Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 AM

391 posts, read 753,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenap View Post
LA, by far.

What % of the world has heard of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Rodeo Drive? 70%?

What % of the world has heard of Willis Tower, Millenium Park and Michigan Ave? 10-15%?

Now Chicago beats LA in many things, but definitely not global reputation. LA is a super-iconic city, rivaled only by NYC, Paris, London and the like. Chicago is definitely not as well-known globally, and ranks behind NYC, LA, Vegas, Miami, Orlando, SF, and Washington in terms of global recognition.
I would probably say 10-15% of the world's population having heard of Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive.

As for the Chicago neighborhoods, that percentage is probably not over 0.1%, if not smaller. I have never heard of any of those things and I consider myself knowing a lot of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
Chicago has no major world icons (arguably the skyline itself is an icon, but has no official designation): but it ranks top 3 in terms of mentions in music, art (especially architecture) and literature for US cities. If you're studied in those fields, Chicago's going to come up a lot.

In reality though, the only neighborhoods that are known worldwide in the US all exist in NYC and LA. Other cities have a lot of icons, but the average joe doesn't have an idea of how they function, what they're most famous neighborhoods are, etc....

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I really don't think Los Angeles has anything to compare with the likes of Millennium Park in Chicago. Partially due to the weather, but the ice skating scene is pretty big there and after Central Park it's probably the next largest and well known rink in the country.

Los Angeles has nothing like the Magnificent Mile. L.A. may have more high end shops overall, but it doesn't offer the feeling or view that the Magnificent Mile does.
There is not really anything in Los Angeles like Millennium Park, at least at the size and scale. Grand Park is the closest and it is a lot smaller. However I could flip that and say there is nothing like Griffith Park in Chicago.

I'd say that LA's answer to the Mag Mile is Rodeo, though it is quite a bit different and the buildings are only 2-4 stories tall. Not sure I would say what is "better", neither are really my cup of tea.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I would never be jealous if I had friends in Chicago telling me that. Are you kidding? That's like being jealous of a Honda Civic? I don't have to sit in any traffic to get to my nearest beach. I can either walk, take the bus, or just ride my bike, and once I get there, nothing in Chicago can compare. I seriously can't compute how you included Chicago and beaches in the same sentence in a positive light over LA. Wow.
Obviously if you're lucky enough to live near the beach and afford the rent then the story is different.

If you live closer to Central LA like myself, you have to drive.

While Chicago doesn't have an nice beaches of course as Southern California, they are much easier to get to without driving generally than Los Angeles.

The 704 takes over an hour to get to Santa Monica.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
I would probably say 10-15% of the world's population having heard of Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive.
You think only 10% of the world has heard of Hollywood?

I think most of the people even somewhere like Nigeria have heard of Hollywood.

In most of the world, excepting extreme elderly or isolated, I think recognition of Hollywood is close to 100%.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
You think only 10% of the world has heard of Hollywood?

I think most of the people even somewhere like Nigeria have heard of Hollywood.

In most of the world, excepting extreme elderly or isolated, I think recognition of Hollywood is close to 100%.
You're right about that, they call their film industry "nollywood"

Cinema of Nigeria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
In the voting polls Chicago is making a slight comeback! Went from 73% for LA and 27% for Chicago to 70% for LA and 30% for Chicago. Hey, this is a lot closer than my LA vs NYC thread which had NYC at 90% and LA at 10%.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
In the voting polls Chicago is making a slight comeback! Went from 73% for LA and 27% for Chicago to 70% for LA and 30% for Chicago. Hey, this is a lot closer than my LA vs NYC thread which had NYC at 90% and LA at 10%.
Yea any poll can make a comeback with phantom votes

Old 11-13-2013, 01:11 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Who cares, City Data is not really well known for using scientific data.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Who cares, City Data is not really well known for using scientific data.
Does this upset you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City