Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,185 times

Advertisements

Hollywood, CA: Never been there but for what I have heard, it is not as exciting as it appears, just a street with some stars in the floor with celebrities names and some movie studios. Not sure if there are areas of normal middle class residents.

Hollywood, FL: A flat suburb of Ft. Lauderdale.

Which of the two Hollywoods would you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Hollywood, CA

Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Hollywood, CA.

Despite what many people think, it is a (very large) neighborhood of Los Angeles. Not just a single strip with people's names on it (though the Walk of Fame in the running for worst tourist attraction ever IMO). There is actually quite a bit to do there for regular people and is a living-breathing neighborhood with just about every class represented, from white collar workers to middle-class to working class (even my building has that much of a range of classes).

I've never been to Hollywood, FL - I've heard it is pretty cool, the boardwalk is sort of the South Florida version of Venice Beach. I'll say Hollywood, CA because it is really revitalizing and is in the middle of a mini-building boom (2nd largest in the city behind DTLA).

Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM

465 posts, read 872,360 times
The touristy part of Hollywood, CA is about the worst neighborhood on the planet. There could hardly be a scuzzier, tourist-trap area than Hollywood Blvd., especially around Highland east to Vine. Avoid this area like the plague, unless you want to be assulted by quasi-homeless dressed as cartoon characters.

But most of Hollywood is pretty decent, and sometimes kinda cool, so overall I vote for Hollywood, CA.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM

65 posts, read 166,379 times
Hollywood, FL has an amazing beach -- one of the best in Florida -- but most of the city itself west of the intracoastal is seedy, run-down, and inhabited by a lot of freaks, weirdos, and vagrant types.

Hollywood, CA has the cool sign and the Walk of Fame (overrated) but is equally seedy as its FL counterpart in many of the non-tourist areas.

In summation, neither is in reality what most people think of when they hear "Hollywood."

Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
The touristy part of Hollywood, CA is about the worst neighborhood on the planet. There could hardly be a scuzzier, tourist-trap area than Hollywood Blvd., especially around Highland east to Vine. Avoid this area like the plague, unless you want to be assulted by quasi-homeless dressed as cartoon characters.
Worst neighborhood on the planet? Seems a little (no, a lot) of an exaggeration. At this point about 1/2 of the businesses are scuzzy and just tourist-oriented, but the other half are very useful for the local residents. Hollywood / Highland is an area I avoid but cannot deny how convenient it is to have a mall with dozens of upscale shops within walking distance of your apartment - I probably go to that corner about 2 or 3 times a month. As you get towards Hollywood / Vine it gets a lot nicer and more upscale (and is getting to be unrecognizable from just 5 years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
But most of Hollywood is pretty decent, and sometimes kinda cool, so overall I vote for Hollywood, CA.
The Cahuenga Corridor, Yucca Corridor, Franklin Village, Guitar Row (~Sunset and Gardner) are probably my favorite parts of Central Hollywood. But I really enjoy the entire place.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
It's quite funny how both cities have a "seedy" reputation on opposite coasts of the US.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,815 times
Eh... Give me Hollywood, CA and it ain't close.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
It's quite funny how both cities have a "seedy" reputation on opposite coasts of the US.
Even funnier is Hollywood, Fl has an area called the Hollywood Hills. I wonder how hilly it is

Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Yeah. I've always heard of Hollywood CA's seediness. But there are pretty seedy, drug infested, corridors of Hollywood FL. But Hollywood FL is also a dense city, with nice neighborhoods with 1930's era Spanish Homes. Hollywood FL is really a mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City