Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM

56 posts, read 79,160 times

Advertisements

We already know that most MSA on this list has tons of development. Point of this thread is, Which MSA has the MOST major projects coming up: ATL, HOU, DAL, L.A., Seattle, D.C., Philly, Bos, San Fran, or Chi?. Nothing wrong with someone posting a list of projects under construction, approved, or most likely will be built. It's not like its a list of pipe dream projects, most of these were put on hold from 07 and 08 and are now coming around. Chicago and Houston has an impressive list so far and I'm curious to see a list of projects for other cities on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
LA will be a changed city in 20+ years. Check out this article:

This Is What Los Angeles Could Look Like In 2033

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
^ Cool projects. I like the drawing for the Broadway one. The first one reminds me of a project in Chicago that may happen in which they want to cap part of the Kennedy Expressway just west of the Loop (i.e. Sears Tower) and make it into a seamless park and pedestrian type of area: https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...56993158_n.jpg

Then of course, there's the Old Post Office Redevelopment, which who knows if it will happen - but city council this summer approved phase 1. Total size is 5 million sq feet and $1.5 billion. Thousands of rental units, office space, retail space, etc. I think phase 1 of the plan includes building a 100 story tower. Phase 2? A 170 story, 2000 foot skyscraper...

[Interactive] Old Post Office Plan Approved with 100-Story Tower, But 170-Story Skyscraper Will Wait | The Chicago Architecture Blog

But happening right now is Wolf Point with its 50, 70, and 90 story buildings. 6 story below grade parking structure being built right now along with the 50 story west (left in the bottom picture) tower. Plans got held up because there was a lawsuit from the owners of some condos across the river (really stupid lawsuit that the judge threw out):

Before: http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/164/289164.jpg
After: http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/proposed-wolf-point1A.jpg

That area is going to be cool in a few years from the river because where you see the train tracks in that first pic on the left is where a 700+ foot high rise is being built right now (River Point - there is a man made tunnel for the tracks right now). Next to that is another 700+ foot high rise which starts construction in July.

In Chicagoland too, there is a project at O'Hare Airport to build a new 820,000 sq ft cargo center that will make Chicago's traffic for cargo even greater. They broke ground at the end of October
City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel and Aviation Officials Break Ground on Major Cargo Project at O'Hare International Airport

Last edited by marothisu; 02-06-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM

56 posts, read 79,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
LA will be a changed city in 20+ years. Check out this article:

This Is What Los Angeles Could Look Like In 2033
Wow, those are nice projects, the future looks great for L.A!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Two of the biggest projects under construction in SF right now are the central subway and transbay terminal. As for skyscrapers, here are the tallest approved/under construction projects in San Francisco (300'+ in height):

Transbay Tower - 1,070' - site prep
181 Fremont - 802' - under construction
One Rincon Hill north tower - 550' - under construction/topped out
350 Mission - 455' - under construction
399 Fremont - 450' - site prep
45 Lansing - 450' - under construction
340 Fremont - 440' - site prep
Lumina tower 1 - 450' - under construction
Lumina tower 2 - 400' - under construction
535 Mission - 380' - under construction
10th and Market - 360' - under construction/topped out
222 2nd - 350' - under construction
299 Fremont - 300' - site prep

There are probably a dozen more in the 100-300' range approved/under construction/in site prep, plus a couple dozen more high rises proposed, including a 915' tower.

Last edited by rah; 02-06-2014 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
In terms of transit projects, I'd have to guess that L.A. has the most under construction or pending with:
- Expo light rail phase 2 (under construction)
- Crenshaw light rail (under construction)
- Gold Line light rail extension (under construction)
- Downtown connector light rail (pre-construction/utility relocation)
- Purple Line subway (pre-construction/utility relocation)

By the end of this year L.A. is likely to have five light/heavy rail projects being constructed simultaneously.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
In terms of transit projects, I'd have to guess that L.A. has the most under construction or pending with:
- Expo light rail phase 2 (under construction)
- Crenshaw light rail (under construction)
- Gold Line light rail extension (under construction)
- Downtown connector light rail (pre-construction/utility relocation)
- Purple Line subway (pre-construction/utility relocation)

By the end of this year L.A. is likely to have five light/heavy rail projects being constructed simultaneously.

Do you know how many miles of each line will be under construction? L.A. seems to be on fire with transit expansion. It's too bad D.C. couldn't do something like L.A. has done with the tax for transit. Very progressive in my opinion.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Do you know how many miles of each line will be under construction? L.A. seems to be on fire with transit expansion. It's too bad D.C. couldn't do something like L.A. has done with the tax for transit. Very progressive in my opinion.
The 3 lines under construction (Expo, Crenshaw and Gold) are 29 miles. Phase 1 of the Purple Line is 4 miles, and the downtown connector is 2 miles.

So 35 miles of new rail is/will be under construction by the end of this year.

Hopefully we'll pass a tax extension to really expedite more of these projects. We really need a world class rail transit system here!

I love DC's metro!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
The 3 lines under construction (Expo, Crenshaw and Gold) are 29 miles. Phase 1 of the Purple Line is 4 miles, and the downtown connector is 2 miles.

So 35 miles of new rail is/will be under construction by the end of this year.

Hopefully we'll pass a tax extension to really expedite more of these projects. We really need a world class rail transit system here!

I love DC's metro!
That tax is revolutionary in my opinion. I couldn't see D.C. building something as large as what L.A. is building right now by taxing themselves. To maneuver the logistics of that is pretty impressive in my opinion. We have three different governments that compete with each other for everything. Virginia has to pay for their own stuff, Maryland has to pay for their own stuff, D.C. has to pay for their own stuff. I couldn't imagine needing them to work together to build a regional rail transportation system in 2014. LOL.....no chance!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Cool info guys...

We also have some very cool transit projects(approx 105 miles of new track) that are going to expand service wayyyyy out to near or past the MSA border.

Central Subway in SF is a 1.7 mile project through the heart of DT.
Central Subway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BART to San Jose is a 16-mile extension
Projects | bart.gov

BART to Livermore is a 4.8 mile extension
Livermore Extension | bart.gov

BART Connector to Oakland Airport is a 3.2-mile extension
Oakland airport BART tram to open in fall 2014 - SFGate

eBART to Eastern Contra Costa County is a 9-mile extension
East Contra Costa BART Extension Project - Railway Technology

SMART train is a brand new commuter rail system that is 70 miles long.
Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City