Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's definately not true. This is 2013 not 06. Many touristy spots around the world are avoided by locals, that's nothing new. An unsavory crowd is completely and absolutely false.
Yeah. It's frustrating when somebody who claims to have lived someplace seven years ago uses that as a basis to dispute your current experience. I was there last week. He's completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Yeah. It's frustrating when somebody who claims to have lived someplace seven years ago uses that as a basis to dispute your current experience. I was there last week. He's completely wrong.
And I was there in March, and I am sure that you are wrong. There have been shootings around the area. Doesn't mean I don't go, and will go again in the future, but there is a problem.

I love these defensive comments on this thread, with the nonsensical "I have been to Santa Monica Pier and there were no crimes committed, therefore Santa Monica Pier doesn't have a problem with crimes".

I have traveled hundreds of times through South Central and Watts, and have never seen anything remotely illegal. Therefore, all the crime reports indicating otherwise are obviously lies!

There was even a shooting/hostage taking on the Pier a few years ago. I'm sure everyone will say I'm lying, but it happened. Again, not the norm, but an issue that SM has been dealing with for some time now.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
And I was there in March, and I am sure that you are wrong. There have been shootings around the area. Doesn't mean I don't go, and will go again in the future, but there is a problem.

I love these defensive comments on this thread, with the nonsensical "I have been to Santa Monica Pier and there were no crimes committed, therefore Santa Monica Pier doesn't have a problem with crimes".

I have traveled hundreds of times through South Central and Watts, and have never seen anything remotely illegal. Therefore, all the crime reports indicating otherwise are obviously lies!

There was even a shooting/hostage taking on the Pier a few years ago. I'm sure everyone will say I'm lying, but it happened. Again, not the norm, but an issue that SM has been dealing with for some time now.
Things like that can happen anywhere though. It's not even that big of an issue if I can bring my daugther there. Danger never even crosses my mind. To call it a non-family friendly place is pretty silly as every time I go I see families there with children of all ages. .

Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Maybe I go the wrong time or something.

I guarantee that, in the evening, it isn't family friendly. Lots of teenagers flashing gang signs, occasional brawls, and the like. Definitely not a posh West Side crowd, and not a family friendly crowd of any background.
It's not about being defensive. It's about total untruths. And whether you lived here in 2006 or were last here in March, statements like this cause people like myself and others to respond. I actually laughed when I read your post, especially about the 'posh westside residents'.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:

Why on Earth would your opinion carry more weight those who actually live there? You've characterized the place as so dangerous as to be less than "family friendly" and otherwise "unsavory". There are places around town that absolutely fit that description. Santa Monica Pier is simply not one of them.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I don't see how L.A.can be compared to urban cities like Chicago, SF or NYC. It's so different.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Why do we ask questions that even someone with autism could easily answer?

I don't mean any offense to disabled people. I apologize if anyone would take it that way in advance.

It's like asking which is more Russian, Moscow or Tampa.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 PM

572 posts, read 708,656 times
I love all these city data people who love to think how dangerous LA is. It's most likely much safer than whatever city they reside in.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 PM

Some dude from Dallas or Houston calling LA crime ridden.

Hilarious.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 PM

Does anyone realize the FBI named LA the safest city in 2013 for cities over 400,000 people? It's also safer than cities under 400,000.

Miami, Newark, Cincinnati, New Orleans, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City