Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times

Advertisements

Good grief. There are posters over there that absolutely will not stop talking about Houston. They just use old stereotypes of the city and try to pass them as fact. Look at some of these posts here:

Houston's obsession with LA....can we analyze this please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I agree with everything you said Techie. If you're a liberal progressive fellow it can be a hell on earth fighting with rabid social conservative nutbars who hate the sight of a yellow school bus. I just do not get how they think that Houston is such a great place to live. It's amazing what a bunch of PR fluff and limited growth can do. They don't realize they're creating a recipe for uneven economic development.

Los Angeles with all of its problems still amazes me how they've managed to maintain the city. Houston has a lot of shiny new development but contrast it with the relative underclass beneath the surface. It's night and day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
You bring several good points, but I find that when many stubborn Texans are made self-aware of their arrogance and stereotypes does their false Texas sized bravado increase along with their socialized ignorance.

One of my biggest problems with Houston is that one really has to go beyond subjectivity to complete homerism and ignorance to champion it as a great city to live.
Quite the entertaining thread. There are other threads in there too where Houston has been the topic of conversation. Fun reads.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
i like houston

vietnamese coffee shops arent as sexy as orange county but it's up and coming

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
LA isnt obsessed with Houston.

You confused 5 or 6 people with 12 million people. Of those 12 million, almost all dont care.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

You confused 5 or 6 people with 12 million people. Of those 12 million, almost all dont care.
They're pretty obsessed brah.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:

5-6 people that used to live in Houston and like to rag on it.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
They're pretty obsessed brah.
Im assuming youre being sarcastic.

In the event that youre not, come down from your acid trip before starting threads.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
To me, from my visits to JSC, Houston seems like a flat, hot, humid swamp a long way from a dirty ocean with almost no surf and occasional hurricanes. It seems like it would be the epicenter for stripmall/suburban sprawl and gridlock.

Not very appealing, even if there are lots of jobs thanks to Oil, Gas, and Chinese investors.

Am I wrong?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

591 posts, read 821,667 times
Quote:

LMAO!

I must say, most of the Californians I've met view Texas favorably. However, when I use the term "Californians," I'm not specifically referring to Angelenos. On the same note, when I refer to "Texas," I'm not specifically referring to Houston.

Most of the Californians I've met in Arizona seem to be from Orange County, San Diego County, and the Inland Empire. These areas are more conservative than most of L.A. County, and for the most part, conservatives and Republicans (from anywhere, not necessarily California) have a more positive view of Texas than liberals and Democrats. Conservative Californians seem to prefer states like Texas and Arizona whereas Nevada; Oregon; Washington; and, to a lesser extent, Colorado attract more liberal Californians.

That's my $0.02.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
I've real life never heard anyone in Los Angeles or anyone from Los Angeles ever have anything to say about Houston--either good or bad... Ever.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post

Most of the Californians I've met in Arizona seem to be from Orange County, San Diego County, and the Inland Empire. These areas are more conservative than most of L.A. County, and for the most part, conservatives and Republicans (from anywhere, not necessarily California) have a more positive view of Texas than liberals and Democrats. Conservative Californians seem to prefer states like Texas and Arizona whereas Nevada; Oregon; Washington; and, to a lesser extent, Colorado attract more liberal Californians.
Yeah, there is probably a great deal of truth to this.

Of course, what a lot of native (conservative) Texans and Arizonans dont always get is that a conservative Californian is more times than not viewed as left of center in Texas and Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City