Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Right, but having the likes of Macy's, Target, and Saks Off 5th definitely set the two a part. I'm really curious as to what will go into the former Neiman Marcus site in downtown MPLS.
I agree those stores are good stores, but I don't really see how that makes Nicollet the clear winner though. I think 16th street has more stores, while Nicollet has a few more important stores.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-04-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,826,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I agree those stores are good stores, but I don't really see how that makes Nicollet the clear winner though. I think 16th street has more stores, while Nicollet has more important stores.
As retail Seattle really trumps both Denver and Minnneapolis. Seattle has the flagship Nordstrom, The flagship R.E.I, The flagship Nordstrom Rack, A flagship Barney's NY . And also a Target, Macy's, A Ross , a new three story TJ MAXX under construction, A two story Bed Bath and Beyond, A large Nike Town, Two Game Works, A new two story Zara under construction. A new H Mart under construction. The Westlake Center Mall is being remodeled and fully leased. Pacific Place Mall is fully leased full of upscale stores. Pike Place Market is getting ready for a 65 million dollar expansion. Downtown
Seattle has 3 movie multiplexes with over 30 screens. Lots of supermarkets downtown also. All Downtown I could go on with hundreds of other retailers big and small but I think I proved my pointe.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
As retail Seattle really trumps both Denver and Minnneapolis. Seattle has the flagship Nordstrom, The flagship R.E.I, The flagship Nordstrom Rack, A flagship Barney's NY . And also a Target, Macy's, A Ross , a new three story TJ MAXX under construction, A two story Bed Bath and Beyond, A large Nike Town, Two Game Works, A new two story Zara under construction. A new H Mart under construction. The Westlake Center Mall is being remodeled and fully leased. Pacific Place Mall is fully leased full of upscale stores. Pike Place Market is getting ready for a 65 million dollar expansion. Downtown
Seattle has 3 movie multiplexes with over 30 screens. Lots of supermarkets downtown also. All Downtown I could go on with hundreds of other retailers big and small but I think I proved my pointe.
Um, I already stated how I think Seattle has better shopping downtown than the other two. lol. Minneapolis and Denver's major shopping areas are outside of Downtown. I don't think the same goes for Seattle.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Um, I already stated how I think Seattle has better shopping downtown than the other two. lol. Minneapolis and Denver's major shopping areas are outside of Downtown. I don't think the same goes for Seattle.
Sorry missed that.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Hello?!

How can you guys talk about who has more retail stores and shopping and exclude the Mall of America??!!
MOA is (literally) an amusement park with a huge mall attached to it. It's a fabulous asset and definitely gives Minneapolis a huge retail edge, but locals (at least locals who aren't from Bloomington or south Minneapolis or other southern suburbs) don't really use it as a shopping destination any more than the other malls in the Twin Cities area. When people from, say, White Bear Lake or Wayzata or Roseville go to MOA, it's probably for an event or for Nickelodeon Universe or the aquarium, not shopping.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM

345 posts, read 833,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
MOA is (literally) an amusement park with a huge mall attached to it. It's a fabulous asset and definitely gives Minneapolis a huge retail edge, but locals (at least locals who aren't from Bloomington or south Minneapolis or other southern suburbs) don't really use it as a shopping destination any more than the other malls in the Twin Cities area. When people from, say, White Bear Lake or Wayzata or Roseville go to MOA, it's probably for an event or for Nickelodeon Universe or the aquarium, not shopping.
I think, in terms of talking about retail, it doesn't matter at all who shops there. It still is the largest mall in the USA, and has plans for a huge expansion. So being that this not about downtowns, Minneapolis can obviously compete with the other two, giving it an edge like you said. But it doesn't matter who shops there particularly, it still is a zoo every single weekend, flooded with people.

Seattle's downtown has much of its retail there because downtown Seattle's population is much greater than the other two downtowns. It also helps when you have big retail HQ's (Minneapolis does have Target) and you can put stores there just cause you can.

16th Street Mall is fun and vibrant and has all the shops and restaurants centrally located in Denver's downtown; whereas Seattle's has consistent retail throughout with a good amount coming from Pike St. and Westlake shopping area. 16th Street Mall is the most pedestrian friendly, IMO.

Nicollet Mall has tried to sustain its "power" in Minneapolis. Mall of America did not help AT ALL. but Nicollet has survived and with the residential boom in Minneapolis, I would think and hope that a lot of stores do come to downtown MPLS. When comparing shopping between the cities, you can't forget the MOA.

Shopping is really a small part of each of these cities, I would much rather go back to talking about the cities in different categories, but had to give my opinion on this.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
I think, in terms of talking about retail, it doesn't matter at all who shops there. It still is the largest mall in the USA, and has plans for a huge expansion. So being that this not about downtowns, Minneapolis can obviously compete with the other two, giving it an edge like you said. But it doesn't matter who shops there particularly, it still is a zoo every single weekend, flooded with people.

Seattle's downtown has much of its retail there because downtown Seattle's population is much greater than the other two downtowns. It also helps when you have big retail HQ's (Minneapolis does have Target) and you can put stores there just cause you can.

16th Street Mall is fun and vibrant and has all the shops and restaurants centrally located in Denver's downtown; whereas Seattle's has consistent retail throughout with a good amount coming from Pike St. and Westlake shopping area. 16th Street Mall is the most pedestrian friendly, IMO.

Nicollet Mall has tried to sustain its "power" in Minneapolis. Mall of America did not help AT ALL. but Nicollet has survived and with the residential boom in Minneapolis, I would think and hope that a lot of stores do come to downtown MPLS. When comparing shopping between the cities, you can't forget the MOA.

Shopping is really a small part of each of these cities, I would much rather go back to talking about the cities in different categories, but had to give my opinion on this.
Seattle is 10 miles away from Bellevue Wa across the lake. The Bellevue Collection is undergoing a 1.2 billion dollar expansion When complete it wil have four highrise hotels, Two highrise condos and two million square ft + of retail will be much more upscale than MOA and more urban being downtown Bellevue. It's also being connected by subway to Seattle like Minneapolis and MOA.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 PM

I'm surprised Zara is opening a flagship store in downtown Seattle before MOA ?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,157 times
Quote:
Seattle is 10 miles away from Bellevue Wa across the lake. The Bellevue Collection is undergoing a 1.2 billion dollar expansion When complete it wil have four highrise hotels, Two highrise condos and two million square ft + of retail will be much more upscale than MOA and more urban being downtown Bellevue. It's also being connected by subway to Seattle like Minneapolis and MOA.
Minneapolis is 10 miles from the MOA, which is in Bloomington. The mall has already been expanding and now that the MN Legislature approved tax breaks worth $250 million for a $1.5 billion expansion, the MOA will double its size up to 5.6 million sq ft. The addition will include hundreds of stores, including an upscale area that will cater to customers with annual household income of more than $100,000. Theaters, office towers, 3 new hotels (one has already been built), an ice rink, and a water park are also planned. It's expected that the 40 million shoppers will increase by as much as 50 percent.

Bloomington isn't as urban Bellevue, but St. Paul easily beats out Bellevue, so whatever.

Last edited by YIMBY; 06-06-2013 at 12:20 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
I'm surprised Zara is opening a flagship store in downtown Seattle before MOA ?
you don't know if you are surprised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City