Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Vincent Orange Proposes Building 100,000-Seat Superdome, Says It's The 'Future' Of D.C.: DCist

Multiple members of the D.C. Council are proposing to build a Superdome Redskins Stadium Entertainment Complex that would include a 100,000 seat domed stadium, a Hotel Complex (Donald Trump is in talks on the hotel complex), 18-Hole PGA Championship level golf course, multi-media sound stage, Ellsworth J. Davis Film and Photography Center, and Indoor Water Park.
This really does seem like such a waste. Besides the Redskins do just fine at the relatively new FedEx Field. The whole thing sounds horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Ummmm......what part of his comments "They have been talking about that line for decades" would make you think my response was not appropriate?

Also, can't speak for other cities, but D.C.'s stadium entertainment complexes spur major development in their surrounding neighborhoods. If it was another city, I would agree, however, we do stadium districts better than anyone. They end up paying for themselves in about 10 years in D.C. and then some.
DC does everything better, huh? I need to re-read your posts every once and a while to remember why I have you blocked.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Ummmm......what part of his comments "They have been talking about that line for decades" would make you think my response was not appropriate?

Also, can't speak for other cities, but D.C.'s stadium entertainment complexes spur major development in their surrounding neighborhoods. If it was another city, I would agree, however, we do stadium districts better than anyone. They end up paying for themselves in about 10 years in D.C. and then some.
The part where they're still talking about it and there's no current construction much less a funding commitment.

That stadium district is bread and circus crap for a failing empire. Luckily, it's a proposal which also has no current construction much less a funding commitment.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

are you certain about that

The Wizards and Capitals have an arean in the DT - would in no form call that a district. Nationals park is pretty sterile still and FedEx - off a highway and sharing parking with a super church?

Nationals park seems like it will get better but look at developments in places like SD, SF, or Houston and think there is at worst comparable development

Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The part where they're still talking about it and there's no current construction much less a funding commitment.

That stadium district is bread and circus crap for a failing empire. Luckily, it's a proposal which also has no current construction much less a funding commitment.

Never said the stadium proposal would happen. I was responding to your assumption that what seems to fail in other cities isn't working in D.C. All of our stadiums are paying for themselves. What is the problem?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Never said the stadium proposal would happen. I was responding to your assumption that what seems to fail in other cities isn't working in D.C. All of our stadiums are paying for themselves. What is the problem?
I didn't say anything about what seems to fail in other cities working or not working in DC. I said it was a waste of time and resources and that's part and parcel of our high retards to wealth ratio in the US.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
are you certain about that

The Wizards and Capitals have an arean in the DT - would in no form call that a district. Nationals park is pretty sterile still and FedEx - off a highway and sharing parking with a super church?

Nationals park seems like it will get better but look at developments in places like SD, SF, or Houston and think there is worst comparable development

Fed Ex is not in D.C. so that's already out.......

National's Park is a giant construction zone, how long do you think these things take? And yes, the city has seen increased tax revenue that will have the stadium paid for in a few more years. You can google that yourself.

Houston, SF, SD? I don't see any vibrant urban districts in those cities around their stadiums? Could you please point me to what you are talking about? All I see is parking lots and low intensity development.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I didn't say anything about what seems to fail in other cities working or not working in DC. I said it was a waste of time and resources and that's part and parcel of our high retards to wealth ratio in the US.
How is a privately funded stadium Verizon Center, or publically funded stadium that the city has been pretty much reimbursed for Nationals Park a waste of resources? This proposal, if done, would be a privately funded project. D.C. would only pay a minimal amount for something like this or it wouldn't happen. I think since most other cities publically fund their projects, you guys seem to think everybody is doing that. Nope, many things done here are privately funded. Shoot, the Purple Line is going to make history as the MOST privately funded transit line ever.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

558 posts, read 716,020 times
Quote:
Fed Ex is not in D.C. so that's already out.......

National's Park is a giant construction zone, how long do you think these things take? And yes, the city has seen increased tax revenue that will have the stadium paid for in a few more years. You can google that yourself.

Houston, SF, SD? I don't see any vibrant urban districts in those cities around their stadiums? Could you please point me to what you are talking about? All I see is parking lots and low intensity development.
The Giants Stadium right in SOMA along the waterfront isn't a vibrant urban district? I mean there is a parking lots across the water in Mission Bay (soon to be redeveloped) but you'd be hard pressed to find a surface parking lot of significant size anywhere in SOMA, and the few that exist won't be there long. The area around there is as urban as anywhere in Downtown DC, with building heights to match. The upcoming Warriors Arena on the Embarcedero? You've gotta be kidding me!

http://thumbs.****/z/san-f...m-28506637.jpg
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/13/24/53...14/628x471.jpg

I'm not sure why anyone on this thread takes you seriously after that comment.

Last edited by JMT; 11-07-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
http://www.stadiumdistrict.org/media...20-FINAL-W.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City