Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
"significant" meaning notable...? As in, which cities have a black population that made an important difference in their city???

If so, then I'd have to say:

Atlanta
Oakland (Yes, I'd definitely agree to that BIG time... Black Panthers...)
Los Angeles
New York City
Brooklyn (aside from NYC)
Chicago
Detroit
Washington DC
Montgomerey
New Orleans
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Blacks influence everywhere we go. We swag like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 04:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I don't think the point of this thread is about being a "black" city. No city is a black city because at the end of the day, white men rule the country.

28% is a very respectable size black population. My city was only like 20 to 25% black growing up, but I got the full black experience of growing up there and not once did I feel like I couldn't find my culture and place there.
Some people don't understand this concept.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking that it is about percentage, but even that may vary depending on who you ask. I think if a city is at least 20%, then most may consider that significant. It may be a little lower or a little higher, but I don't think that the city necessarily needs to be predominately Black to be recognized for its Black population.
Percentage is iffy, when i comes 2 big cities like Los angeles. 9% is low, but 9% of 4 million is significant, in my mind.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Percentage is iffy, when i comes 2 big cities like Los angeles. 9% is low, but 9% of 4 million is significant, in my mind.
Good point and people have to consider that there are suburbs around South L.A. that still have high Black percentages. So, the heart of their Black community isn't just within L.A.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,974,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Still a significant number. But compared to a city like Chicago, which isn't quite as big, and to cities like Houston and Dallas that are half the size, that does make LA's numbers look a bit anemic when you consider how ginormous the metro is.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,351,106 times
Quote:
"significant" meaning notable...? As in, which cities have a black population that made an important difference in their city???

If so, then I'd have to say:

Atlanta
Oakland (Yes, I'd definitely agree to that BIG time... Black Panthers...)
Los Angeles
New York City
Brooklyn (aside from NYC)
Chicago
Detroit
Washington DC
Montgomerey
New Orleans
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
St. Louis
No, "significant" as in size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You can thank Hollywood for that one. Texas as always portrayed as rednecks with cowboy hats (even though a redneck and a cowboy are two totally different things).
Hollywood is only partly to blame for this. Texas played its own role in the marginalization of its black residents and their culture. Unlike other southern states, Texas had a different story to tell, and there isn't much that's epic about its Deep South cotton history, so blacks were shoved aside in favor of a more fanciful facade of cowboys and Mexicans. It's what made Texas stand out.

It's the reason few people know that 1/3 of the state's population was once black, that slaves used to comprise half of Houston's population, that black folks were a driving force behind Texas BBQ, or that they were singing the blues in Texas before they had even of heard of it Memphis. The list goes on.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Still a significant number. But compared to a city like Chicago, which isn't quite as big, and to cities like Houston and Dallas that are half the size, that does make LA's numbers look a bit anemic when you consider how ginormous the metro is.
Yeah but one million Blacks in any metro is still significant. That's a huge presence.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it is a matter of the Black population being widespread throughout the state at a high level. East and into some of Central Texas is basically like most other Southern states in that regard. I think it is the drop in percentage in South and West Texas is probably what people are focusing on, even though parts of West Texas have communities with decent percentages of Black people. New York State is similar in that most of the Black population is Downstate(in this case Hudson Valley and down). Even in states where the Black population is widespread, some parts have a higher percentage/presence than others.
Yeah even most Blacks in Texas are shocked to learn that there is a sizeable Black population in the Permian Basin, Lubbock, and even Amarillo. There's even some in Sweetwater and Big Springs, I believe. I mean it's not hard to believe because a great portion of the nearly 3.3 million Blacks in Texas reside east of 35 and north of I-10.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,740,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No, "significant" as in size.
No??? SO, if it's based on SIZE, is that raw numbers or percentage?

If raw numbers, you HAVE to say

New York/Brooklyn cause there are like 2 million black people living there. But even that is only like a quarter of the population there.
Chicago city has nearly a million black people by itself. Without adding in Gary, etc
Detroit alone has like 600K plus
Washington DC alone has about 300K... Then try adding in Prince George Co. & the rest of the surrounding areas...
Atlanta. Atlanta alone has over 200K black people. Then Dekalb has another 400K black people. The Atlanta metro area has somewhere near 2million black people...

By numbers, you have to consider NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Atlanta, Baltimore, Houston,
But not Miami...

Miami only has like 70K black people. That is DWARFED by other cities.

And LA.... Yeah, there are like 300K+ in the city. BUT that 300K is only about a 10th of the city population...

The raw numbers can be misleading. Which is why I think it should be more by percentage if being judged by size.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,351,106 times
Quote:
No??? SO, if it's based on SIZE, is that raw numbers or percentage?

If raw numbers, you HAVE to say

New York/Brooklyn cause there are like 2 million black people living there. But even that is only like a quarter of the population there.
Chicago city has nearly a million black people by itself. Without adding in Gary, etc
Detroit alone has like 600K plus
Washington DC alone has about 300K... Then try adding in Prince George Co. & the rest of the surrounding areas...
Atlanta. Atlanta alone has over 200K black people. Then Dekalb has another 400K black people. The Atlanta metro area has somewhere near 2million black people...

By numbers, you have to consider NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Atlanta, Baltimore, Houston,
But not Miami...

Miami only has like 70K black people. That is DWARFED by other cities.

And LA.... Yeah, there are like 300K+ in the city. BUT that 300K is only about a 10th of the city population...

The raw numbers can be misleading. Which is why I think it should be more by percentage if being judged by size.
I don't think most here are really considering raw numbers. We're mostly discussing percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City