new areas. So far I haven't had much luck in my own exploration. I live in the Rockies, but originally from New England. I love the geography and people of New England, but not the winters. The summers in the Rockies are fantastic but winters are too long, the high desert lacks lush green trees, most everyone over 30 is married or a ski bumb and I live in an area with no opportunity for career advancement. Looking to find an area that might meet the following:
Single, Professional work/medical, Green trees, Near water, milder winters, and easy access to horse boarding/trails (I ride western).
These are all tough orders to fill as I continue my journey to find eutopia, but realizing I may need to give up something. Please don't be offended by following dislikes as we all have things we find appealing....and I will not give up the horse.

Austin great city but the rolling hills weren't so rolling and green, too sticky hot summers
Portland too wet/mold
Phoenix- could care less if I ever see a sage bush again, desert!
Florida too flat, too hot, no green except palm trees.
Carolina's-Raleigh wasn't bad; North Carolina was absolutely gorgeous BUT for first time in my life I felt like a northerner in South Carolina and parts of NC.
Montana- winters too long and cold

Contemplating MD, DE, VA......oh the humidity>>>

One of the interesting things is that if I was married I think I would find myself on a small, wooded urban ranch within an easy drive to a culture filled city, but that is not the case...therefore a small town with just families won't be enough. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Possibly Pennsylvania?? A lot of further out suburbs are made up or rural areas and lots of properties with horses. Rolling hills no mountains, Philadelphia being the closet city. Just a suggestion.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,020,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Possibly Pennsylvania?? A lot of further out suburbs are made up or rural areas and lots of properties with horses. Rolling hills no mountains, Philadelphia being the closet city. Just a suggestion.
That's actually very true! Pennsylvania might work well. Valley Forge and Gladwyne definitely have such properties! I have certainly seen them off Waverly rd.

If you're interested in VA, check out Great Falls and Washington (County) where your point of culture will of course be DC. I know there is a strong equestrian culture in that area. I also knew an attorney who practiced equine law in Charlottesville, so I'm sure this is an area that might also fit your criteria. 'C-ville' is close to Richmond and a short drive from DC, but that area is also well-known for plenty of snow during the winter months.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Thanks! PA just sounds cold. Also what about family versus single lifestyle.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Southeastern PA winters are definately not as harsh as new england, much more mild and less snow. A lot of areas near Valley Forge and Gladwyne have singles and families, I do not know the exact ratio though, but very expensive in those areas due to close proximity to Philly and large amount of wealth in the area.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks, some have suggested Philly, not really sure or know much about the area. Doing more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City