Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM

28 posts, read 35,916 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! Could you please help me figure out, which out of these cities is more fit to my lifestyle? Let me describe myself a little bit more. I'm not anymore looking for any kind of huge city like NYC or LA. On the contrary, I'd love to live in a city with more soul and more nature-city balance. What's important is being clean. I've read that SF is a really filthy city, is that true? My language school, in which I'd take classes is located in Nob Hill - it is a very good neighbourhood, but what about the rest of the city? Another factor is weather. I've read that it doesn't rain THAT MUCH in Seattle. Is that true? It could rain a little bit, but overall I'd like to stay in a sunny place with no horrid winters. Overall, I'm a foodie, who loves being outside. I'd love to live in a place, which has some trails and good scenery, which could be enjoyed out of bike. Places with good, cheap food is also a must! I don't know what else should I say, just ask me, if you have any questions.. Oh, and the school which has location Seattle is truly located in Olympia - it's an hour away from Seattle, right? But what do you think about that environment?

xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Seattle>Portland(Maine)>SF>Wilmington

Old 11-01-2013, 04:23 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,423,320 times
I love SF, but, yes, it is dirty, and no, it isn't small, so probably take that out of the equation. Take out Seattle too, for the same reasons (but somewhat smaller and less dirty).

Wilmington, DE or NC?

To me, comparing Portland, Maine, and either Wilimington, and then Seattle and SF, is completely random.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:10 PM

@michivegas

I didn't say I want to live in a small city. I just don't want to live in a huge one.

Wilmington, NC.

It's not random. I tried to put most 'outdoor' cities from both coasts based on what I've read and it turned out to be SF and Seattle on the West C. and Portland and Wilmington on the other. Doesn't sound random to me.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandraspberry View Post
Hi y'all! Could you please help me figure out, which out of these cities is more fit to my lifestyle? Let me describe myself a little bit more. I'm not anymore looking for any kind of huge city like NYC or LA. On the contrary, I'd love to live in a city with more soul and more nature-city balance. What's important is being clean. I've read that SF is a really filthy city, is that true? My language school, in which I'd take classes is located in Nob Hill - it is a very good neighbourhood, but what about the rest of the city? Another factor is weather. I've read that it doesn't rain THAT MUCH in Seattle. Is that true? It could rain a little bit, but overall I'd like to stay in a sunny place with no horrid winters. Overall, I'm a foodie, who loves being outside. I'd love to live in a place, which has some trails and good scenery, which could be enjoyed out of bike. Places with good, cheap food is also a must! I don't know what else should I say, just ask me, if you have any questions.. Oh, and the school which has location Seattle is truly located in Olympia - it's an hour away from Seattle, right? But what do you think about that environment?

xx
Seattle rains a total of 37" a year, that's where the "it doesn't rain that much" comes from. However you're looking for a sunny place and Seattle is very sunny during its almost 2 months of glorious summer-- not so much the rest of the year. Olympia OTOH rains 52" yearly, equally cloudy and its winter is actually a bit worse than Seattle's. Olympia is an hour away from Seattle... nontraffic.

If you don't want harsh winters, why even include Portland, Maine? Your better options are either SF if you can afford it and Wilmington.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 AM

@inkpoe

I've seen photos and Seattle is stunning in summer, that's why I took it into consideration. Besides, I love all the parks and hiking trails. It's like a paradise! I could also cycle a lot. The gloomy days however worry me a little... The distance from Olympia is other bomer.

I've included Portland, because I thought its winter aren't as harsh as Chicago's e.g, but I guess I haven't done enough research.

I will seriously consider Wilmington. Have you ever been there? Could you tell me something about it?

Thanks for input!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
Wilmington is very cute and underrated, I have no idea about the food scene - check the NC forum. A city with a celebrated food scene is Charleston SC, it will be more expensive than Wilmington but nowhere near SF.

Maybe Savannah if they have bus service to the beach? Or did you choose Wilmington beccause of a school location?

Olympia is supposed to be cheaper than Seattle, so that might be worth considering. Does the school provide housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City