Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 12:49 AM

942 posts, read 562,765 times

Advertisements

Two Florida cities. Which would you pick to live in? We are comparing

Natural beauty
Culture
Entertainment/things to do
Nightlife
Food
Cost of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 04:58 AM

73 posts, read 47,302 times
Natural beauty- West Palm Beach. I might be generalizing here but Orlando doesn’t have much natural beauty and WPB is in south Florida, so it’s got more watery vistas, palm trees, and beaches.

Culture- Not sure. Both cities have similar demographics. West Palm is influenced by Cuban and Haitian culture, while Orlando has a large population of Puerto Ricans who bring a lot of their culture, foods, and style to the region.

Entertainment/things to do- Orlando, by a long shot. It’s the major city between the two and therefore has more amenities and activities.

Nightlife- Not sure about WPB nightlife but Orlando nightlife is great downtown and in other places around town. There are rowdy areas great for clubbing and partying downtown and more swanky areas around International that are a bit more low key and subdued.

Food- Orlando gets more natural recognition, with James Beard restaurants and the most food trucks per capita of any city nationwide. This may just be a product of Orlando being a bigger city and WPB existing in Miami’s shadow a bit.

Cost of living- Neither city is particularly cheap but Orlando is cheaper, although I believe pay is lower, so it may be a wash.

I’d pick Orlando to live in rather easily. West Palm has a pretty high crime rate, especially its murder rate. Orlando is much cleaner, newer, and offers big-city amenities, better schools, lower COL, and a better quality of life.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:40 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Natural beauty WPB easily on this one. Orlando has some nice spots (particularly a little ways outside the city), but WPB has the beaches just outside of the city limits and Intracoastal. It's much prettier.

Culture Tie. Both have their positives, but I wouldn't call either major cultural hubs.

Entertainment/things to do Orlando gets the nod here because it is such a hub of entertainment. But for my personal preferences, WPB has a lot more. Boating and beaching are a lot more appealing to me than anything Orlando has to offer.

Nightlife Orlando - there's more variety. I do like that the WPB area has a lot of places that are open air with live music by the water.

Food Probably Orlando for variety. But I prefer WPB purely for the "catch of the day" seafood options that are all over the area. I've also spent more time exploring the WPB area, so I've found more local spots that I really like down there.

Cost of living Orlando has more options for less money than WPB.

I'd choose WPB quite easily for the coastal location, relatively low cost of living (relative to where I am now), and access to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:05 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Natural beauty WPB, but not by much, and really only because beach > springs. The Orlando suburbs have rolling hills, gorgeous chains of lakes, etc. So, WPB wins, but not by much.

Culture Orlando's Puerto Rican is stronger than West Palm's Cuban culture, IMO.

Entertainment/things to do Orlando. By a lot.

Nightlife Orlando. West Palm is fine, but Orlando is several notches above.

Food Orlando

Cost of living Not sure... Maybe Orlando for having more affordable options in some of the outlying suburbs.

I'd pick Orlando over WP, mainly because, as mentioned above, Orlando has MUCH more big city amenities, is newer, cleaner, and more vibrant.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Despite its inland location, Orlando has more abundant natural beauty than West Palm Beach. In addition to being more heavily forested than West Palm Beach, Orlando has more varied terrain, especially in the area west of town near Clermont. Also, Orlando has hundreds of freshwater lakes and springs within and near its boundaries, which provide additional beauty and recreational opportunities for local residents and tourists alike. Although West Palm Beach is located near the Atlantic Ocean, the natural environment of South Florida primarily consists of Florida scrub, which has a rather sparse appearance. Because of the incredible population density of South Florida, one has to either live on the Intracoastal Waterway or "in the boonies" (i.e., The Acreage, Jupiter Farms, Loxahatchee, etc.) with very limited services (e.g., no sewer lines, no street lights, etc.) to be in close proximity to nature. In the Orlando area, on the other hand, it is much easier to find a home that is located in a nicely wooded neighborhood with relatively quick access to nature.

Another important distinction between Orlando and West Palm Beach are the origins of their respective populations. While there are many transplants from New Jersey and New York living in the Orlando area, there are still enough transplants from other balances to balance out the New Yorkers. West Palm Beach, on the other hand, is so saturated with New Yorkers that it feels like you're living in a city on Long Island. Unfortunately, that was a little too much for me.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:09 PM

402 posts, read 369,124 times
Orlando wins this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City