Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times

Advertisements

If any 2 states in the country have mostly impeccable reputations for being warm, sunny, beach lined vacation getaways, those 2 states are definitely California and Florida.

Any other beach states are either too cold part of the year, or they're just not seen as being anywhere near as exiting as Cali and Florida. Maybe just for short trips or vacations other states will do, but Cali and Florida are seen as more than just short term getaway states. They are states people who love warm sunny weather want to live.

I'll list 18 stereotypes for each state from most common to less common. Some of mine will seem sort of vague.

California:

LA
Hollywood
Beaches
Warm weather
Movie stars
Expensive
Beverly Hills
San Francisco
Mexicans
Earthquakes
Santa Monica
Mountains
Redwoods
Surfing
Silicon Valley
Liberal
Traffic
The Valley
Smog

Florida:

Miami
Beaches
Tropical
Warm weather
Blue water
Orlando theme parks
Hurricanes
Expensive cars
Cubans
Crazy people
Humidity
Retirees
Yachts
Tampa Bay
Alligators
Everglades
Different from the south

Since both States are mostly romanticized I didn't include more bad stereotypes because I think they come out less unless you passionately hate one or both of them.

Anyway, which state has the better reputation /stereotypes? Which do you like more?

Edit: Dang. I started this thread with the intention of making it a poll and only remembered that as I was clicking the post button . I just think polls are more fun and get more people involved who might not want to post anything. Oh well, not every thread needs a poll I guess.

Last edited by KoNgFooCj; 12-10-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
California. I personally never romanticized Florida although I do like it.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Hawaii also has that reputation.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
CA
Bleeding heart liberalism at its most extreme
Conspicuous consumption to obscene excess
Out of control wildfires
Sea lions and sharks

FL
Retirement capital USA
Freaky weird $#*% that makes the news for stupidity
Out of control hurricanes
Alligators and sharks

Old 12-11-2019, 04:25 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
I guess it's easy for any of us to give in to stereotypes or unrealistic romanticizing if we don't keep it in check. I think CA was WONDERFUL in the 1970's. It was affordable and people of different beliefs got along well. Both aspects are different now. My wife and I were there earlier this year. I had known that it was grossly more expensive than in previous decades and that it was more politically extreme than in past years, but we were dumbfounded at how different it was seeing it and experiencing it first-hand. LA and the Bay Area especially.

FL has its negatives. Hurricane risk. Lightning capital. Gators, snakes, and sharks. But I've been visiting FL since I was a preteen in the 70's and lived in Orlando for a year about 10 years ago and I loved it.

I think today, in my own personal experiences in both places, FL's image is more realistic than CA's. I definitely think FL has a better quality of life today than CA. Again, it's my own personal take and everyone has theirs.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:14 AM

12 posts, read 7,799 times
I think a false stereotype is that California is warm year round, good luck getting through 2/3 of the year wearing a t-shirt. Central Coast during Spring it can get down to mid 30s at night.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:49 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I think a false stereotype is that California is warm year round, good luck getting through 2/3 of the year wearing a t-shirt. Central Coast during Spring it can get down to mid 30s at night.
Agreed. I'm way down in south Orange County and it's been in the 40s when I get up in the morning. Sure, it warms up to the high 60s or so by afternoon but mornings and evenings are downright chilly. Unless you're coming from a much colder climate, I guess.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:20 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,486 times
California is the home of prank videos, Valley Girls, and vocal-fry accents.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:27 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
CA:
Beverly Hills
Extreme Excess
Extreme Sprawl
Traffic
Orange County
San Fran
Liberal
Sonoma
Ugly Sprawling Development

FL:
Crazy people
Uneducated
Miami
South Beach
Sprawling development
Lots of old people
Everglades
Alligators
Orlando

Personally CA > FL. Unless you are a retiree most younger people in the Northeast (at least in PHL) have a negative perception of FL and tend to make fun of it.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:32 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Florida:
Retirees at the early bird buffet
Mouse ears
Google "Florida man"
Hot/humid, bugs, snakes
Joe Sixpack on the discount airline wearing a wife beater for his one week winter getaway

California:
Traffic jam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City